2012 IPMS Nats - Orlando

Prepping for the Nats! Who's bringing a really cool build? So far, all I have are these wheels. I'm optimistic that I might have something to attach them to before the big show...

photo2.jpg

Waco, nice builds ... :thumbsup2:

Say, Did Murph use that line on you when he was your instructor ...?

"... I'm about to teach you some things that can't be taught ..." :rofl:

Good to see you and Trigger around these parts ...

-Gregg

That looks a lot like those decals from the TwoBobs and TwoMikes OPFOR Superpack. You wouldn't be pulling a fast one, would you? :rolleyes: Somewhere Mike Reeves spilled the beans about his friend "Waco" helping him build the Aggressor Pods to show off yesterday.

Looking great!

Aaron

I will be going to the Nats and it will be my first time. I am excited. One question for those who have done this before: How do you transport your models on an airplane? I plan to take one or two 1/48 jets, some with a few delicate pieces. I can make the boxes I believe, but what are the things to be careful about at the airport, security, boarding etc. Right off the bat, I can see taking them onboard as carry-ons might be problematic: nowadays it is difficult to find any space in the overhead bins as many people take their luggage on board. I am not sure if the box I will prepare will fit under the seat. Are there other surprises awaiting me? Any issues with the security? It would be great if you share your experiences with transporting your 1/48 aircraft models on an airplane. Thanks!

P.S.: Sorry if I am hacking the OP's thread. Just let me know, I can remove this.

You might be better off shipping your aircraft there. More costly I'm sure but then you have insurance and other coverage. No telling what will happen in an airplane hold. If you do ship your best bet is a next day air service as that is the least likely to be damaged.

I was all ready and set to go up on the 8th along with my father, but my first doughter decided she would much rather be born this past Tuesday instead of after the mats. So looks like il be missing this one :)

Maybe il drive up Friday night and ce back Saturday but I would not count on it.

Have fun guys !

I was all ready and set to go up on the 8th along with my father, but my first doughter decided she would much rather be born this past Tuesday instead of after the mats. So looks like il be missing this one :)

Maybe il drive up Friday night and ce back Saturday but I would not count on it.

Have fun guys !

Gonna miss you, Pep, at next week's festivities. Have fun with your little 1:1 project!

Andy

I will be going to the Nats and it will be my first time. I am excited. One question for those who have done this before: How do you transport your models on an airplane? I plan to take one or two 1/48 jets, some with a few delicate pieces. I can make the boxes I believe, but what are the things to be careful about at the airport, security, boarding etc. Right off the bat, I can see taking them onboard as carry-ons might be problematic: nowadays it is difficult to find any space in the overhead bins as many people take their luggage on board. I am not sure if the box I will prepare will fit under the seat. Are there other surprises awaiting me? Any issues with the security? It would be great if you share your experiences with transporting your 1/48 aircraft models on an airplane. Thanks!

I use clear Tupperware with foam blocks duct taped to the bottom of the tub. I place the foam blocks under the wings and the fuse so that the model is NOT resting on its landing gear. I use foam strips to secure the model to the foam blocks using toothpicks. This keeps the model from moving around and that's it! I'm sure there are other ways to transport models, but this is how I've been doing it for the last 10 years without incident. Good luck and HTH?

:cheers:

P.S.: Sorry if I am hacking the OP's thread. Just let me know, I can remove this.

Not at all! It is a Nats prep thread, not a build thread. I just threw those up because they were some quick grabs to capture my feelings of "whew!!!" after completing 4 builds in a little over 2 weeks. I really need to start my Nats prep sooner...

At any rate, I use a method very similar to what Cyrus has described, with a couple of additions. I build mostly canopy closed, so I will fill the "void" space in the tupperware boxes with shredder paper, which absorbs a lot of impact with no damage to the model. You have to be careful with this though, because it can make a huge mess when opening and can also get into intakes and such. But if you have to ship a model a long way, it works pretty well as cushioning.

I've carried models in tupperware bins on aircraft, through security, etc., and I've never had a problem. In fact, only once did they even ask me to open the container, and it was readily apparent they knew it was fragile and respected it. No issues.

Cheers, and good luck!

I will be there at Disney for a day or two with the family then at the convention on Friday and Saturday.

I am bringing along six or seven builds (cleaning, repairs and packing today). The way I transport is in large locking Rubbermaid tubs with a product called "Fiber Fill" as the packing. You can get it at the arts and crafts section at Walmart. It is the stuff they use to fill pillows and stuffed animals. It can take a bit of work to get off the model once you are there at the contest table but with all the kits I have taken to contests and shipped through the mail to exhibits I have never had an issue.

See you there!!

Folks if you are coming for the show and NOT staying on the property, go to the main toll plaza and go all the way over to the right, to the last entrance before the buses, you will see it says to the resorts. Tell them you are going to the contemporary, and stay straight all the way up. If you are not able to park at the hotel, you can park at any of the resorts you can get into, but you will be taking the monorail over to the hotel, with a bunch of idiots that paid all that money, not to go to a model show, but stand in a line and wait for either lightning to hit them, or they drop dead from the humidity.

You will be able to drop your models off at the Contemporary Convention center entrance but you will have to move on after that-IF THE PARKING IS FULL ONLY.

Good luck! If you need anything, please look out for the big Alabama Boy wondering around in his Stallion51 hat. I want do anything for you, and pretend I dont know you, but I will give you some directions to the other side of Disney, and wish you a good trip. (JUST KIDDING!!!!)

-Jim

Am I right in thinking that I don't need to be an IPMS member to attend the show? I don't have any models to display but would like to see the builds and visit the vendors room.

I am planning on going on Wednesday. Are the opening times the same for everyone or do IPMS members get in earlier?

Mike

Edited by _Mike_