Can I ask how you did the striping on the ejection seat pulls? It's very neat and precise

Thanks

EDIT: I draw them on by hand! Not as hard as it looks with the right pen.

I use a Millennium 08 or 005 black Pen. It is sort of like a high-end marker for artists who do line art, you get them at art stores. I think I've heard them referred to as Technical Pens also.

Edited by toadwbg

I use a Millennium 08 or 005 black Pen. It is sort of like a high-end marker for artists who do line art, you get them at art stores. I think I've heard them referred to as Technical Pens also.

Great tip. I have a bunch of those in my desk. Thanks.

And Ironically soon after posting this, I dropped one of my ejection seats to the floor and the Ejection Pull ring flow off into darkness!

I must make a sacrafice to the modeling gods... :moai:

Count them up!

null-5.jpg

null-4.jpg

null-3.jpg

null-2.jpg

I used pins to secure the MER's to the pylons for a solid mount. For each sway brace, I used a file to flatten the parallel surfaces that make contact with the cylindrical bomb surface. This created 4 good points of contact with Superglue. They all went on pretty well. I tried to align them as best I could but there's really no way to make that perfect.

The bombs are resin and at least DOUBLE the weight of the model. Probably much like the real thing :coolio:

null-1.jpg

Started taking my gallery pics and noticed something bugging me: The burner can interiors. Although the kit provides some nice ducting and engine outlet inside, they leave the actual outlet nozzles naked. I had replaced the kit nozzles with Brass Tube- a definite improvement but these still looked naked. I have put exhaust covers on previous Revel A-6's I built but the client had wanted these open to look at. Here's some "naked" exhaust pics:

null-5-1.jpg

I decided I couldn't leave these alone and decided to add some of the interior ring detail. I read a good suggestions a while back on using the 2 exhausts from the Hasegawa A-4 Skyhawk (the kit comes with 2) and I actually have this kit in the stash. But upon inspection this would be a lot of risk for little reward. Instead I decided to scratch build them!

I found the appropriate sized brass tube from some 30-06 casings. Bonus, these are already weathered :whistle:/>/>/>/> Than I added spacers with styrene strip. These little things could be a bugger to get on with superglue, but I used one of my tricks- Blue Tak on a toothpick. Stick styrene to Blue Tack stick, dip in Superglue, stick to tube. Magic. Just had to so a little trimming and than literally press-fit these into the brass exhausts.

null-32.jpg

null-33.jpg

null-34.jpg

null-35.jpg

Very happy with the result!

null-41.jpg

null-37.jpg

Edited by toadwbg

Sweet, don't you hate those niggling little things you find right at the finish line? Awesome looking intruder. Can't wait to see all the finals.

Cheers,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Turns out the Verlinden Resin ones are a PITA to cut off the casting bock and superglue on the fins.

What's your final verdict on the verlinden bombs? I'm thinking of getting a set for the snake eyes. I'm going to need a bunch for my Marine Phantom builds. The hasegawa weapon set only gives you 6, and the only other option I'm aware of is the revell A-6E.

cheers,

Mike

What's your final verdict on the verlinden bombs? I'm thinking of getting a set for the snake eyes. I'm going to need a bunch for my Marine Phantom builds. The hasegawa weapon set only gives you 6, and the only other option I'm aware of is the revell A-6E.

cheers,

Mike

For all the moaning I did, the Verlinden bombs were actually very good. They were just a lot of work when you do 28 of them.

Their snakeye bombs are actually a little easier than the standard 82s to put together and look great. MUCH better than the snakeyes that come with the Revel kit, which are a bit small.

Edited by toadwbg

For all the moaning I did, the Verlinden bombs were actually very good. They were just a lot of work when you do 28 of them.

Their snakeye bombs are actually a little easier than the standard 82s to put together and look great. MUCH better than the snakeyes that come with the Revel kit, which are a bit small.

Cool! Thanks for the quick reply. I'm going to order a set then.