1:48 Hasegawa F/A-18F Super Hornet

A good recommendation would be MM armor sand for the base coat. Their plain sand for highlights, and dark tan for shadows. That way you wouldn't have to worry about mixing several times. Those are all enamels as well since it's all I use. Try that sometime, may work.

Thanks for your input Scapilot :thumbsup: If the instructions don't tell me what color to use, I will most definitely get it wrong :bandhead2:

Looks great Jesse, just ordered some of those ECS pipes for my bugs.

Thanks Keeto :D You have chosen wisely :thumbsup:

Another masterpiece in the making! Excellent work as expected, Sir.

The Quickboost ECS items are very nicely done; also worth noting are their early-style ECS vents -much better than either Revell or Hasegawa originals.

Thanks for your kindness ChippyWho :rolleyes: I wonder if someone actually scratch-built the master for these? If so..... WOW

Wish I had time for modelling, but lately "real life" demands that I take part in it.

/Jesse

Great job Jesse!

I'm also a professional figure painter and your pilot isn't bad at all! Effectively the flight suit look slightly dark and orange oriented: you can make another highlight with the same base color ( untouch the shadow) and add a couple of light mixing progressively more white with the base color.

Anyway superb job,a great reference for my future SuperBug! :thumbsup:

:cheers: Gianni

Great job Jesse!

I'm also a professional figure painter and your pilot isn't bad at all! Effectively the flight suit look slightly dark and orange oriented: you can make another highlight with the same base color ( untouch the shadow) and add a couple of light mixing progressively more white with the base color.

Anyway superb job,a great reference for my future SuperBug! :thumbsup:

:cheers: Gianni

Thanks Gianni :D It means a lot coming from a pro figure painter. I picked up some MM Italian Sand, it looks pretty close to the right color to my eye....

Great job so far, cant wait to see how you tackle the intakes!

Thanks JMan :D Good job on your soberness :thumbsup: Keep it going. I already ordered seamless intakes from Two Mikes... I am a pig when it comes to AM....

Modelling is on the back-burner since my wife's father has passed away last night... He was a saint and a great inspiration to me and many many others. Here's to Jack, may he rest in peace :cheers:

/Jesse

Sorry to hear of your wife's father passing away, my condolences to both you and your wife! I :salute: Jack, and may the Angel's of Heaven be waiting for him with open arms and welcome him to the promised land! We will wait for your next update take your time my friend!

Sorry to hear of your wife's father passing away, my condolences to both you and your wife! I :salute: Jack, and may the Angel's of Heaven be waiting for him with open arms and welcome him to the promised land! We will wait for your next update take your time my friend!

Thanks JMan, my wife and I really appreciate your comments.

Hey guys, I thought I'd make a post amidst everything that's been going on, just to keep this build moving along. It seems like the build is going slow, but compared to building and detailing a F-14 Tomcat, I think this build will be a breeze...

Primer added to this area...

002-3.jpg

The turtle deck is painted and the cockpit was glued in place... The fit of the tub was not as good as I prefer, but I guess you can't beat the detail Aires has to offer dry.gif

005-5.jpg

004-4.jpg

Glued in the Front IP and coaming...

003-5.jpg

Filled the gaping gap with 5 minute epoxy underneath then capped off with some Krystal Klear.

010-2.jpg

Finally another dry-fit of the canopy and forward wind screen with the coamings in place...

006-4.jpg

The fit looks pretty dam good for once...

007-3.jpg

Maybe someone could tell me about the tint on the canopies... This is a late lot 26 Bug, and I read that the front windscreen is a yellowish tint. I believe the canopy is not tinted on the late models (26+) due to visibility issues.... Any insight on this issue is much appreciated. Thanks for looking :cheers:

/Jesse

Canopies and windscreens are a goldy colour on both supers and classic hornets. May be a tint with clear yellow?

Looking good!

