All new tooling 1/48 IAI KFIR

Is it just me or is there something a little strange about the nose on the CAD? It seems kind of small or the tail is kind of big. But given we aren't looking at an image being distorted by a camera lens focal length, that might be what I am seeing.

If indeed a brand new 1/48 Kfir is coming, I'll be doing the happy dance as well. It probably wouldn't be hard to backdate one of these into a Kfir C1 version.

If the perspective seems off it is probably because there is no perspective. I guess the pictures are generated with the software using parallel projection. Look for example at the drop tanks, they seem fatter at the rear than at the front, it is because the "sides" are parallel instead of angled so that they meet at some distant vanishing point. This will also make the rear of the aircraft look larger in relation to the nose than it actually is.

Actually, I think the aircraft look more macho this way :-)

/E

If the perspective seems off it is probably because there is no perspective. I guess the pictures are generated with the software using parallel projection. Look for example at the drop tanks, they seem fatter at the rear than at the front, it is because the "sides" are parallel instead of angled so that they meet at some distant vanishing point. This will also make the rear of the aircraft look larger in relation to the nose than it actually is.

Actually, I think the aircraft look more macho this way :-)

/E

Ah yes. Isometric projection. You're probably right.

The CAD images mean nothing to me. I'd love a 1/48 Kfir but I want to see the plastic these days before I spend my money.

Tom

yep, these days, it's rather easy to throw a CAD in a forum... i'll be :banana: when i'll see some metal/mold carving at least...

Ah yes. Isometric projection. You're probably right.

I had a feeling. I just wanted somebody with a better trained eye who had seen that before to point it out since it has been years since I looked at an Isometric projected image.

As for "Russian" aircraft, the Kfir was used in both real life and films as a Mig. The Navy used the C1s as MiG-21 simulators (hence the F-21 designation if I remember correctly). Or you could do it as an Iron Eagle/JAG/whatever other film or TV show used the same stock footage "MiG-23", with the appropriate yellow five pointed stars on maroon circular background. So you technically wouldn't be leaving the path of "Russian" aircraft. ;)

Edited by Jay Chladek

Wow now this is very cool..hopefully the start of a maybe Mirage IiII E series..now that would be the best modelling news for years..well this year anyway!

HPM Hobbies and Must Have already have 1/48 IIIE's planned AFAIK

HPM Hobbies and Must Have already have 1/48 IIIE's planned AFAIK

Problem here is tat Must Have are a limited run company and so, to a large degree, are HPM. What I want is a decent, well engineered and readily available IIIE/5 series. Something in the vein of Eduard's Mig-21 series.

Problem here is tat Must Have are a limited run company and so, to a large degree, are HPM. What I want is a decent, well engineered and readily available IIIE/5 series. Something in the vein of Eduard's Mig-21 series.

Limited run company doesn't mean that the toolings are of the limited run kind. The difference between limited run and long run is vanishing as the same methods are used (CAD) and the toolings are done in the same place (China).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I find it rather strange when someone makes a thread about his own product, and then proceedes to totally ignore all the questions about the product. I understand if there is language barrier issue, but doesn't seem to be in this case... Oh well.

I find it rather strange when someone makes a thread about his own product, and then proceedes to totally ignore all the questions about the product. I understand if there is language barrier issue, but doesn't seem to be in this case... Oh well.

I've wondered the same thing. I think these teaser photos are posted to be just that, teasers. If the manufacturer answers questions, he's going to be overwhelmed with questions about the kit's accuracy, or details, or what they're planning next, ad nausem. It's easier to simply post the photos, generate some buzz, and let the customers be surprised when the kit is finally released.

Steven Brown

Scale Model Soup