Yellow wings colour question

Hi all,

Can anybody recomend a good match for the yellow used on the wings of 20's and 30's USAAC and USN aircraft? I have starfighter's p-6e sheet and it only lists the yellow as yellow #4. Also am I correct in the thought that the USAAC and USN shades were different?

Cheers,

Rusty.

Hi all,

Can anybody recomend a good match for the yellow used on the wings of 20's and 30's USAAC and USN aircraft? I have starfighter's p-6e sheet and it only lists the yellow as yellow #4. Also am I correct in the thought that the USAAC and USN shades were different?

Cheers,

Rusty.

Polly Scale offered the color for years. You may want to check around the various on-line retailers and see if they have any left. I was able to buy it direct from Testors up to last year, until I scored a bunch from a local wholesale dealer. Tamiya Camel Yellow, TS-34 is a pretty close match. Testors Grabber Orange (28105) is almost dead on for Yellow 4. Yes, the USAAC is more Orange than Yellow. Tamiya Camel Yellow is the best match for the USN Color, as is FS13538 Chrome Yellow. But can be used in a pinch without too much fuss or complaining.

Thanks for the help mate, I never would have even thought to look at the grabber orange.Anything I have to worry about with the laquer? I pretty much only ever use acrylics so I dont know is there any special treatment needed?

Edited by rustywelder