Thanks nimrod77. Yes, in Jake's book, it appears that the canopy on most of the Super Hornets are indeed tinted.... I was also told that after 2008 the front windscreen remains tinted, while the canopy is not tinted due to maintenance reasons.... It's hard to say what time frame the BU 166627 is, maybe I will ask in the jet modelling forum. Also, I will have to practice on some plastic bottles to get the tint right.

Lovely work! Nice!

Thanks for commenting Mario :D

Your Super Hornet is coming along nicely Jesse.

Sorry to hear about your father-in-law. My condolences to your family.

Thanks John, It's been a tough month for sure... I suppose since it's cold outside now you will be painting your Hasegawa F-14 any day :rolleyes:

Edited by JesniF-16
... I suppose since it's cold outside now you will be painting your Hasegawa F-14 any day :rolleyes:

The insurance comes off the Camaro at the end of October, and the winter tires go on the Jeep. Then, it's time to get back to modeling. Can't wait! :woot.gif:

Hi Jesse

Sorry to hear about your Father-in-law. At least you are a great support to your wife. Everyone needs a pillar....

Onto the subject at hand, oddly enough, I have been doing my own research into methods of window tinting for a different project and I saw a few people suggest using future mixed with Tamiya Smoke (X19) (with just a smidge of clear yellow mixed in). It seems that a few dips in that is a good way to get an even coating of tint - something an airbrush apparently isn't able to do so well.

However, I did see a compelling method of spraying and does not matter that the frosting occurs. Apparently, a dip in Future will bring it up nice a smooth and transparent.

I haven't been game enough to try either one yet - but I have some practice subjects lined up :)

Hope that helps

Look forward to seeing more in the time to come

MH

The insurance comes off the Camaro at the end of October, and the winter tires go on the Jeep. Then, it's time to get back to modeling. Can't wait! :woot.gif:

Let the fun begin John, see you soon.

Hi Jesse

Sorry to hear about your Father-in-law. At least you are a great support to your wife. Everyone needs a pillar....

Onto the subject at hand, oddly enough, I have been doing my own research into methods of window tinting for a different project and I saw a few people suggest using future mixed with Tamiya Smoke (X19) (with just a smidge of clear yellow mixed in). It seems that a few dips in that is a good way to get an even coating of tint - something an airbrush apparently isn't able to do so well.

However, I did see a compelling method of spraying and does not matter that the frosting occurs. Apparently, a dip in Future will bring it up nice a smooth and transparent.

I haven't been game enough to try either one yet - but I have some practice subjects lined up :)

Hope that helps

Look forward to seeing more in the time to come

MH

Hello MH thanks for your kindness regarding my recent hardship, I really appreciate ya... Thanks also for the info... I read 5 parts Tamiya Smoke and 1 part Clear Yellow :thumbsup: from "Gambler"s Super Hornet WIP thread. Instructions are to spray the tint, let it dry, then follow it up by dipping the canopy in Future... I'm sure it's much easier read than done, but the Gambler told me that if you muck it all up you can simply use a soft brush with some windex to clean it up and go again...

/Jesse

Edited by JesniF-16
  • 2 weeks later...

Really sorry to hear about your father-in-law, Jesse.

The build is looking really good.

Thank you for your condolences White Wolf...

(Part 1)

Good evening everyone and I hope you're all doing well :D

Been really busy lately with work, so I thought I'd show you what I've been doing 6 days a week.... They built a fab shop at the power plant where I'm working, so I have been welding up these power piping spools for the past 5 or 6 weeks...

122-1.jpg

Also we are in the process of buying a new home, so in a few weeks I will be packing up my work bench and relocating... This is definitely gonna slow the build down even more than it has been until I get my new hobby room situated ;) Then I can start building some 32nd jets, after this ones finished, of course :woot.gif:

For now I have managed to get a few things done on the Super Bug. So without further delay...

Model Master Italian Sand was used on the flight suits. I think the color is closer than it was before. :blink:

003-6.jpg

004-5.jpg

The nose gear bay was glued in, using a bit of plastic card to hide the unsightly gaps...

