OH-58D laser detectors

Hi all. I was just having a look at Fireball Modelwork's 1/48 decals for the OH-58D. He mentions various subjects, with or without laser detectors. I'm assuming they're little bumps on the nose and body? Could anyone shine some light on some reference pics?

TIA!!

Also, another question; what version Hellfire are usually fitted to a Kiowa Warrior?

TIA!!

Edited by Marvinblue

The little black bumps on the nose and body are radar detectors. The laser detectors are different. Here's a photo of one of them that I took about a month ago. There's four of them total around the body. The LD is the raised area at the right of the pic...You can also see the RD antenna below that as well. I can't answer the question about the Hellfire, but I'm sure someone will be along who can.

IMG_7026.jpg

Aaron

ps. Here's a link to the folder of all my Kiowa ref pics so far. I've got more, but I need to edit them still. http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o12/strikeeagle801/OH-58D%20Refs/?start=all

Edited by strikeeagle801

Another question for you guys; the bar that runs parallel underneath the tail boom: what was its purpose and when was it removed from the fleet?

What you are seeing is the sheath for the HF radio which is very rarely installed. In fact I've never seen the radio installed. Some units remove the 'antenna' and cover the attachment holes. Others just leave it there so no one will break off the APR=39 blade antenna when walking under the tailboom. It is just hollow aluminum tubing and as such is often bent and very rarely straight.

Floyd