'The third shall be first'

Gents,

Just returned from my first trip of 2012 upto the RAF's premier fighter station (probably the only one we'll have soon with the way things are going) at Coningsby. The top priority was to get some pics of the first RAF Typhoon 'special', as ZJ936 has been marked by 3(F) Squadron for their hundreth anniversary. Luckily they flew it several times over two days allowing pictures from most angles. Hope nobody minds a post of pics showing just the one airframe.

'The third shall be first'. The jet carries extra markings on the airbrake that can only be seen properly when deployed, and despite several other pilots flying regular grey jets rotating the brake for the camera, no luck with this one.

IMG_9897.jpg

3(F) Sqn battle honours.

IMG_9883.jpg

The fin.

IMG_9890.jpg

Leading the posse down from the shelters.

IMG_0280.jpg

Didn't get the airbrake but at least he waved!

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0118-1.jpg

Returning on 25.

IMG_01962.jpg

IMG_9915.jpg

Finally, turning off the far end.

IMG_00692.jpg

Not all shot on the one sortie I must add! I'll edit up some more general shots from the two days and will put them up soon as well.

Gary

Thanks guys. It's funny but there's not a lot of goodwill about for that scheme and if I'm honest, it's not the best I've seen either. Certainly, the scheme on the II(AC) Tornado for their centenary is better and looks more polished. Yet, it's the first and probably only RAF Typhoon special that we will likely see for a while. 1(F) Sqn are currently reforming on the Typhoon for a formal stand up later this year, and as the first four RAF Squadrons are all in a centenary year for 2012, and the other three have all marked a aircraft, it's not impossible that they might do one before the year is out.

Hi John, I'll do what I can but it doesn't look like those dates will match any time I can take. I'm very much restricted to fixed annual leave and cannot alter it. You're just a week out though, as the third week of September is my second annual holiday!

Here's a few more of the rest of the locals.

IMG_9720.jpg

IMG_9729.jpg

IMG_01812.jpg

IMG_00902.jpg

IMG_01002.jpg

IMG_9996.jpg

IMG_9982.jpg

IMG_02532.jpg

If only the various pilots of the centenary jet over two days had done this the set would have been complete! Still, a good two day trip but us Brit's are really not used to temperatures into the 90's!

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0353.jpg

Gary