Hey everybody!

Here's my build for this cool GB!!!

A ESCI MIrage F-1, what a nice kit :)

DSC08169.jpg

A little progress:

DSC08170.jpg

The fit is okay, but the clear parts looks like crap....

Much more to follow!

Mikkel

It will be surely a very interesting build, Mikkel :thumbsup:

Are you planning to do a "maritime strike" Mirage or a bird with land camo?

Take care, as ESCI painting instructions & markings are totally wrong :bandhead2:

Mikkel, I was looking to make the Revell 1:72 Mirage F.1EQ in Iraqi colours too.

Just one question. The box art shows the tail with an extension at the base where

it meets the fuselage, but I can't see that replicated on the kit from the shot you've provided?

Is it on the kit, or if not, will you be making one up?

Cheers

Deacon

Janne, I'm think to replace 'em with a pair of Heller parts, the look much more real, the esci is very flat:

If you look at this one (very good build!!!)

Linky

To me it looks wierd :)

Diego, I really don't know what to build, what looks must cool? Do you know if there is a good three view drawing of the Iraqi Mirage F-1?

Thanks Deacon!, I didn't see that, I'll have too make one then dry.gif

And for your inspiration:

Saddam Air force (loads of pop up's, sorry for that, and the chat is a little....:blink: ) great photos though

And the best Iraqi air force thread I know of:

The Old Iraqi Air Force

Cheers,

Mikkel

Thanks Deacon!, I didn't see that, I'll have too make one then dry.gif

Sorry mate, :crying2: I was hoping that your photo of the kit had flattened it out, or that you had found evidence of Iraqi Mirages with the standard tail.

Deacon

Diego, I really don't know what to build, what looks must cool? Do you know if there is a good three view drawing of the Iraqi Mirage F-1?

And the best Iraqi air force thread I know of:

The Old Iraqi Air Force

Hi Mikkel,

Well, there are 2 schemes:

1) the land scheme - used by most IrAF F-1EQ - sand & khaki green (not brown!) over light grey undesides

2) the maritime scheme applied on the EQ5 & EQ6 used for maritime strike missions with AM-39 Exocet missile - dark slate grey over white

(Have a look on page 7 and page 16 of "old IrAF" tread you mentionned above)

"Cool loads" could be:

- maritime strike: 1 x AM-39 ,two fuel tanks, 2 x ECM pods and 2 x Matra 550 AAMs on wingtips (this was the "full operational load for maritime strike for the grey camouflaged birds)

- air superiority: 1 x fuel tank, 2 x Matra 530 & 2 x 550 AAMs

- long range bombing: 1 x big "Iraqi" fuel tank (can be found in Heller F-1CT boxing) and 2 x US Mk-84 bombs ( as used to attack the Bushehr nuclear reactor )

- wild weasel: 1 x "BAZAR" anti radar missile, 2 x fuel tanks and 2 x Matra 550 AAMS

- precison attack with 2 x AS-30L or 2 x LGBs and 1 x ATLIS guidance pod, as well as 2 x Matra 550 AAMs

There were also some F-1EQs wearing kill markings, "4014" having 14 kill markings applied (actually 2 kill were obtained on this a/c)

All EQs had an "enlarged" dorsal fin, as correctly illustrated on the ESCI boxing.

Depending from the version ( F-1EQ,EQ2,BQ3,EQ4,EQ5,EQ6 were upplied) there will be also differences between the fin tip antennae (late EQ5 & EQ6) and some other details.

Please don't hesitate to ask if you would need any help with this project.

We are working on a decal sheet for IrAF (including 4014)and IRIAF Mirage F-1EQs in all these schemes, but the sheet will be released in late 2012/early 2013, as there are some other projects going simultaneously.

greetings

Diego

Edited by Diego

All EQs had an "enlarged" dorsal fin, as correctly illustrated on the ESCI boxing.

Depending from the version ( F-1EQ,EQ2,BQ3,EQ4,EQ5,EQ6 were upplied) there will be also differences between the fin tip antennae (late EQ5 & EQ6) and some other details.

Diego

This raises an interesting point as Wings Palette shows both 4014 and 4041 as having standard fins!

I'm really interested in what is right as I want to build an Iraqi F1 myself, hence why I qestioned

the fin on Mikkel's Heller build.

Deacon

This raises an interesting point as Wings Palette shows both 4014 and 4041 as having standard fins!

I'm really interested in what is right as I want to build an Iraqi F1 myself, hence why I qestioned

the fin on Mikkel's Heller build.

Deacon

Well, being early Mirage F.1EQs, 4014 and 4041 have the standard fin antennae configurations, like on the Hasegawa/Revell kit, but all IrAF Mirages had the fin base extension, like 4016:

MIRAGE+F-1EQ+4016+IRAQUI+FRANCIA+A%C3%91OS+80.JPG (not my shot - maybe a pre delivery photo coming from Dassault)

Being a compilation from many sources, the profiles from WP should be used with extreme care...

Greetings

Diego

Edited by Diego

This is great Diego.

But are we saying that Mikkel is able to produce a F1.EQ with his Esci Kit, so no need for him to

modify it?

Deacon

You will only need to do the small fin base extention if doing a F.1EQ, EQ2 or early EQ5.

The EQ4 will need a small, rectangular panel to be added under the nose,the fin antennae being the same as on the a.m. versions.

Late EQ5 and EQ6 will need new, more rectangular antenna fairings on the fin for the "Sherlock" system.

Of course, there are some more small things that could be made on the ESCI bird to have a really correct F.1

Iraqi F.1 EQ 4/5/6 have also the MB Mk.10 ejection seat fitted.

As commented already, Iraqi markings are completely wrong in the ESCI offering.

You will need an aftermarket sheet or -alternatively- to find an example that flew without national markings (and there were many IrAF F.1 to do this)- this means you will only need to find the respective serial numbers...

Greetings

Diego

Edited by Diego

Are you two trying to confuse me ???:blink: :D

thanks for all that infomation!

I've allready made the fin thing, which I shall do, right?

Now the decals are wrong to? damn, I think I'll do a Maritime version :)

I'll pos some photo's tomorrow!

Cheers

Mikkel

• 2 weeks later...

A bit shamed of my self, for not posting progress, so here goes!

be aware that this is a WORK IN PROGRESS dry.gif:whistle: :D :P

Remade the canopy, using a spare from a Revell Mirage III

IraqiMirage.jpg

And to compare the kit part, sorry for the dirty nail, I've cleaned my bike today, god it needed it!!

IraqiMirage4.jpg

overall, still needs a bit of filler here and there :( I used the kit seat, looks like crap, but haven't got a better one.

IraqiMirage3.jpg

the fin, It's from a Heller Mirage that I conveted to a Libyan one, never got it finished though.

IraqiMirage2.jpg

feel free to comment!

Mikkel

• 2 weeks later...