Tamiya 1/32 P51 D s/n44-14237 "Moonbeam McSwine"

Hi Charlie...better finding out BEFORE hitting the airbrush...darn right you are mate!

Here's the "offending" part:

P7300327-1.jpg

I 100% agree Neo,and here's another possibility...I love this one just as much;

life-1.jpg

Cheers

Lou

Great work so far Lou. Between, you and Chuck I have all the how to's I need.

The part you pointed out, is that a kit part or if resin, which set did it come with? I have the Barracudacals sidewall set and the cockpit upgrade set and its not in either one, nor is it mentioned in thier instructions.

I like the second profile a lot. WOuld look awesome in 1/32 I think.

Edited by Charlie Cheetah

Great work so far Lou. Between, you and Chuck I have all the how to's I need.

The part you pointed out, is that a kit part or if resin, which set did it come with? I have the Barracudacals sidewall set and the cockpit upgrade set and its not in either one, nor is it mentioned in thier instructions.

I like the second profile a lot. WOuld look awesome in 1/32 I think.

Thanks Charlie!The part I've pointed out comes from the kit (I haven't the instructions handy,therefore I cannot tell you exactly its number!)!

The first profile comes weith a very interesting and fascinating story while the second is definitely more flamboyant!

Cheers

Lou

I'm actually partial to the first profile! Looks sweet and very bright.

That radio is outstanding. The ZM radio is really crap in comparison. Well done.

Hi Hamm,

thanks a lot for your kind comment about the radio/battery asembly.I'm following your build of the ZM P-51 and I admire your beautiful work and dedication.I bet you gonna get yourself a Tamiya P-51 next time....you'll be amazed at the ease of assembly and at how entertaining its build is even OOB!IMHO the ZM offering's too thick-eared in too many places and over-engeneered in others,but that's me!

Can't wait to see your Mustang finished!

The first profile's my favorite too,and it comes with a very fascinating story,but since the Tamiya kit was still on the drawing board when Kagero first released the book I'm pretty sure the masks and rudder/tail decals won't match this kit,therefore I'm looking for somebody to custom-make a set of decals or masks for me.I sent a message to Ad Astra but no reply so far,hence I've bought a set of Lifelikes just to keep on the safe side!

Cheers

Lou

I'd like to get the Tamiya and probably will just to compare it to the ZM build. I don't mind the ZM build at all and I'm no accuracy stickler so so far it's been nice. It's not for me and was bought by a family member so I'm building it for him. I like Mustangs and all bu they're not up there at the tops of my must have model kits. I also usually adhere to straight from the box builds or whatever resin aftermarket is there. Sometimes I include pe but it gives me a headache so I try not to. I'll never be at the level of you or Chuck but it's fun to watch.

I'd like to get the Tamiya and probably will just to compare it to the ZM build. I don't mind the ZM build at all and I'm no accuracy stickler so so far it's been nice. It's not for me and was bought by a family member so I'm building it for him. I like Mustangs and all bu they're not up there at the tops of my must have model kits. I also usually adhere to straight from the box builds or whatever resin aftermarket is there. Sometimes I include pe but it gives me a headache so I try not to. I'll never be at the level of you or Chuck but it's fun to watch.

Hamm,

there's no "special level" as far as I'm concerned....if I can do something modeling-related anybody can...believe me :D !

Go on...I love your build!

Cheers

Lou

At this point I think that I can declare the radio/battery/rear gas tank assembly officially finished,apart from a little dry-brushing a few washes here and there and some dusting!I've tried to add as much detail as I possibly could avoiding burn-out...it's not that perfect but all considered it'll sure be more detailed than OOB,won't it?

The fuel vent hose as fitted to "Happy Jack's Go Buggy" is a perfect replica of the one used on the WW2 P-51,therefore I tried to replicate the two red lines and the Goodyear logo....taken from a Tally Ho stencils decal sheet for Czech MiG 21s !! !!!Placards have been added as per period pictures,even where they won't show,read under the radio rack!I've added a fictitious serial # on the gas tank and the metal,YZC painted flange...it may not be "kosher" but I like it and hey...this in MY Mustang !!!

