So....Nasa lands a multi billion dollar rover on a different planet, millions of miles away...with pin point accuracy. This rover will be looking for signs of extraterrestrial life...

So, what has received the most attention...one of the JPL guys has a mohawk. It's actually kind of sad that this guys haircut is apparently the most newsworthy, tweet worthy and interesting part of the story. But I'm somehow not surprised...

I think NASA should land a fleet of rovers of this size, painted up like NASCAR vehicles, and race them...once. The resulting PR success will ensure NASA funding for years to come.

No?

Alvis 3.1

I always hear Valles Marineris compared to the Grand Canyon, but when you consider that Mars doesn't have any oceans, I'm not sure that's the best comparison. I mean, I doubt the Marianas Trench was created from flowing water, but I wonder what it would look like if the Earth lost its ocean. Or maybe I'm missing something.

The Marianas Trench was created by subduction of the ocean floor beneath a continental plate. Similarly, although Mars once had liquid water on the surface, a quick Google (as posted above) reveals that the majority of Valles Marineris is believed to be tectonic in origin, not water as I previously opined.

I was the one missing something.

Edited by DutyCat

So....Nasa lands a multi billion dollar rover on a different planet, millions of miles away...with pin point accuracy. This rover will be looking for signs of extraterrestrial life...

So, what has received the most attention...one of the JPL guys has a mohawk. It's actually kind of sad that this guys haircut is apparently the most newsworthy, tweet worthy and interesting part of the story. But I'm somehow not surprised...

Did anyone else notice that the JPL guy had a small Federation logo cut into his hair?

I hate to say this, but people, in general, operate at pretty basic level and are not particularly smart. They pay attention to the stuff that has an effect on their day to day lives. Beyond that, most folks tend to emphasize social contact, and interpersonal relationships (especially with the opposite sex). A robotic probe does not interest the average person because they don't think deeply enough about "this kind of thing" to understand its importance.

The Mars Curiosity mission is gigantic if for no other reason than its purpose,..find life on another world. If it does, it should have a huge impact on our perspective on the potential for life in the universe and our place within it. This is one of the greatest questions....Are we alone? Although technically easier to accomplish, Curiosity is arguably a more important mission than an actual manned landing simply because of the potential to answer this question,

Yet most people aren't even paying attention. They are too busy entertaining themselves by watching "Real Housewives of New Jersey." Even if Curiosity finds life, the only ones who will think about than more than five minutes will be the scientists and science geeks like some of us. The rest of the world will move on the the next episode of their day to day lives.

Unfortunately, space exploration is going to plod along as long as we have resource management and geopolitical problems on Earth. And that is likely to be a very long time. We humans have a tendency to create drama.

What would change everything is "First Contact." If we were to discover another civilization somewhere, then I think that all of our petty squabbles here on Earth would be cleaned up in short order and space exploration resources would be forthcoming. This scenario is not likely, however, as space is a very big place and we are technologically limited in our ability to explore it beyond the backyard of our solar system.

We humans have a tendency to create drama.

I think this part means a lot in many different ways.

Frankly the Mars mission and many other things, specially in peoples lives these days Pee OOsss me off with crap.

Some how to get things done or get peoples attention Humans these days have to sell them self's as idiots instead of the intelligent species that we are.

Some how to get attention in our minds, that Drama becomes "Can't" Instead of Can and will.

Read up on the Mars deal and the drama that is and was set out there. Seams we have to act like it was a billion in one Odds that man can accomplish such a thing? What the heck is up with that BS. Instead of flaunting Mans Ability/Intelligence, we must make our selves showing stupidity and chance?

Personally, Even if we did make contact with intelligent life like our selves it would not change us as an entire entity that much. Mans biggest down fall to date is our own doing, something we do not learn that much of and that something is behavioral skills.

EDIT: For some reason two words are stuck in my head when thinking about people thoughts on the odds etc. crap with the Mars landing. Meaning the Human Brain.

Vestigial and Adaptation.

Edited by Wayne S

https://twitter.com/SarcasticRover - Yep...it's not happy.

SarcasticRover ‏@SarcasticRover

I just did my FIRST GEOLOGICAL SURVEY OF MARS… MOST ROCKS ARE UNDECIDED, but still plan to vote. Go Democracy! #curiosity2012

SarcasticRover ‏@SarcasticRover

@behlulm How long you got? I'M HERE FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE!! LOL sad-face.

Gotta love it.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/mars-rover-beginning-to-hate-mars,2072/ :rofl:

"

Hi all,theres some really good new panoramic photos on yahoo and sky news,but sorry i dont have the I.Q to give you the link,would love to,but cannot,I will peruse FAQ to see if its easy,unless you know better and dont mind sharing.cheers Don.