Thanks for getting this forum up and running, Steve.

Thread already started in In-Progress Pic forum.

Here's what has been done so far.

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=253340

Decals will be applied within a short time.

Mike

Edited by AX 365

My entry into this GB is due to the relationship I developed with the parents of the girl who introduced me to my wife. Being friends with Susan, I got to meet and know her parents, Don and Lise Lamont, in the early 80's. One day, while at their home, I noted a couple of model airplanes on stands in a curio cabinet. Mr. Lamont and I got to talking and I learned that he had flown CF-100's with 440 Sqn at Bagotville. That's where he met Lise. He then told me of his secondment to the RAF's Air Fighting Development Squadron and being selected to the Arrow program but when the Arrow program was canceled, he was assigned to Cold Lake as a weapons instructor. He also did test flying and evaluation on the Voodoos as they were being accepted by the Air Force. He was also a member of the OTU's Demonstration Team the 'Bald Eagles,. After he left the Air Force, Mr. Lamont went on to have a very successful career as the Director of Flight Services with Transport Canada and also Vice President, Flight Operations, Air Transport Association of Canada. Although Mr. Lamont never flew the Clunk in the markings I'll be modelling, he did the majority of his flying with 440 Squadron. Besides, I can't find any markings for a CF-100 4B with the green bands with white tear drops and Albert the Alligator. I'm still friends with the Mr. and Mrs. Lamont after 30 years.

Very cool story... thanks for sharing. I think its a common challenge with people's builds finding (and building) the actual plane that they flew... records just get so iffy. Also Its interesting that he flew the voodoos. For whatever reason I've been able to speak to alot of former RCAF pilots recently and I swear almost all of them have time on the Voodoo. IT seems like a modern touchtone... one that people from a lot of different generations flew.

Oh and the detailing you're doing looks awesome.

No photos but decals are on. Leading Edge ones went on without issue. Arrow Graphics...not so good. Even after a coat of clear decal film, they were very brittle. There was some breakage but no shattering. Thank goodness. I was able to salvage the ones that did break. The red / white checkerboard decals for the tail were the biggest PITA. They were too long. A fair amount of Solvaset helped a bit but I still needed to trim the excess decal and do some touching up with red and white paint. I used Leading Edge red ensigns and 'RCAF 421' fuselage codes from a partial 1/48 2 Wing Sabre set that I had lying around. They fit perfectly. I'm not sure if the Arrow Graphic decals are ALPS printed but trimming close to the edge of the decal is required. They also have a grainy feel to them. This texture was lost after coating with decal film. I don't think I'll ever use Arrow Graphics decals again.

The only remaining work is to attach the pitot tube, wing tanks and horizontal stabilizer, apply a final coat or two of gloss coat and attach the stand. Hopefully she'll be done in a couple of days. I'll post photos when it's complete.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

Hee Hee Hee. You're right, phantom. Ever the opportunist.

A few photos of the completed build. Okay...a lot of photos.

To those who checked in (and to those who will) and took the effort to post some feedback, thanks very much. It is appreciated.

Done-LF1.jpg

Done-LF2.jpg

Done-Front1.jpg

Done-RedBat.jpg

Done-Tail.jpg

Done-RightSide.jpg

Done-LeftSide.jpg

Thanks for letting me play. Now...what will I do next?

Mike

That's really beautiful, Mike!

You did a great job of detail inside the cockpit, and the camouflage is really pretty. I also appreciated the story of Don Lamont. I know I've heard his name more than once; I'll have to ask my Uncle in Ottawa (former CF-100, Sabre, and CF-104 pilot) about him. In any case, the guy whose daughter introduced you to your wife has a lot going for him!

ALF

P.S. so next up, a Sabre? :thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen. The kit really isn't all that complicated, BD. Going from memory, I think I used 29 parts, excluding the basic gun sight and other little bits I added. If push had come to shove, I probably could have assembled it in a day without any mods or scratchbuilding. Very stark but fun nonetheless.

That's really beautiful, Mike!

You did a great job of detail inside the cockpit, and the camouflage is really pretty. I also appreciated the story of Don Lamont. I know I've heard his name more than once; I'll have to ask my Uncle in Ottawa (former CF-100, Sabre, and CF-104 pilot) about him. In any case, the guy whose daughter introduced you to your wife has a lot going for him!

ALF

P.S. so next up, a Sabre? :thumbsup:

Don is one sharp cookie. He did very well for himself during life in the RCAF, as well as afterward. I remember him saying once over dinner about how he sort of fell into being a pilot. He went to the Air Force recruiting centre in Winnipeg. Long story short, he was a natural in the link trainer when so many others were crapping our miserably. He was given a choice of what he wanted to fly and he picked fighters. Go figure.

By the way, I'm not sure if I ever asked you this but did you have a relative named Bill (same family surname) who was with the Nepean Police Service prior to it being absorbed into the Ottawa Police Service?

Don is one sharp cookie. He did very well for himself during life in the RCAF, as well as afterward. I remember him saying once over dinner about how he sort of fell into being a pilot. He went to the Air Force recruiting centre in Winnipeg. Long story short, he was a natural in the link trainer when so many others were crapping our miserably. He was given a choice of what he wanted to fly and he picked fighters. Go figure.

By the way, I'm not sure if I ever asked you this but did you have a relative named Bill (same family surname) who was with the Nepean Police Service prior to it being absorbed into the Ottawa Police Service?

Mike

We don't like to talk about any relatives joining the "world's biggest street gang".... Just kidding!

No, the only relatives I have in the Ottawa area all have different surnames - married to my mother's sisters, and on my father's side the two families also married sisters/female cousins of my grandfather.

Having said all that, he is lucky to have such a proud name - must be a heck of a nice guy! And if he's not, then he must have been adopted!

:woot.gif:

ALF

Mike

We don't like to talk about any relatives joining the "world's biggest street gang".... Just kidding!

No, the only relatives I have in the Ottawa area all have different surnames - married to my mother's sisters, and on my father's side the two families also married sisters/female cousins of my grandfather.

Having said all that, he is lucky to have such a proud name - must be a heck of a nice guy! And if he's not, then he must have been adopted!

:woot.gif:

ALF

Clear as mud!

I didn't know Mac really well but I did do some work with him before he retired. Nice guy. Good copper.

Now...did you ever fly in the same CF-18 squadrons as our new CDS? Today's paper says he cut his teeth on Starfighters with 421 Sqn and then went on to CF-18's. His rise was quite impressive after that.

Clear as mud!

I didn't know Mac really well but I did do some work with him before he retired. Nice guy. Good copper.

Now...did you ever fly in the same CF-18 squadrons as our new CDS? Today's paper says he cut his teeth on Starfighters with 421 Sqn and then went on to CF-18's. His rise was quite impressive after that.

Mike

New CDS?!?... Googling... Oh!

Good for him!

I know him quite well. He was a year ahead of me at RMC, and we were in the same squadron at the College for a couple years. Super nice guy, sharp and intelligent.

ALF