Academy F-4B Mold Pictures

It really looks pretty good. If I had to criticise, I'd say that I don't particularly like the area around the aircon/cooling intakes on the nose, but it's not really any worse than the other 1/48 F-4s, and with the parts breakdown, someone could produce a resin replacement fairly easily. The framing on the forward windscreen is a little too curved. The representation of the tiny boundary air vent holes on the vari-ramp is heavy handed. And it looks like there are a few panel lines representing BDR patches or late-life mods that ideally shouldn't be there. A couple of mis-shapen panel lines exist on the rear fuselage. Rather oddly, the hinge point on the horizontal stabiliser appears to be missing on the example builds. The trunnian covers are missing off the tops of the wings.

To me this looks like it could be the best starting point for a really great F-4, regardless of scale. The shape looks better than the Hasegawa kit or 1/32 Tamiya one. I hope they have included optional parts to build an earlier aircraft configuration than the one on the box, but if not, I'm sure the aftermarket guys will get in there pretty quick.

Really looking forward to this!

-Richard

Edited by Richard J

They're some pictures of the Academy F-4b at the IHobby show and one of the neat things I noticed is that the kit has the MER adapter for the outboard wing stations. First time that "I" have seen them in kit form. Pretty cool!

Yea saw this in person yesterday as well. Totall forgot to take pictures. There wasn't much that interested me there so I put the camera away. The booth that had these had a placard next to it saying 69$. Seems a bit high like hasegawa money.

I don't particularly understand the unpainted version that they keep showing. If you're trying to advertise to a younger audience that may not be able to paint and such they're not going to spend 70$ on ii.

Edited by Bigasshammm

do you mean that the 1/48 kits that are already out there did not have the weapons adapter on the USN versions,,,,,,for all of this time?

we have had them for 30 years on 1/72 Naval Phantoms,,,,,I wonder why it took so long to get them in the larger scale?

Only idiots will spend 70 USD on it, that has been said time after time regarding to MSRP.

http://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/zq5ccmrtivx2wtqbos11.html?t=1350298391

Some people like to support there local hobby shops!! Say all you want about mail order its great but when all the hobby shops are gone and you have to pay 6.95 for shipping for one bottle of paint.

Some people like to support there local hobby shops!! Say all you want about mail order its great but when all the hobby shops are gone and you have to pay 6.95 for shipping for one bottle of paint.

some people... that i'm not anymore! obviously because prices became obscene even on a single paint bottle! 3.5$humbrol to 6$Modelmaster... without counting the fuel($$) it takes to go to the LHS...since most people don't have LHS close to their location...

so i manage my buying, try my best to predict what i'll need... and it's been 3 years now that i didn't buy anything from any of my LHS!

(now i don't buy anymore the problematic Chinese made humbrol paints, but i pay my Tamiya 3$ and my MMaster 4$, shipping included...BTW it seems that you choose the highest shipping you'd seen, just to support your opinion)

But like previously stated, it have been debated times and times before, it's kind of sad seeing an interesting thread being hijacked by this...

Also, Academy's F-4B MSRP is close to the Hasegawa's Phantoms MSRP... BTW, if you shop a little (like, in HK webstore) Hasegawa's Phantom aren't that much expensive...

Edited by mingwin

some people... that i'm not anymore! obviously because prices became obscene even on a single paint bottle! 3.5$humbrol to 6$Modelmaster... without counting the fuel($$) it takes to go to the LHS...since most people don't have LHS close to their location...

so i manage my buying, try my best to predict what i'll need... and it's been 3 years now that i didn't buy anything from any of my LHS!

(now i don't buy anymore the problematic Chinese made humbrol paints, but i pay my Tamiya 3$ and my MMaster 4$, shipping included...BTW it seems that you choose the highest shipping you'd seen, just to support your opinion)

But like previously stated, it have been debated times and times before, it's kind of sad seeing an interesting thread being hijacked by this...

Also, Academy's F-4B MSRP is close to the Hasegawa's Phantoms MSRP... BTW, if you shop a little (like, in HK webstore) Hasegawa's Phantom aren't that much expensive...

I just don't like to be called an idiot because I have and support a LHS, Which supports our IPMS chapter. But I understand if its not your cup of tea, just don't insult people.

Just ordered mine at Luckymodel. Let's wait for their availability.

Someone knows the other (if any) aircraft options on the decal sheet?

(if it will be of the same quality of recent Academy/Cartograph releases, I will not need of any aftermarket imput to built mine quickly)

Cheers

Paolo

I just don't like to be called an idiot because I have and support a LHS, Which supports our IPMS chapter. But I understand if its not your cup of tea, just don't insult people.

Relax. Real prices are almost never MSRP, LHS or not.

Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.

On the other discussion it's sad that it's the local shop who has to bear the end result for gouging by distributors.

How do we know it's distributors?

Well I really doubt the manufacturers vary there wholesale price.

So a Academy F-18 that I can and have bought in Singapore for 69 bucks is in most Aussie stores well into the middle to high 100's..ie 140-190.

Hobbyboss 32nd F-84's for 24 bucks locally 60-80...here.

The big online shops in Asia are making a huge amount.

By offering prices cheaper than we get but more expensive than street price they are in a win win.

I guess we win but if you shop locally in Hong Kong or Singapore far lower than Internet prices at LM are available.

In Japan way lower than prices at HLJ everywhere.

On a recent Tokyo trip TamiyaP-51s in a mainstream store are 70 US...

I'm not an Phantom "expert" but looks like a Phantom to me.

Nobody said it didn't look like a Phantom. What *I* said, and I still believe after looking at those photos, is that the radome is too skinny. Yes, it looks like a Phantom. Nobody's going to mistake it for a Spitfire or a 727. That doesn't mean it's 100% perfect though, much as wishing might make it so. I sincerely hope I and the others who thought the same thing are utterly and completely wrong. I truly, truly do. We'll see when somebody has plastic in hand.