1:48 Aircraft Hangar Diorama

Following a thread on model hangars on the Britmodeller website I spotted this cardboard kit fro sale on eBay. The kit is available in 1:144, 1:72 and 1:48 scales and is also available direct from an EU supplier.

P1060435.jpg

P1060436.jpg

I decided to "found" the model on a hardboard base with some external hardstanding area.

P1060438.jpg

P1060439.jpg

P1060440.jpg

P1060441.jpg

P1060442.jpg

The roof trusses are provided in separate left and right halves. The rather weak butt joint needs to be reinforced - I used plasticard splices to strengthen it. I used white (Resin W) wood glue to fix the cardboard parts together and to the base and cyano glue to attach the plastic card strengthening. Cyano was alos used to further sterngthen some of the glued joints and to fix any delaminations in the card parts.

P1060443.jpg

P1060444.jpg

P1060445.jpg

The kit supplied roof struss assembly is missing the longitudinal and diagonal bracing that would be present in a real roof structure. I added the bracing using card strips cut from the plentiful supply of card offcuts from the kit.

P1060446.jpg

P1060447.jpg

P1060481.jpg

The kit provides three roof cladding thin card sheets although only two are needed to cover the roof area. I applied the spare third sheet to the centre of the roof to reinforce the overall structure and the central joint between the two outer cladding sheets.

P1060459.jpg

P1060460.jpg

P1060461.jpg

P1060462.jpg

P1060463.jpg

P1060465.jpg

P1060464.jpg

P1060466.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Now, this some good find. I like the card-model hanger. I have though about doing a model of a hanger but was not sure where to star looking, but now thanks to you I have a starting point. Thanks for sharing your build.

Mike

Has anyone tried ordering from GPM? I went to their web site to order the 1/48 hangar and their on-line ordering doesn't work.

Thanks!

Never tried ordering from GPM but the 1:48 and 1:144 versions are on eBay from a seller in Poland at the moment (the one that I bought my hangar kit from). Search "Aircaft Hangars" in the "Toys and Games" category with the search set to worldwide.

:cheers:

Darius

• 3 weeks later...

Never tried ordering from GPM but the 1:48 and 1:144 versions are on eBay from a seller in Poland at the moment (the one that I bought my hangar kit from). Search "Aircaft Hangars" in the "Toys and Games" category with the search set to worldwide.

:cheers:

Darius

Darius,

I order this same kit plus the one for soviet (Polish) HAS directly from GPM and had no problems. I can vouche that shipping was a killer... ended up being more than both kits.

In the end I ended up selling the kit build here on ebay, and made up for the shipping of both kits.

By the way, I now wish I hadn't sold mine... what a spectacular job! :salute: