Desert Storm VMFA-451 Warlords

I finished this kit last month. I used the Avionix F-18A "backdate" cockpit and vertical tails set. The vertical tails needed some work to get a tight fit. The cockpit's fit was perfect except for the insturment panel. The panel had chunks of resin on it that made it impossible to use, so I used the upper portion of Academy's "A" version insturment panel included in the kit and fit it to avionix's lower portion of the panel. Paint was Testors Model Master enamels and metalizers. Weathering consists of pre-shading, spot-painting and chalk. Decals are SuperScale.

I read the book Hornets Over Kuwait by Jay Stout which provided the inspiration for the build. In the book, Stout describes the various missions he and the other pilots of VMFA-451 flew during Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm. During one account of a mission he talked about a hornet which developed a bleed-air problem with one it's engines. That Hornet was grounded for the rest of the campaign. The problem I had was not knowing which Hornet had the bleed-air problem. I wanted to build this Hornet with heavy weathering to depict it as it would have looked at the end of the war. Unfortunately, after talking with Jay, I learned this was, in fact, the very jet (#12) that had the problem. Lesson learned: talk to the expert/s who were actually there first if possible.

Anyway...enjoy!

1_32F-18AVMFA-451Completed001.jpg

1_32F-18AVMFA-451Completed002.jpg

1_32F-18AVMFA-451Completed003.jpg

1_32F-18AVMFA-451Completed005.jpg

1_32F-18AVMFA-451Completed007.jpg

1_32F-18AVMFA-451Completed008.jpg

I am really not a fan of these boring lo-viz schemes usually, but here you managed to make yours really interesting to look at with subtle weathering. :thumbsup:

Antoine

Edited by toniosky

Thanks for the comments guys. I have plans to do another 1/32 "A" in the near future, but from VFA-151 Vigilantes stationed aboard the USS Midway during ODS.

Edited by sting

GREAT looking Hornet! You really did a nice job- especially the weathering. :thumbsup:

My only critique isn't even your fault, but you may want to make this change in your next build of this kit. The rear flaps hang down too low using the 45 degree kit hinges. The rear of the flaps don't go below the belly at rest- they are almost flat- so you need to modify one set of hinges to give you about 35 degrees instead. Here's a pic of what I mean, but I won't hot link it to avoid cluttering up your thread.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh66/chuck540z3/CF-18B/Flaps2.jpg

Again, really nice job!

GREAT looking Hornet! You really did a nice job- especially the weathering. :thumbsup:

My only critique isn't even your fault, but you may want to make this change in your next build of this kit. The rear flaps hang down too low using the 45 degree kit hinges. The rear of the flaps don't go below the belly at rest- they are almost flat- so you need to modify one set of hinges to give you about 35 degrees instead. Here's a pic of what I mean, but I won't hot link it to avoid cluttering up your thread.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh66/chuck540z3/CF-18B/Flaps2.jpg

Again, really nice job!

Thanks Chuck! You are absolutely correct and I never noticed it until you pointed it out. I'll watch out on my next Hornet build.

May I ask, how did you get the canopy to reflect rainbow like colors? I'm looking about how to make similar effect on helicopters for a long time:

http://www.touchdown-aviation.com/image.php?src=/operators/fleet-air-arm/merlin/178_7887.jpg&action=resize(430)

I used very fine fingernail polishing sticks to polish the plastic before I dipped them into Future. The polishers are the type you find in salons where women get their nails manicured. They are designed to polish and polish they do. I was surprised at the rainbow effect myself. There was no skill involved, so I guess I just got lucky.

The paint and weathering are outstanding. I can only fantasize about doing it that well.

But, since this is the critique corner...check the alignment of the underwing stores, the Mk82s look to be toed out from each other and the inboard Mk20 is a whisker aft of the outboard one.

I reluctantly can only give this build 99.9 out of 100. :thumbsup:

The paint and weathering are outstanding. I can only fantasize about doing it that well.

But, since this is the critique corner...check the alignment of the underwing stores, the Mk82s look to be toed out from each other and the inboard Mk20 is a whisker aft of the outboard one.

I reluctantly can only give this build 99.9 out of 100. :thumbsup:

:rofl::rofl: