RE: Fujimi 1/48 products

I was wondering on the quality and the popularity of this maker's kits. I see a lot of these on Ebay and wonder if they are worth what some people are asking for them. Particularly WWII stuff.

Edited by DaneBramage

They generally make quality stuff although some of their older 1/48 models have some inaccuracies. Their newer 1/72 stuff is real good but the cockpits should be more detailed for the price they ask. They are generally on the high side pricewise which may be due to exchange rates. If you have a specific kit you want, do a search for a review and go from there.

hth

I agree on the D3A kit. I built one years ago, and remember that the cockpit isn't empty, but it's not detailed like a kit manufactured recently. If I recall correctly, the canopy isn't made to stack in the open position. But if you can find it significantly cheaper than the Hasegawa kit, it's worth your time. I think it's akin to some of the Otaki/Arii series in quality: no, it's not like a new kit, but if you get one cheap, it can be the basis of a decent build.

Edited by Fishwelding

Can't answer to the WW2 stuff but Fujimis modern stuff tends to be awful. Tomcat, Eagle especially the Phantom are just awful. Some like the TA-4 are 1/50 and even worse.

Can't answer to the WW2 stuff but Fujimis modern stuff tends to be awful. Tomcat, Eagle especially the Phantom are just awful. Some like the TA-4 are 1/50 and even worse.

You have to realize what it is you're talking about. The Fujimi 1/48 F-14 and F-15 kits date from the mid-1970s. At the time they were absolutely the best things anyone had ever seen. The Phantom is an early 1970s kit (awful), and the Mirage, TA-4J, and F-5A are from the mid-1960s (and are 1/50).