The MAG-22 det. to NAS Midway was comprised of VMF-221 (comprised of F2A-3 Buffalos and F4F-3s) and VMSB-241 (comprised of SB2U-3s and SBD-2s). Both squadrons were in the middle of transition when the battle halted their progress. Should the aircraft be destroyed the personnel were expected to do as Marines do and ground fight with fire and close contact.

Though the scout-bomber squadron had been issued dive bombers they were not trained for dive bombing. They practiced 'glide' bombing during the build up for the battle. When the Vindicators hit the Japanese naval fleet they conducted their runs at 60 degree dives. No hits were observed. When Maj. Henderson led the same squadron against the carriers, they too flew in at shallow angles. No hits were observed.

The next subject of this group build is Accurate Miniatures SB2U-3 Vindicator in 1/48 scale. The -3 was the special Marine version of the Vindicator with an uprated engine, added armor, and a heavier machine gun.

Stay tuned for updates.

Below is a small clip of my subject matter. Skip to 6 minutes, 7 seconds.

Also, here's a link to my cockpit reference.

http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/nnam/virtualtour/#MUSEUM/COCKPITS/SB2U/SB2U

Edited by Exhausted

Love the vindicator. Such a great transitional look that incorporates elements of aircraft before it and those still to come. I'll be interested to see this project go forward.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...