Fort Hood Hueys take final flight

Huey retirement

Fort Hood retired the last Army active duty UH-1s this last weekend. This means the only army Hueys that are flying are at the test facilities flown by DACS.

On a related topic. I heard from a reliable source that the Arizona Army National Guard complained about the UH-72 and are still flying three UH-1V and have requested and have been granted several Huey IIs. I am trying to find out if this is true!

Huey retirement

Fort Hood retired the last Army active duty UH-1s this last weekend. This means the only army Hueys that are flying are at the test facilities flown by DACS.

On a related topic. I heard from a reliable source that the Arizona Army National Guard complained about the UH-72 and are still flying three UH-1V and have requested and have been granted several Huey IIs. I am trying to find out if this is true!

Thanks for the article. I knew it was coming but it's always tough to see another flight of Hueys put out to pasture. Please find out if the AZNG Huey rumor is true (I'll check on my end as well). That would be awesome!

Ray

It's not a sad day. A great bird has now taken it's sit at the table of legends that have gone before.

Please pass along any info. It sorta makes since that the Lakota would have an issue in AZ, IIRC there was issues with heating. Even if fixed and it worked elsewhere, AZ would be toughest spot in the US where it stays. What type of helo does the medical communities in AZ fly?

• 2 weeks later...

A sad day indeed.

As for the UH-72 having problems out in AZ, the lifeflight teams run a mix of choppers from the Eurocopter AS350 to the Bell Jetranger.

From what I've been able to find, the Eurocopter AS350(B2/B3) is the most popular for medevac, followed by the Bell 407.

Tank, here is what I found by company:

Air Evac: 7 AS350, 1 EC135P2, 1 Bell 407, 3 unknown

Arizona Lifeline: 3 Bell 407

ASP: 4 Bell 407

Classic Lifeguard: 2 Bell 407

Guardian Air: 4 Bell 407

HALO: 1 AS350

LifeNet Arizona: 2 AS350, 4 unknown

Native Air Ambulance: 10 AS350, 3 unknown

Tri-State CareFlight: 1 AS350, 4 Agusta A119

Edited by Jeff_C