1:48 Hobby Boss F-14A

Hello ARC frequenters,

It winds down to completing this 6 month build on my birthday :yahoo: I think it was a mid-life crisis when I discovered building models, but dam it's a bundle of good times... and headaches... Lots of AM were used, since I am not into scratch building... yet... This is my second build using an AB and my first attempt at super details. First attempt using Chuck540z3 salt weathering guideline and I think it turned out pretty good. My main issue with the build is that I unknowingly at the time gouged out the rivets a bit too much, but hopefully I don't make the same mistake twice...

I used many of your tools and tips advice and a few build logs (Geedubelyer, Chuck540z3, JohnS, Anders, Erik G) as references. I just watch and read and try to duplicate some great techniques that are posted on ARC. Not much is free these days except for knowledge...

I hope you enjoy my weathered Navy feline :thumbsup: and there are many pictures.

displaycasef-14A005-1.jpg

displaycasef-14A002-1.jpg

displaycase2005-1.jpg

displaycase2001-1.jpg

displaycasef-14A051-1.jpg

displaycasef-14A013-1.jpg

displaycasef-14A014-1.jpg

displaycasef-14A003-1.jpg

displaycasef-14A026-1.jpg

displaycasef-14A030-1.jpg

wonderful to see this here in the display case; well done Jess this is a job very well done.

+1 I agree... Thanks so much dryguy and for all your help and input... See you soon.

Looking good!

Much appreciation fulcrum1 :D

Very nicely done ... :clap2:

Glad you like it jfmajor60 :salute:

Absolutely beautiful Tomcat. I love the weathering. I built one of these things for a friend a few years back but it never came close to looking like yours. How did you build the base. Is that a picture you printed off then glued to a piece of wood? I really like it it looks Fantastic.

Absolutely beautiful Tomcat. I love the weathering. I built one of these things for a friend a few years back but it never came close to looking like yours. How did you build the base. Is that a picture you printed off then glued to a piece of wood? I really like it it looks Fantastic.

Thanks a million Devilleader501 :rolleyes:

Someone else made the base:

http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/twd48002.htm

:cheers:

/Jesse

Wow. :thumbsup2: What an end result! You have inspired me Jesse - I can't wait to start building again, my first kit will be my F-14.

BTW - On the photo of the burners (upside down), the burner on the right seems to have lost a bit of it's paint - or it might just be me. :doh:

Thanks for sharing your build!

WWWWWWOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW

Perfect my friend, well done!!!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes: Thanks man, I'm flattered.

YAY! She's done! Magnificent, Sir. :worship:

ChippyWho, thanks for following my build :cheers:

Fantastic work, Jesse! :woot.gif:

The build, the paintjob and the weathering is top notch modelling! :thumbsup:

Awesome!!!

Thanks again Janne, now I can focus on your Alicat build.

Wow. :thumbsup2: What an end result! You have inspired me Jesse - I can't wait to start building again, my first kit will be my F-14.

BTW - On the photo of the burners (upside down), the burner on the right seems to have lost a bit of it's paint - or it might just be me. :doh:

Thanks for sharing your build!

I'm glad I could light a fire under your butt, thanks Keeto. Yes I will just touch it up a bit ( 5 minute job), I just wanted to get the final post done :doh:Don't really know why I ignored this for so long <_<

That's one Cool Cat! Totally breath taking weathering. This has been a wonderful build to watch, thanks for a Great Job!

Glad I could make a union fitter happy, although it's hard to do sometimes :P. And yes the weathering really made this build more glamorous than it is.

/Jesse

It winds down to completing this 6 month build on my birthday

Hi Jesse,

Let me wish you a belated happy birthday and congratulate you on six months well spent. :thumbsup:

You've achieved a remarkable result with your Tomcat, great job. I'm sure you've learnt a great deal and look forward to seeing your next model with eager anticipation.

