Have we worn out the group build?

If something like this was to happen, I would really prefer to see it divided into quarter start dates (jan, mar, jun, sept) with 3 or 6 month runs just to break things up some. I think having all the GBs have the same start / end date would actually end up having a negative effect as people feel pressure to start / finish multiple GBs and as most GBs seem to dwindle during the second half I think you would see big dry spells during the second half of the bulk GBs. By going with quarters it would at least ensure there were always some GBs starting up as others neared their end.

thats a good point . i also like the start intervals. making them fixed dates but not all start at once .

I don't think that's the problem at all. IF you're not interested after six months then you probably weren't all that committed in the first place, which is the problem. That six months is useful to get people interested in the GB.

Why does it take 6 months to get everything together to build a kit? I build kits out of my stash. All I need to buy are paints.

There is no way I could wait six months to start a kit. 1 month max. My interest would switch to a different subject after that.

Edited by dmk0210

Why does it take 6 months to get everything together to build a kit? I build kits out of my stash. All I need to buy are paints.

There is no way I could wait six months to start a kit. 1 month max. My interest would switch to a different subject after that.

That makes me feel so slow! My next project (the box fell off the shelf, it was evidently crying for attention) I bought the aftermarket for - five years ago, the kit - ten and shot the reference pictures...thirty-plus years back! Other projects, other aspects of life, best made plans etc :)

You and me both.

I still think 6 months is plenty. I know some people build slow, but I work 40-60 hours every week see the family go on vacation , and can still build a kit here and there.

Sleep, however is something I could use.

Edited by phantom

I picked up about half of the people for my GB in the six months after it was announced. Also significant portion of people said that they wanted a late start because they were already building something and couldn't commit to something until the fall. I couldn't do it either: I was co-modding the In Defense Of Europe and the Pacific GB where I built eight kits in that time. So without the six months I might not have gotten the numbers I have now.

Some people are different, going and saying that "this works for you so change it" ignores that others would not and cannot meet that schedule.

May I suggest, If you can't commit to a GB six months from now, then commit to it closer to its start or during its term.

I still think 6 months is plenty. I know some people build slow, but I work 40-60 hours every week see the family go on vacation , and can still build a kit here and there.

6 months is generally pretty good for a GB unless you're going whole-hog (as in a chukw or Chuck540z level build). I'm a slower builder and usually can finish builds in that time unless something interferes at a late date. (actually I'm pretty fast, but I build in bursts so it can take me 4-6 months to finish a kit despite it involving a relatively quick build in actual time at the bench since it's sometimes weeks between bench time for me)

Edited by mawz

This is supposed to be a fun hobby! If you're pre-planning and scheduling future hobby activities six months ahead of time, then you need to put down the x-acto knife right now.

May I suggest, If you can't commit to a GB six months from now, then commit to it closer to its start or during its term.

That's exactly what I'll do. I'll only join GBs that are already running. Once I start a kit, I'm pretty committed to finishing it usually.

It's not 6 months to build it. It's 6 months before you can start it.

The idea of the current pause is their were far too many group builds going on at once. When there are too many the group builds get very thin participation.

In the very near future there are rather few happening and therefore we can start up a couple extras. I believe the current max we wanted was 6 at a time.