Martin "Bud" H. Jr. Build thread

BudFlying.jpg

So my subject matter for most of this group build will be a family friend's grandfather, Martin H. Jr., who served with the Army Air Force during the Second World War and the USAF during the Korean War. My interest in his history started several years ago when my friend asked me to look through a box full of dusty papers and other paraphernalia that was all they had relating to his war history. "Bud" as he was known, never spoke about his time in the war, though it was clear that he was deeply affected by it.

I've looked into a few individuals' histories for their families over the years as a past time. However none came even close to the level of service and bravery that was apparent when I looked into Martin's service. He volunteered within weeks of Pearl Harbour, overcame an severe injury and the opportunity to avoid combat to serve his country. He was also a gifted pilot, which would quickly become apparent flying at night over hostile territory. I'm doing this because I think its important to understand what men of his generation's faced, and the bravery and valor that they showed in the face of adversary and terror.

I'm going to roll this out chronologically, I will build something from each segment of his service history except his earliest. I'll try to build a kit for each part of his service history.

By the way, you'll notice that you can see Bud's last name in the records, but I've chosen not to write it on the forum. I'm trying to keep it from being identified by search engines, but the family does not mind if I write about his past.

Edited by -Neu-

The Early Years: 1942~1944

Picture15.png

Martin enlisted in the Army Air Corps on March 16th 1942 in suburban Massachusetts, several months after the attacks in Pearl Harbour. After Basic training at Keesler AFB in Biloxi Mississippi, he went to Lafayette Georgia for primary flight training, then to Greenville for basic flight training. Here he flew a Vultee BT-13 Valiant. At the end of that time, he learned he would be trained to fly heavy bombers... B-17s and B-24s.

It was now early 1943, he was sent to George Field in Illinois to train on Beech AT-10s. They learned twin engine flight characteristics, cross country navigation techniques, among other things. He distinguished himself as a pilot, excelling in all areas. He graduated in February 1943, and gained his commission as a 2nd Lieutenant in the USAAF. He was sent to an Operational Training Unit at Gowen field, in order to fly the B-24s.

Unfortunately Martin 'would suffer a botched medical procedure that winter, which left him partially paralyzed and in pain. This would render him unable to fly the demanding B-24 for more than a few hours. He was placed on restricted flight status was transfered to Wendover Utah to recuperate. After four months, he was transfered to Randolph Field for instructors school, and then to Freeman Field to train new cadets. However during this time Martin's health improved, and he regained his strength. While he could have remained an instructor, he decided to apply for a return to full flight status, the first step towards being deployed abroad. He was accepted.

In the Summer of 1944 was sent to Dodge Field, Kansas to undergo transition training for the twin engined Martin B-26 Marauder. This was an extremely exciting but dangerous change. The B-26 was no longer a forgiving trainer, but one of the fastest and most notorious aircraft in the USAAF inventory. It was difficult to fly and had several nasty vices that a pilot needed to be aware of. However Martin’s skills were certainly above those of his peers; He scored over 90% on almost all his tests, and was regarded highly by his instructors. Bud graduated in September 1944, when his career path took another unexpected turn.

Trainingprogressreportpage2.jpg

So my build for this period will be a Hasegawa 1/72 B-26B/C

5T8.jpg

I chose the B-26 for a couple of reasons. The most obvious is that it was the easiest to procure, and the Hasegawa is a beauty of a kit. Although the AT-10 actually was more prominent in Martin's early war history, but there is no readily available kit. Furthermore I couldn't find any good photos of the planes he flew before this point. However I was able to find a few good photos of the OTU at Dodge City, and some records that suggested he may have flown this aircraft.... The Boot Hill Dust Dtorm:

kan_dodge_phodur013.jpg

This will be a common problem with my research on Martin's history. I was never able to identify a specific plane he flew, in most cases he was never permanently assigned an aircraft. However his IFRs shows he flew B-26C-5 for one flight at Dodge City. It was a rare type so I suspect he may have flown this once.

IFR_08_1944.jpg

So here it starts. I'll have some time to start on it tomorrow.

Short update.

So I started painting the interior of the plane. I plan to do this kit OOB... however I might add a detail or two. It seems that the B-26's interior colors were all over the map. Some parts were left bare aluminum, others painted in black, Zinc chromate, or covered by a drab fabric insulation. Its a bit confusing. The kit does not depict the fabric insulation, so I ignored the drab and went to black, zinc and aluminum. I might add a few details in, like some wiring... but that's about it.

This is the floorboards. I used tamiya flat black cut with a bit of white, then scuffed them up using rub&buff to give that reallyworn look. Also (and this is invisible from this side) the nacelles have been primed and painted with Alclad white aluminum. You can see the front bulkheads of them on the extreme left of the photo.

5U1.jpg

This is the fuselage halves.... the bomb bays were done in silver, but the rest of the plane got MM Zinc chromate green, thinned with mineral spirits.

5U2.jpg

Neu

Looking good! Fascinating story about Bud. I was looking forward to this GB (as you well know) to be able to read this kind of information; you've set a golden example of how to do it right!

And the modeling work is looking good as well.

ALF :cheers:

ALF.. well this is just the start and I've glossed a bit over his long period stateside before he was deployed. If I could find an AT-10 Kansan to build, I would. However his overseas wartime history, particularly in Korea, is extensive. Every kit I'm going to build from here on in will be something he flew over enemy territory. I don't want to rush on kits, but I'm looking at about one twin engine plane every month and a half.

