USS De Wert thru Welland Canal

I'm not a ship modeler, guys ... so my question is pretty simplistic. ( I do have HMCS Haida in my stash and will be building this resin kit this year ) and I hesitate to even ask it ... but ...

I live about 1/2 mile from the Welland Canal in Canada and just saw the USS De Wert and USS Hurricane transit thru Lock 2 ( 8 locks total ). They're part of a Good WIll tour of the Great Lakes along with HMCS Ville de Quebec.

I went on YouTube and watched a video tour of the Hurricane and wondered why, in the navy, even the engines are painted the same colour as the rest of the vessel. I kinda figgered they'd be, oh I don't know, another colour.

Please be kind with your answers ... :rolleyes:

Pete

Less colours to keep in the supply chain? :whistle: I honestly have no idea, but i got to do a walking to tour of one of the hurricane's sister boats the USS Shamal at sailabration in baltimore a while back and her engines were yellowish. They are neat little ships that from what I can gather Have no real mission. I was told they are being used in Bahrain to protect oil rigs and the general idea was they were to slug it out with anything up to as large as a destroyer expend their ammo and if they havent allrerady been sunk by that point (or the calvary has'nt arrived) they are to ram the attacking ship. I dont know how true this is.. it seems a bit far fetched for a US misson.

Edited by rustywelder