Ever just lose interest?

Weird, I've been so excited to make models after a long hiatus...but back in May I started a new project, Revell's 1/48 Eurofighter with two mikes covers and pylons....and three month later, I'm no further. I just have NO interest in continuing the project. Weird. It's like the interest just dropped off a cliff. Anyone ever had that happen? I'm more annoyed now that I have an open box with some painted pieces, some taken apart, just lying around.

I have. When I lose interest in a subject, I put in a plastic bin (to protect it from dust and keep from losing parts) and stick on a "in progress" shelf. Then I move on to a more interesting subject.

It's a hobby. ie. Entertainment. No point in making it drudgery.

Sometimes, I find that going with a different paint scheme/decal sheet will later revive interest in one of those kits I've set aside earlier.

Edited by dmk0210

Weird, I've been so excited to make models after a long hiatus...but back in May I started a new project, Revell's 1/48 Eurofighter with two mikes covers and pylons....and three month later, I'm no further. I just have NO interest in continuing the project. Weird. It's like the interest just dropped off a cliff. Anyone ever had that happen? I'm more annoyed now that I have an open box with some painted pieces, some taken apart, just lying around.

hi,just had the same feelings ,im trying llap-goch,its on the next page.

001-31.jpg

cheers don,also the other tips are good,especially the changing subject,its what i do,and it works,though this might change with llap-goch lol don

jetboy your tearin' me up--I cannot stop laughing at that llap goch guy in the photo,, just stare at it for a minute ,dont know if its the bug eyes in a mask or them black buckle shoes with high top socks, maybe that hat I dont know,my friggin ribs hurt. I glad I cant read most of the fine print, I may wind up soiling myself. thanks for making my day bro

DOC

RAIN,

Yep definitely.

I still have not built anything....Back in 2009 I started MY REVELL 1:72

Hawker Hunter ...washed the sprues sanded the wings and the fuselage and something

Happened and left it like that for months.I never did finish it , and ended up sending the whole lot

....everything, to another ARCer.

( he used the parts for his own)

Sometimes you feel as if you need to rush in with everyone SO enthusiastic about how they are doing this and how they did that, that you get carried away and decide to build a model...but really your heart was not in it and then lethargy sets in and you lose interest and abandon the build.

I even lost interest in going to the air show recently that I was only a few miles away , having traveled almost 90miles, that I suddenly thought what the heck, and came back home :rolleyes:

It will pass and you can get back to it when you feel relaxed and comfortable within yourself to take it up again, and restart it.

I go and pay attention to MY other passion, Coin collecting. :yahoo:

In the meantime do what I do, enjoy everyone else's.

Have a god day RAIN.

Not yet, but here's a suggestion to avoid same. Do something very challenging or different. How some guys kick out 20 models per year is beyond me, because due to time constraints with each build, how can they be that interesting to build over time? I'm not knocking those that do, but to me, that's very boring.

Do a very difficult kit, do some very detailed scratch building or maybe a very difficult paint scheme to get you back into the game. Humans need challenges to keep interested in what they are doing or they lose interest. Modeling is no different, so kick up that Eurofighter a notch and your Modeling Mojo will likely return. :thumbsup:

What exactly did you lose interest in? The subject its self or did you come upon a certain task that needed to be done and lose ambition to complete the certain task?

Happens to me usually during the sanding/priming process. Once the airbrush goes out, I can't die to finish it! Also, do not start anything you're not really going to finish...

Take Care

Oh yes that old chestnut! I currently have about half a dozen kits in the putty/sanding/scribing stage. Luckily I am working on a kit I love in the Hasegawa Tomcat and have just passed that stage of the build. I find if its a subject you are particularly passionate about it tends to be a lot easier to push on to the finishing stage. Also the difficulty and challenge in solving all the issues in such a kit I find keep me on board.

The idea of building something which is a bit more difficult or out of your comfort zone certainly has helped me keep my interest, or rejuvenate my fading interest at times... Also I find that time escapes me very quickly these days, so I am very picky on what subject and type of kit I build. Cheers

Happens to me usually during the sanding/priming process. Once the airbrush goes out, I can't die to finish it! Also, do not start anything you're not really going to finish...

Take Care

Same here! I love the building phase, the painting phase and the decaling phase...

the sanding, priming, fixing.... ugh... all that is just work.

Well thats why they are so many shelf Queens!!

