Hello everyone ! I'm looking for an adjustable airplane jig . Does anyone know of a retailer besides UMM ?

I need something for smaller scales 1/72 to 1/48 .

Regards, Christian

Edited by Chris L

Yes, i know of one but i am having a hard time googling it, not to mention uploading pictures of it. It is a very practical and inexpensive jig. It`s plastic and some metal and it is also selfcontaining/pressurelocking. I`ll check back when i manage to locate it, or manage to upload a picture of mine :-)

Edited by breadneck

By jig, are you referring to something that holds the plane for things like painting or decals??? I too have been looking into something like what I mention. I seen on Amazon that Tamiya has something like that for around $20.00 bucks.

• 3 weeks later...

I was lucky to buy Aeroclub jig from fellow modeller on BritModeller forum after I wrote to "wanted" subforum

http://www.internetmodeler.com/2006/march/aviation/aeroclub_jig.php

Now I have both - SRAM, mentioned above bought on Hannants, and Aeroclub bought privately via BritModeller forum. Guess which I prefer ;)

1345838028_PICT0054.jpg

Edited by pin

Pin, i'm interested to know which you do prefer & why. I've got the Aeroclub and, while it's a bit fiddly it works well.

The SRAM does look a lot simpler. Is it rigid enough?

That's why I was looking for Aeroclub - it is not rigid at all, you may only rely on tightness of the bolts. There are no marks to make the arms parallel to each other, no angle meter to set up top wing offset.

Its undeniable merit - simplicity

Hello everyone ! I'm looking for an adjustable airplane jig . Does anyone know of a retailer besides UMM ?

I need something for smaller scales 1/72 to 1/48 .

Regards, Christian

Out of curisoity, is there a problem with the one from UMM?

I just bought one, and UMM was dead easy to deal with. The jog took about an hour to assemble and glue, and I was good to go.

My apologies to everyone. I have not checked for posting on this thread for a while ., believing it was dead after a few days.

Looking at the Jig at UMM, it looks very clunky built . Since my primary scale is 1/72 I'm not sure I would enjoy it.

What I am looking for is a jig that will hold the wings to the correct dihedral to the fuselage. That said, I might feel differently if I saw it in person instead of looking at it on the internet.

The aeroclub version looks interesting but it seems there would be a need for placing the fuselage in the correct position prior to adjusting the wings. I think trying to get Hannan to ship it to the US would be a problem as well since they have a minimum $$ amount .

Am I asking for too much ? I miss brick and mortar hobby shops.

Cheers, Christian

ahhh, looks like the aeroclub (& SRAM) aren't what you're looking for. Those 2 are designed to get biplane upper wings in exactly the right position compared to everything else.

Very useful if you don;t have 4 hands.

edit - or the top wing on a triplane for that matter:

2011-07-03104606.jpg

Edited by billb

The aeroclub version looks interesting but it seems there would be a need for placing the fuselage in the correct position prior to adjusting the wings. I think trying to get Hannan to ship it to the US would be a problem as well since they have a minimum $$ amount.

Hmm, I think there are two counfounded subjects here.

1) The Aeroclub wing jig. While this looks like an exceptional piece of equipment, it's OOP.

2) The Sram jig that Hannants stocks.

Given my druthers, I prefer the Aeroclub. Considering availability, it's Sram or DIY.

BTW, Google helped me find the Sram jig at West Coast Hobbies. I have no clue about them, so caveat emptor.

Edited by David N Lombard

Well yes, I occasionally build biplanes which is my main reason for searching for a jig.

However, it seem that it would need ( in my mind ) some reference point for the fuselage . As an example the 1/48 Tamiya Swordfish has four separate wings.

Looking at the size of the displayed pictures it seem awfully large for 1/72 scale ( correct me if I'm wrong ) .

Cheers, Christian

yep, first you'd attach the bottom wings normally without using the jig. Then you'd put the jig on a piece of graph paper, mark your references, set up the plane in the jig and then tighten everything down. You can then use the marks on the graph paper as the reference from there on in.

It's actually easier to do than it sounds. The articles referred by Pin explains it.

http://www.internetmodeler.com/2005/december/new-releases/Aeroclub_Jig.php

& David, it is OOP which is why Pin said he had to hunt it down 2nd hand through britmodeller.

Thank you, that was a very informative post. It sounds like it would work for 1/72 scale although some of them would be challenging as they are quite small.

The Fiat CR.42 certainly was.

Somewhere in the fuzziness of my memory bank I seem to remember a metal one that had adjustable pieces for the fuselage. I guess it could have been home grown or long OOP.

Thanks, Christian

Looking at the size of the displayed pictures it seem awfully large for 1/72 scale ( correct me if I'm wrong ) .

It is perfectly OK for 1:72

1:72 Pup in the jig:

aeroclub_jig_12-tn.jpg

taken from here

SRAM jig is much larger

1345838028_PICT0054.jpg

however it may be used for 1:72 or even 1:144.

For example, this is my 1:144 HP42 in SRAM jig:

1344987327_PICT0047.jpg

Edited by pin

that first pic is a Martinsyde Buzzard, noticeably bigger aircraft than a Sopwith Pup.

Of course, I should have read more carefully. But take my word for it - there will be no problems with smaller biplanes.

That HP42 looks very cool!

Thank you. That's how it is looking now:

1346971397_PICT0078.jpg 1346971403_PICT0079.jpg 1346971409_PICT0080.jpg

Edited by pin