I noticed that you coloured the right wing tip light in red. On the real deal it's a bluey-green colour. I'm not sure if you could correct it or even whether you're bothered by it but I thought I should mention it just in case. ;)

>> Here <<

(You could use a similar colour to what you used on the right wing glove if you plan on altering it.)

Thanks for taking the time to share your project. I've enjoyed the journey. :)

Cheers,

Edited by geedubelyer

you see a lot of F-14's 16's and so on in these forums and after a while, they all start to look the same...but every now and then, a real work of art shows up, and for me, this is one of them.

That is some of the best painting and detailing I've seen in a while, so I took an long trawl through your entire WIP and I am now racked with jealousy. <_<

I've definitely taken notes on your weathering processes and will employ them on my next jet build (when-ever that'll be)

Well done bro - Six months very well spent!

MH

Awesome! You did a tremendous job on it. The missiles look exceptional as well

Thanks for stopping by 233monte :D Glad you liked the missiles since they were very time consuming...

Wow, that's one crack-a-lackin' build! I wished my builds were at least as half as good as yours. :thumbsup: The base looks amazing too.

White Wolf you are very kind, but I've seen your builds and they are every bit as good as this build :salute:

Hi Jesse,

Let me wish you a belated happy birthday and congratulate you on six months well spent. :thumbsup:

You've achieved a remarkable result with your Tomcat, great job. I'm sure you've learnt a great deal and look forward to seeing your next model with eager anticipation.

I noticed that you coloured the right wing tip light in red. On the real deal it's a bluey-green colour. I'm not sure if you could correct it or even whether you're bothered by it but I thought I should mention it just in case. ;)

>> Here <<

(You could use a similar colour to what you used on the right wing glove if you plan on altering it.)

Thanks for taking the time to share your project. I've enjoyed the journey. :)

Cheers,

Thank you Guy for the birthday wishes :D I also appreciate all your kind words and advice... Thanks for reminding me about the wing tip light... Actually at one point in the painting process, the plan was to paint it greenish blue, so I'm not sure why I have forgotten to do it <_<. Thanks for the link and your willingness to help a guy out :thumbsup: See you soon!

you see a lot of F-14's 16's and so on in these forums and after a while, they all start to look the same...but every now and then, a real work of art shows up, and for me, this is one of them.

That is some of the best painting and detailing I've seen in a while, so I took an long trawl through your entire WIP and I am now racked with jealousy. <_<

I've definitely taken notes on your weathering processes and will employ them on my next jet build (when-ever that'll be)

Well done bro - Six months very well spent!

MH

Madhatter, I'm really glad that you got sucked into my WIP :D Much appreciation from here... I would love to see you put together a jet aircraft, because I know what you can do when it comes to Sci-Fi... with that said you could certainly use this technique for one of your Sci-Fi ships.... I'm just sayin' :cheers:

This is a awesome looking tomcat, the weathering is pure magic !!

Great job Jesse !

Cheers, Patrick

:blush: I'm flattered... Thanks for following the build and I hope you can save the F-16 :closedeyes:

/Jesse

Yes Jesse, i can save her. But first of all, i need a little break from my viper, she made me mad :deadhorse1:

currently i'm working on a bitburg eagle, but without WIP. She's 80% finished.

I have two Tomcat's on my stash, so i will take the weathering of your cat as a reference! I like that idea with the

salt.

Cheers, Patrick

Ahhhhhhh......sweetness....Jess you made that bird into something I'm sure HB folks will be emailing you on the possibility of using it to show the rest of the modeling world just how truly fine a build this kit can be. Be sure when they ask, that you get royalties, like maybe 10 free kits of which you can give me one those T'cats so I can mangle it :whistle: . What you have done with that kit will be inspirational for all others who build it after you. I, for sure will be using yours as a guide. The weathering and exhausts are simply exquisite :gr_hail: . :smiley-whacky084:

Edited by #1 Greywolf