As opposed to chuck when i spend to much time on small detail i tend to loose interest! Im not a model factory i take 4 to 8 months per kit i like adding details but scrach building just dosent do it for me.

Also when i get to the boring putty,sanding,primimg ect stage i often pop out a new kit to build in paralele so instead of doing 10 mins work and have to watch the paint dry(or putty) i start work on my second kit then when its dry go back to the other keep me in my modeling mood!!

Interesting subject. I lost interest in model building when I was 15 and started saving money for my car. Became interested again when I was 70 and came across a Douglas A-26 while surfing the net. Started looking into its history, and discovered the B-26K version in kit form. Ordered it, built it to the painting point and lost interest for four more years, during which time my wife became ill and passed away. I was 71. The airplane sat in my cardboard box "paint booth," in primer coat, finished except for the camou and decals. At age 74, I met another woman, finished the B-26K and married her (the woman, not the airplane). Since then, I've finished a B-57G, have an A-1H in the final, gasping-for-air throes and three other Viet Nam War era birds hovering on the shelf. Model building has replaced a lot of the time I used to spend watching TV, mindlessly surfing the net and reading. The history of the aircraft, the interesting stories of the people who flew them and maintained them, and the history of the various wars is all highly engrossing and fascinating to me.

As for my long hiatus, it's like I've held off model building for the past 60 years so I could enjoy to the max everything that I missed since hanging it up in 1953. I love everything about it, especially the forums.

I have. When I lose interest in a subject, I put in a plastic bin (to protect it from dust and keep from losing parts) and stick on a "in progress" shelf. Then I move on to a more interesting subject.

It's a hobby. ie. Entertainment. No point in making it drudgery.

Sometimes, I find that going with a different paint scheme/decal sheet will later revive interest in one of those kits I've set aside earlier.

What he said. I just put it back in the box (if I can) and put a sticky note on it. I only have two of these so it's not too bad. I'll get back to them one day.

Interesting subject. I lost interest in model building when I was 15 and started saving money for my car. Became interested again when I was 70 and came across a Douglas A-26 while surfing the net. Started looking into its history, and discovered the B-26K version in kit form. Ordered it, built it to the painting point and lost interest for four more years, during which time my wife became ill and passed away. I was 71. The airplane sat in my cardboard box "paint booth," in primer coat, finished except for the camou and decals. At age 74, I met another woman, finished the B-26K and married her (the woman, not the airplane). Since then, I've finished a B-57G, have an A-1H in the final, gasping-for-air throes and three other Viet Nam War era birds hovering on the shelf. Model building has replaced a lot of the time I used to spend watching TV, mindlessly surfing the net and reading. The history of the aircraft, the interesting stories of the people who flew them and maintained them, and the history of the various wars is all highly engrossing and fascinating to me.

As for my long hiatus, it's like I've held off model building for the past 60 years so I could enjoy to the max everything that I missed since hanging it up in 1953. I love everything about it, especially the forums.

Hi,unglued in alaska,good on yer!..getting intrested in modelling at your age is fantastic,also woman as well,i suppose all the aids you can buy these days is a bonus,i mean visual and magnifying,not them nasty little blue pills,iv,e been told about.Though i suppose they,d have an advantage as well,bit of blue tac,youve got a steady third hand.way hay never have to leave the moddelling bench again,.....sorry got to erase that vision from my brain,it might cause me problems later.also being in alaska,i suppose you save a fortune on camo paint,white gloss or matt..No seriously have fun cheers don

I lose interest whenever the weather is nice. I'm pretty active and I hate being stuck inside.

Finished my last model in June and have yet to start the next one. I'm also not much of a TV watcher, so when I'm stuck inside all winter I'm either playing PC/PS3 games or working on a modelling project.

mm hm. I'm building model airplanes now, because I recently lost interest in model trains. B)

Me too!

and it's summer... I find I am not spending as much time modelling due to other things, some as simple as just being outside enjoying nice weather or maintenance on my house that can't be done during the winter.

C'est la vie as they say.

K

Yeah There was a 10 year period from about 2000-2010 I didn't touch a model then got the bug again via some guys i was playing steel panthers online against, picked up a FW-190 I had stated 10 years ago and finished it with about 5 other models since, I'll start a kit put it down for a while start something else then go back to it, I've never been able to start one kit and focus only on that kit until its done,(wife claims I'm ADD) yeah right :taunt: , So your not the only one :cheers: