A Korean TOP GUN movie

New Korean aerial action thriller "R2B: Return to Base." The film opened Wednesday in Korea, will make a limited run in select North American markets beginning Aug. 24 and will eventually be released in more than 30 other markets worldwide.

"R2B: Return to Base" is a fictional account of Tae-hun, an overconfident Republic of Korea Air Force (ROKAF) aerial demonstration team pilot. Tae-hun, played by Korean movie star Rain, finds himself demoted from the Black Eagles to an F-15K combat unit after his bravado gets the best of him while performing at an air show.

On the first day of his new billet, the maverick Tae-hun encounters icy Cheol-hui, the unit’s top gun, and a rivalry ensues. Meanwhile, Tae-hun befriends his fellow squad members. He finds a love interest in beautiful aircraft mechanic Se-yeong. Then he suffers a crisis of conscience after an unexpected incident during a reconnaissance mission ends in the untimely death and disappearance of fellow teammates. When an enemy plane enters Korean airspace, Tae-hun and Cheol-hui are forced to abandon their interpersonal conflict to lead the squad in a mission to protect their homeland and rescue their missing comrade.

http://www.r2b2012.com/#!about/c2414

It looks like a movie based on an ace combat game.

Looks like even the cast profiles were taken out of a game :rolleyes:

http://www.r2b2012.c...om/#!cast/c1h6a

Well seems that some of the close up shots of the planes are real or are pretty good props, unlike some movies where the ejection seat look like lawn chairs bought from home depot.

And the mechanic is hot :wub:

Edited by Inquisitor

Looks like even the cast profiles were taken out of a game :rolleyes:

http://www.r2b2012.c...om/#!cast/c1h6a

Well seems that some of the close up shots of the planes are real or are pretty good props, unlike some movies where the ejection seat look like lawn chairs bought from home depot.

And the mechanic is hot :wub:

Opening scene of the theatrical trailer and T-50 already defies laws of flight dynamics... Also, gun sounds are all wrong. Sounds like M1919 going off not 30mm auto-cannon.

Well, whoever claimed "Cobra" and "Tailslide" were just air show stunts and had no purpose in actual air combat clearly didn't think of dogfighting between downtown Seoul's skyscrapers.

So there! :taunt:

Edited by ChernayaAkula

gun sounds are all wrong. Sounds like M1919 going off not 30mm auto-cannon.

I think that your are right on this point about the gun firing sound. Do you know where I can find a sample of the sound of the M61A1 Vulcan 20mm Gatling?

Opening scene of the theatrical trailer and T-50 already defies laws of flight dynamics...

It certainly isn't realistic, but stylistically it seems heavily influenced by modern Asian martial arts movies, which also ignore physics.

Also, gun sounds are all wrong. Sounds like M1919 going off not 30mm auto-cannon.

Yes, and it happens all the time in movies. It was almost comical in the Orpheus rescue scene of The Matrix - the ultra-slow motion portion had a faster rate of bullet impact sounds than the actual shooting in the regular speed part because the regular part had the stupid "standard machine gun sound".

I think that your are right on this point about the gun firing sound. Do you know where I can find a sample of the sound of the M61A1 Vulcan 20mm Gatling?

I don't know. Videos of Vipers doing gun runs at youtube?

I don't know. Videos of Vipers doing gun runs at youtube?

You will probably find most have the sound of a M1919 Browning instead of the 20 mm cannon. If you find one that sounds like the Vulcan 20mm Gatling, please, send me the link.

This good enough? Starting at 2:55:

Dutch F-16s, though rather faint:

I'd imagine the M1919 sound is preferred because it sounds like a real machine gun, as opposed to someone who's either eaten too many beans, ripped their pants, or both.

This good enough? Starting at 2:55:

Dutch F-16s, though rather faint:

I'd imagine the M1919 sound is preferred because it sounds like a real machine gun, as opposed to someone who's either eaten too many beans, ripped their pants, or both.

The old machine gun sound is completely different. When the Vulcan fires 6000 rounds per minute, it sound more like a jack hammer than the old machine gun. Ground test sound file of the Vulcan is easy to find. But how it may sound like on the F-15 Slam Eagle is not that clear. This Taiwanese army demonstration if one of the better ground test firing sound.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=325_1282518861

A Korean TOP GUN movie with F-15s? Looks interesting. B)

Wonder if they will ever make it better than this classic dogfight scene from

classic movie featuring the Tomcats.

That Korean movie looks rubbish compared to this:

It might be a French movie, but at least it is a bit more realistic and used actual inflight footage by installing cameras into a modified Mirage external fuel tank.

I have this move on dvd. In english it translates to Sky Fighters. Much better visuals with HD cameras.

That Korean movie looks rubbish compared to this:

It might be a French movie, but at least it is a bit more realistic and used actual inflight footage by installing cameras into a modified Mirage external fuel tank.

I have this move on dvd. In english it translates to Sky Fighters. Much better visuals with HD cameras.

The flight scenes are gorgeous in that movie :-D