do people actually buy built models?

I don't mean commission work either.

It looks like I get to do another cross country move soon, and I want to lighten the load a bit and sell of some of my finished kits that I'm not entirely happy with. The town I live in has a few antique and consignment stores. I'm wondering if I should even bother trying. I'd rather not go the Ebay route as it will 1) take longer and 2) require me to fuss with packaging. I'm going to have more than enough packing to do in the coming weeks.

Ideas?

You never know if you don't try it; Ask those shops. If you have an IPMS chapter or other model club nearby, contact them and see if they'll buy the lot from you.

If a model club will buy them from you, you'll have the comfort of knowing that they're going back to benefiting the hobby somehow. Some clubs have auctions, so they could use the kits to raise money to support the club.

Just never forget the old adage: "One man's junk is another one's treasure."

"One man's junk is another one's treasure."

This is true. Though I do not buy models already made I have been known to buy part kits and parts in 1/72 and 1/32 scale. So a market for already built models is there. Just because you are not satisfied with your work (one must be always critical about one's work if you want to advance to the next level) does not mean someone else might find them fantastic.Kevan's advice is good I would follow up on it

What I have done in the past when I made a move, I donated some of my kits to kids in the neighborhood. Another option is donating them to a VFW, military recruitment center or a museum. I know you are interesting in getting some financial gain but if that does not work out......

I have given away a lot of models to friends and colleagues especially while I was in the Air Force. If you can get money for them that is good.

I think Ebay is the best bang for your buck so to speak. I know thats not what you want to hear but its a wide market and I have seen built lots go for hundreds. I check out built lots all the time and have bought more than a few.