I tend to be bad with timely updates... but I do love this topic. I think for future builds I'll try to reveal a bits of new information every few posts.

So I've been assembling the B-26 the last few nights. I'm not super detailing it... which I regret a bit. I'd like to add a few electrical wires to the interior to give it a bit more definition. The cockpit is basically done. I made some seat belts using painted kabuki tape and pieces of foil.

5V1.jpg

I used rub and buff to create some chipping and wear.

5V2.jpg

Its unfortunate that you can't see the control panel better. Its a usual hasegawa decal on plastic, but they did a great job of lining up indentations where the dials were on the decal. So I hit it with microsol a few times and got them to sink deep into the hole. Then I flat coated it... followed by dropping future into the holes to create dials. Its not photo etch but I think it looks really good.

5V4.jpg

5V5.jpg

The radio operator's room will become a place to put some weights to keep it nose heavy. However that will be in awhile. Unfortunately I made the decision to build a C-5 version of the B-26, which is somewhat a rare bird. IT had the long wings, but an unpowered twin 50 turret used on shorter winged aircraft.

4117022228_b348104ab9_b.jpg

(image courtesy of SteveN)

The only kit that has this turret is the matchbox snaptite B-26... which SteveN has graciously donated for this build. So in the meantime I'm going to build the wings... maybe tonight.

Edited by -Neu-
  • 2 weeks later...

Well a bit of a mea culpa, I'm sorry for the late post. I'm waiting for my new tail parts so my build have been stalled. Been that and work I haven't been posting as much as I should.

First thing, I added some fishing weights held by white glue to the front of the engine nacelles. I took a quick photo with my cell camera.

photo-2.jpg

all buttoned up:

5W2.jpg

And this is the interior. I haven't added the weight to the front of the bomb bay in this photo.

5W4.jpg

A bit of test fitting in which you can see the cockpit.

5W3.jpg

5W1.jpg

That's about it for now. I'm not sure whether I'll start the next model. before finishing this one, but if my tail doesn't come in the mail in the next week then I might start on the next chapter.

Good progress so far, Neu. Still plenty of time to complete the project. No need to rush. When you can get more done on this, you will.

If you go into spastic plastic withdrawl, remove cellophane, open box and start building. No problem.

Mike

Good progress so far, Neu. Still plenty of time to complete the project. No need to rush. When you can get more done on this, you will.

If you go into spastic plastic withdrawl, remove cellophane, open box and start building. No problem.

Mike

Ah that's not it... I have five more kits for this entire build, all large twins of this type. So I'm on a bit of a schedule.

Ah that's not it... I have five more kits for this entire build, all large twins of this type. So I'm on a bit of a schedule.

Oh. Good Grief. Aplogies extended in that case. Sorry for the presumption. Good luck with the project. You're off to a good start though.

Oh. Good Grief. Aplogies extended in that case. Sorry for the presumption. Good luck with the project. You're off to a good start though.

No worries! Its all good. They are all good kits so they should go a bit more smoothly than this one... partly because they don't require such a large modification as removing the tail.

• 4 weeks later...

So its been awhile.... which I should apologize for. I was first waiting for a new rear canopy for the tail twin 50s. Then I found this photo of a C-30 Marauder at Dodge.

Appa_B-26a.jpeg

Its more representative of the type trained on by students at Dodge, as you can see in Bud's IFR sheet above. And its does not require the surgery that a C-5 requires. So Off we go.

Assembly:

5Y4.jpg

5Y7.jpg

I primed with a spare old modelmaster bottle of very glossy dark green/blue. The tail gunner's position is a bit messed up however. I don't think I constructed it well (which you won't be able to tell because everything was masked. However I also forgot to use the proper base color (interior green) so the primer color of dark glossy green blue will show in some areas. Then I painted her up in Alclad. I queried the public and most seem to think the cowls and tail were in yellow, so I used some Gunze and painted it. There was a bit of overspray as you can see at the base of the tail, so I'll need to correct that.

5Y8.jpg

5Y10.jpg

I'm coming to the end of this particular build and I'm kinda excited; I'm going to start telling the story of Bud's wartime service and building the first of several planes that defined his time in service.

Edited by -Neu-

Wow - this looks great! Damn I love those NMFs.

Now I don't know if its the camera, the panel lines or the shading but I had to do a double take - notice the fuselage top looks 'bulged' - I know its not but what a weird effect.

Or maybe its just me.

Wow - this looks great! Damn I love those NMFs.

Now I don't know if its the camera, the panel lines or the shading but I had to do a double take - notice the fuselage top looks 'bulged' - I know its not but what a weird effect.

Or maybe its just me.

No, its not just you... I see it too in the photo. Its how the shading hits the shape at the top of the wing, creating some sort of weird distortion.

Almost done the model. I hope to have it completed by tomorrow.

Well here are the final photos... for now. I have an idea for a composition that I'll have to wait a few weeks before I can pull it off. I also need to add the pitot tube and correct some overspray in the engines. Edit: and fix that landing gear. But that won't happen for another week, so here is basically the final photos.

5x3.jpg

5x4.jpg

5x5.jpg

The tail area caused me problems. IT looks good from afar but I'm not too happy with it.

5x6.jpg

5x7.jpg

And a final shot.

Appa_B-26a.jpeg

5x8.jpg

Up next, Italy, 1945.

Edited by -Neu-
  • 2 weeks later...