Cheers

Lou

train1-1.jpg

train2-1.jpg

train3-1.jpg

train4-1.jpg

train5-1.jpg

train7.jpg

train8-1.jpg

train9.jpg

train10-1.jpg

The Barracuda IP is just about complete...it only needs a little Future to simulate the glass of the instruments and a dusting of matt varnish.The yellow decal strip is a real PITA but it resists Micro Sol very well and can be moved around for a very long time...like I did!.I think I'll redo it though,because I don't like it the least but it's the best I could do!

The IP looks much better in the flesh,so please excuse my cr#ppy pictures that don't do it any justice!

Cheers

Lou

P8240340.jpg

P8240341.jpg

please excuse my cr#ppy pictures that don't do it any justice!

Cheers

Lou

I think you're being a bit hard on yourself Lou. The pics look good on my monitor. :thumbsup:

it only needs a little Future to simulate the glass of the instruments

Have you considered punching out acetate discs instead of future? Sometimes the meniscus on a liquid can look a little odd. I've used clear food packaging in the past with good results.

Just a thought..... :hmmm:

:cheers:

I think you're being a bit hard on yourself Lou. The pics look good on my monitor. :thumbsup:

Have you considered punching out acetate discs instead of future? Sometimes the meniscus on a liquid can look a little odd. I've used clear food packaging in the past with good results.

Just a thought..... :hmmm:

:cheers:

Many thanks once again for your kind words Geedubelyer!I LOVE the punched acetate discs idea,thanks for the heads-up! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Cheers

Lou

Seen in its actual size ain't that bad!

P8240340-1.jpg

Great job Lou! One of the problems with our close-up photography is that it reveals all of our flaws. I often find all sorts of mistakes after I take a pic, but they really can't be seen with the naked eye at 6", so I often wonder why we bother with such detailed pics in the first place. Your behind the seat details are excellent and the IP is really good too. :thumbsup:

Great job Lou! One of the problems with our close-up photography is that it reveals all of our flaws. I often find all sorts of mistakes after I take a pic, but they really can't be seen with the naked eye at 6", so I often wonder why we bother with such detailed pics in the first place. Your behind the seat details are excellent and the IP is really good too. :thumbsup:

Hi there Chuck,

so glad to see you around again mate!For starters thanks for the kudos :thumbsup: .....you're 190% right on the close-up pictures...macro's a double-edged sword....it shows things in a very detailed way but underlines flaws and mistakes in the process!I think that big-sized photos are a good way to improve!I was thinking about the very same thing a few hours ago;I'm currently working on a super-detailed 1/32 Eduard Bf109 E-.4,saome say that the firts station aft of the cockpit isn't shaped correctly....dunno 'bout that I can 1000% say that the opening for the fuselage radio compartment is wrong in shape but it's too late to fix...on the one hand when seen from three feet away,i.e. as it would look as if it was the real thing seen from 30/50 feet it still looks like an Emil to me and that's the important thing...on the other hand it's nice to get closer and see all those details but perspective should always be kept into consideration!

Cheers

Lou

. . . . Truly a very detailed craftsman Lou.

. . . . Quite EXTRAORDINARY and mind boggling as well as mind blowing. :worship:

Love the FLAWLESS, NEAT work.

A man after MY own heart :salute:

Thanks for your comment,Holmes! :thumbsup:

Cheers

Lou

• 2 weeks later...

I've put aside the cockpit to start working on the Wheel Wells.I've opted for YZC rear spar,front sloping walls,central front wall,stringers and ribs and NMF ceiling/wings skin.This is only the start and I've used Humbrol 154 for the ceiling stringers and MM Insigna Yellow for the rest of the pieces.The yellows look identical but they're not.The ribs will be painted Humbrol 154 while a few details on the spar will be IG.A lot has still to be added,along with washes,oil stains,aluminum showing thru in some places (especially rivets),general wear and tear but I think you've got the idea of what it will eventually look like!

Yes...the ejection pin marks are just about all there,but since I'll build my model with the UC doors in the "up" position I've filled only what will remain visible,and add only the wires and piping that will be seen!

all in all I think that it's a tad more pleasing to the eye than an overall YZC.The masking has taken the best part of the afternoon and a little overspray has been wiped off with a stiff brush moistened with MM thinner where visible but I havenìt bothered to remask/respray the stringers where the yellow isn't 100% covering them,since dirt and oil washes in the recesses will take care of that!

Cheers

Lou

wells1.jpg

wells2.jpg

closedwells3.jpg