Yellow wings for Douglas Devastator

I hope someone can help me with this question. A long time ago I built a Monogram, 1/48, Douglas Devastator in pre WWII colors. I painted the wings FS-13538 and the tail and stabilizers Pactra Lemon Yellow. I was told it looked great but that I had the colors backwards. Meaning the Wings should have been Pactra Lemon Yellow and the tail FS-13538. Where can I find out what colors were supposed to be used?

Thank You,

You had it more or less correct. Lemon Yellow was used as a section ID color and also the color to identify USS Lexington Air Group.

Orange Yellow (some refer to it as chrome yellow; FS13538 is close but maybe not quite orange enough for some) was used on the upper surfaces of the wings.

Lemon yellow is brigher and lighter than orange yellow.

• 1 month later...

I'll add my 2 pfinnings worth: lemon yellow for tail and stripe, orange Yellow (Chrome Yellow) for the wings. Army Air Corps wings were an even deeper orange. This is upper surface on navy wings, only, and wrapping arpound the leading edge to 1/8th chord width on the bottom of the wing. rest of the wing was aluminum paint. Hal Sr