007-4.jpg

I filled and sanded seams and re-scribed the panel lines on the nose section.... Except for where the nose joins the fuselage... The fits are all pretty darn good so far.

006-5.jpg

Added some plastic card in the main gear bay areas since the Aires gear bays are a couple of mm too short ;)

002-4.jpg

Filling and sanding this area was a real PITA!!! It was the only option I could come up with dry.gif So the main gear bays are finally glued in....

009-3.jpg

Edited by JesniF-16

Part 2...

And then there were the intakes... I decided to bypass all the headaches and ordered some seamless intakes from Two Mikes Resin... This really makes for an easy installation of the dreaded kit intakes :woot.gif:

001-4.jpg

008-4.jpg

So simple, I didn't even paint the intakes, just dunked them in some Future :P

010-3.jpg

011-2.jpg

012-3.jpg

014-2-1.jpg

And here are the innards... I used 5 minute epoxy to secure everything in place for eternity :D

013-3.jpg

So far so good... The fit is all pretty good... Now it's back to cleaning up seams and re-scribing panel lines :bandhead2: Wish me luck... And thanks for your continued interest :thumbsup:

/Jesse

Looks great so far!

Thanks for the encouragement John :D

Keep this up and the Hornet will look better than your Tomcat- which is saying a lot! Nice clean execution and clear photography. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

Thanks Chuck :D Glad you like the photos. I still am learning with the new D3100.

In the very slow process of deepening panel lines and rivets... Do a few rivets for 5 minutes, then watch football or the MLB playoffs for 20 minutes ;) It can be very hard to stay focused :rolleyes:

003-7.jpg

:cheers:

/Jesse

Great work jesse!

The pilot, bangseat and the wheelbays looking good. Follow this with interest !

Patrick

Thanks for your comments Patrick. I do appreciate it :thumbsup:

Intakes look good Jesse!

Keep going, she's progressing now.

:thumbsup:

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Thanks Jeff, since there is a huge band of thunderstorms today, I think I will just stay home from work and tend to my Super Bug :woot.gif::banana:

/Jesse

• 3 weeks later...

Good evening guys!!

Been busy with "life" lately, but I managed to get a couple of good days of modelling in :woot.gif: I re-scribed all of the panel lines and deepened the rivets on all of the major components, also added a wash to bring out the detail and check for mistakes...

Scribing tools of choice:

-UMM scriber

-Tamiya scriber

-Needle in pin vise

I can recommend any and all of these tools. Not that I'm telling you something you don't already know :rolleyes:

I purchased the Olimp AM exhaust cans. Look pretty nice to me!

014-2.jpg

In order to have pose-able elevators, I hacked up the kit elevator mounts to make room for the Olimp exhaust cans. Been using 5-minute epoxy a bunch lately since the stuff basically supports itself...

016-2.jpg

Added reinforcement mounts for the front fuselage join, since I will need to use the force to get a decent fit-up here :thumbsup:

017-3.jpg

Finally got the fuselage all buttoned up :woot.gif: Took my time, gluing the airframe section by section to ensure a good fit...

020-4.jpg

023-3.jpg

Still got some clean up to do on the seams that I just got done gluing... nothing too major anyway

021-2.jpg

022-2.jpg

I need to spend some time with my new camera... can't seem to get real crisp and clear pics yet dry.gif

Although there's lots of work to do yet, it's really going together pretty good. Sounds like I will be closing on a new house the end of the month, so I will have to pack up all my things and move.... If I have any say in the matter, my modelling cave will be the first thing on my list dry.gif Stay tuned :wave:

:cheers:

/Jesse

Edited by JesniF-16

Looks great! What colours are you planning for her?

Thanks Nimrod77 :D

I will do one of these birds

003-1-1.jpg

I realize low viz is boring to many modellers, but the third one from the top has a cool warthog stencil on the nose :thumbsup: I guess if the weathering and paint is done right, hopefully the boring gray scheme will be overlooked :woot.gif:

/Jesse