Gunze paint mixes for FS 35190?

35189 is PRU blue, and that looks *awfully* close to me. What are you doing that uses 35190? I've never heard of a use for that color on an aircraft...

Some of the recon Spitfires used PRU blue. Not sure about 35190, maybe on a Flanker though, it is similar to the light blue on the basic Flanker scheme. Edited by JasonW

Gobs of RAF and even some USAAF aircraft used PRU blue right up to fairly recent times. And PRU blue is very similar to USN early WWII Blue-Gray if you're looking for a starting point to mix something.

FWIW, I've been mixing model paint for upwards of 40 years, and I've never once, ever, used any kind of ratio or formula to do it. Pick an off the shelf color that's reasonably close, and start mixing. The key is to add a *little* bit at a time. It's easier to add more than to take away what you don't want. It's not nearly as hard as people make it out to be, and the absolute *worst* case scenario is you waste a few bucks worth of model paint if you screw it up. Then you start over. Sometimes I keep a running record of what I did, but not usually. More often than not, I end up with exactly what I want, and it's *guaranteed* not to be the same as anyone else's model!

:)

J

I stumbled across something really interesting this evening. In the Begemot instructions for SU-30s, it lists FS 35190 as the blue, so I mixed it according to the help I got from JasonW, however, I looked at it, sprayed it, and it just seemed WAY too dark, yet it matched up EXACTLY to the FS color chip, could the instructions have been THAT far off? Hmmm, so I looked at some of the Adversary F-16Bs that use this same color, but they seemed MUCH brighter, almost turquoise, just like the flanker. So I was confused, but then I held my painted part VERY close to my desk lamp light, and presto! It was that light blue/turquoise color on the SU-30 and F-16Bs. I guess we as modelers sometimes forget that pretty much all of our reference photos are taken OUTSIDE with the extremely bright light of the sun. Some of you have probably heard of the scale effect of paint, but what about the "sun effect?" I found that by trying to use some white for the scale effect, it also simulated the effect of more bright light, by bringing it closer to the light blue. Thoughts?