Hi!! I don't want to sound stupid but, I was wondering why the Aussies don´t use roundels in the top of they aircrafts wings :unsure: :unsure:

Happy Modeling

Byron

Edited by ByronLeal

Hi!! I don't want to sound stupid but, I was wondering why the Aussies don´t use roundels in the top of they aircrafts wings :unsure: :unsure:

Happy Modeling

Byron

It depends on the aircraft, but Australia does put roundels (with kangaroo's) on top of some of their aircraft wings. Their F-18's don't have them (now) but other aircraft certainly do. Also, like the RCAF, their markings have changed over time. So it depends on what era you're modelling.

RAAF F-18A with blank wings.

http://australianaviation.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/20100805raaf8540652_0132.jpg

Well, the airplane I am looking for is the Mirage III, the one with a yellow flash in the tail with a black bird (raven?), the pictures I have seen of it shows no roundel on top, so I asume, and as the bad guy in that Steven Segal movie (from the ones when he still was fit :whistle: ) says "assumption is the mother of all f&ck ups"; my mistake; so is wise to check your references and most important, ask the ones that know. :thumbsup: Thanks

Happy Modeling

Byron

It depends on the aircraft, but Australia does put roundels (with kangaroo's) on top of some of their aircraft wings. Their F-18's don't have them (now) but other aircraft certainly do. Also, like the RCAF, their markings have changed over time. So it depends on what era you're modelling.

RAAF F-18A with blank wings.

http://australianaviation.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/20100805raaf8540652_0132.jpg

Edited by ByronLeal

Well, the airplane I am looking for is the Mirage III, the one with a yellow flash in the tail with a black bird (raven?), the pictures I have seen of it shows no roundel on top, so I asume, and as the bad guy in that Steven Segal movie (from the ones when he still was fit :whistle: ) says "assumption is the mother of all f&ck ups"; my mistake; so is wise to check your references and most important, ask the ones that know. :thumbsup: Thanks

Happy Modeling

Byron

Byron, Our Mirages did not have upper surface roundels after the lizard scheme was introduced (not Euro 1 but Bs298 olive drab and extra dark sea gray). I suspect you are describing a 75 Sqn aircraft with temp exercise markings if the entire fin is yellow with a black and white dart and Magpie in the centre. otherwise you may be mixing the 2OCU jets with 75 Sqn Jets. See these links below (and check out Motty's site for many more Aussie Mirages)

Hth, Ken.

http://motty.hobbyvista.com/Beasts-Pages/Mirages/CP-219-01.jpg for the 75sqn jet, noting the yellow triangles on the upper wings as well.

http://motty.hobbyvista.com/Mirages/Neill-Groves-A3-21-001.jpg for a 2OCU example.

I guess this discussion begs the question - Roundels may have been a relevant to identification of friend and foe in WW1, and to a lesser extent WW2, but today in the age of supersonic stealth jet fighters and air to air missiles, beyond tradition what purpose do roundels play on modern military aircraft, particularly low-visibility ones?

I guess this discussion begs the question - Roundels may have been a relevant to identification of friend and foe in WW1, and to a lesser extent WW2, but today in the age of supersonic stealth jet fighters and air to air missiles, beyond tradition what purpose do roundels play on modern military aircraft, particularly low-visibility ones?

They're so pilots know which F-18 on the tarmac to climb into while attending NATO exercises? :)

This is the one I have as WIP,

http://motty.hobbyvi...s/CP-219-01.jpg

are there any two seats of this?

Regards

Byron

The closest you will get for a 75SQN twin seater in that scheme is without the yellow tail.

http://motty.hobbyvista.com/Mirages/Bob-Irvine's-Mirage-004-04.jpg

This aircraft (above), A3-108 was the last mirage I had a back seat ride in before being transfered away to VIP aircraft :D

beyond tradition what purpose do roundels play on modern military aircraft, particularly low-visibility ones?

For some countries, presence of a roundel on military aircraft is a legal requirement, AFAIK.

HTH,

Andre

The closest you will get for a 75SQN twin seater in that scheme is without the yellow tail.

This aircraft (above), A3-108 was the last mirage I had a back seat ride in before being transfered away to VIP aircraft :D

Well, one seat it is!! :salute:

Regards

Byron

:D, You lucky bugger Ray; you actually got rides in a Mirage dual. I waited for 4 1/2 years for mine and was in the OCU safety equipment section getting suited up, was doing up the last g-suit lace when the Orderly Room Sergeant walked in and said "LAC Blackford, you won't mind giving up your ride for a young female cadet journo who's doing an article on the SQN will you?" I replied "The hell I won't Sarge, I've waited 4 1/2 years for this and I'm not giving it up for anyone. There's another dual seat available on this sortie, she can have that one." He gave me "that" look and said "Well tough luck sport, (or something similar) she's got your ride, what are you gonna do about it?" and that was it for my Miracle ride. I found out the next week (which was my second last week at OCU that she was sleeping with one of the bograts (trainee pilots for non RAAF people.)

:cheers:,

Ross.

ps. The article wasn't that great either; I hope she was doing a better job in bed.

:D, You lucky bugger Ray; you actually got rides in a Mirage dual. I waited for 4 1/2 years for mine and was in the OCU safety equipment section getting suited up, was doing up the last g-suit lace when the Orderly Room Sergeant walked in and said "LAC Blackford, you won't mind giving up your ride for a young female cadet journo who's doing an article on the SQN will you?" I replied "The hell I won't Sarge, I've waited 4 1/2 years for this and I'm not giving it up for anyone. There's another dual seat available on this sortie, she can have that one." He gave me "that" look and said "Well tough luck sport, (or something similar) she's got your ride, what are you gonna do about it?" and that was it for my Miracle ride. I found out the next week (which was my second last week at OCU that she was sleeping with one of the bograts (trainee pilots for non RAAF people.)

:cheers:,

Ross.

ps. The article wasn't that great either; I hope she was doing a better job in bed.

So Ross, I wouldn't be rubbing it in by showing these pictures? :D

I look a bit older now :D

Before...

mirageride17Dec86.jpg

Strapping in...

mirageride17Dec863.jpg

Airborne...

mirageride17Dec866.jpg

After...

mirageride17Dec867.jpg

This was in A3-111 about 10 months earlier...

Sorry for hijacking this thread Byron!

Edited by Trojan Thunder