Pictures of Discovery

Me and my wife took a lot of hi res pictures of Discovery last week. I mostly took them for when I ever get around to building a model of her one day. My wife just loves anything having to do with space. I was wondering is it worth the time to upload the pics and share them with you all or are there enough pics floating around the net that more pics are not needed. I think I got a lot of pics from a modelers perspective that would be helpful. Anyway I was just wondering if there is any interest out there.

Mark

Well here are the first of many

shuttle%201.jpg

shuttle%202.jpg

shuttle%203.jpg

shuttle%204.jpg

shuttle%205.jpg

shuttle%206.jpg

Edited by jezones

I would be interested! I'm building a Discovery right now. I've been looking at the few photos of the Smithsonian Discovery on Flickr for all the little details. The more the merrier!

Hi Mark,

There can never be enough reference pictures of the space shuttles. I'm currently building Discovery and wouldn't mind some more pictures, especially 'pictures from a modelers perspective'. Please share, if you don't mind.

Mike.

There can never be enough reference pictures of the space shuttles.

I couldn't agree more. You never know when that one little detail you need to see will or won't show up in a photo, so more is better. Besides, it's such a beautiful piece of engineering that I never tire of seeing it.

Thank you for sharing your photos Mark! Gorgeous!

Al

Edited by Zombie_61

Thanks both, for your pictures! I saw DIscovery two weeks ago on my holidays, and what an amazing machine it is! It´s very different from Enterprise, with most of all of his tile burned from the reentries, meanwhile Enterprise was only a sort of flying mockup and it´s like a brand new car.

Edited by Kikiferret

You have some really nice shots of both orbiters. I saw Discovery leave KSC from mid-field, about 200-300 feet off of the runway on her way to the Smithsonian-what an awesome sight! From what I remember, they told us that the Smithsonian wanted her to appear as if she just returned from orbit. She sure looks used when you see her up close. I'm waiting to see the schedule of media events for Endeavour's departure next month. I'll bet it will be a zoo out there as this will be the last chance to see a shuttle fly out on the 747.

From what I remember, they told us that the Smithsonian wanted her to appear as if she just returned from orbit. She sure looks used when you see her up close.

I'm glad they didn't clean her up. In my opinion it's much more impressive when you have such a vivid visual representation of the conditions these ships had to endure during their "routine" flights. I hope Endeavour gets the same treatment (or lack of); I live about 15 miles east of downtown Los Angeles, and I'm looking forward to seeing her when the exhibit opens. I'd love to see Discovery first hand, but I don't see a trip to the Smithsonian in my near future.

I agree, it really leaves the impression that it's been through the fire, so to speak. After seeing her up close as they towed her back to OPF and while she was parked outside that afternoon, that's the way she was.

I'll post some shots of Endeavour at KSC next month. I'm not sure what kind of access they will provide for us, but the KSC PAO staff did a remarkable job in providing us some up close opportunities for Discovery. Please post some shots of the move the the LA streets!

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your great photos, this is a fantastic market for us modelers, such a lot of very nice details to the build. :woot.gif: You are really to envy, to be able to see the real Discovery so up close. Therefore, I find it remarkable that you let us participate through your photos. :worship::worship::worship:

:wave:

... these photos are superb!

I had no idea the access to DIscovery would be so open, and the detailed images you've provided us ... is appreciated very, very much! The textures of the black tiles, the white tiles, the RCS engines fore and aft, the 'Rescue decals' ... I've never seen images like this. wow!

And Mike, your pix are amazing ... those are terrific photos!

If you've got more, and would like to share 'em ... please, feel free to do so!

Thanx alot guys!

Pete

It's no problem putting the pictures up for all to see. I'm really glad y'all are enjoying them. I really think I could have stayed there all day just walking around Discovery. I have some more pics and others that I will crop and post some more close ups. My wife's camera is something like 20 megapixels so there is a lot of detail in the pics for me to crop and share with y'all. I love looking at the contrast between Discovery and enterprise. Enterprise doesn't even seem real it's so clean. Well back to work, stay tuned for more pics.

Mark