This is a place to put your completed build. I'd suggest to keep pics to a minimum and maybe add a synopsis of why you built what you did. Maybe no more than 3 pictures with a short paragraph. It an be copied n pasted from your build if you so desire. I just think it'll be easier for those following along.

Get to it!

Too late for me, I finished this kit last Spring. I thought I wold share as a primer for this build....

Miracle Maker is based in Tulsa where I live and I had an opportunity to take a ride in Miracle Maker back in 2005.

Picture of me in the back seat heading out to the runway....The plane still has the "0" on the tail (was 50). The numbers have been removed since my ride.

P-51D-dh-loaded-crop.jpg

Tamiya 1/48 scale Mustang. Cockpit highly modified resin set with scratch built extras including the custom seats.

Thanks to Draw Decals for the markings.

MM-P51-01.jpg

MM-P51-03.jpg

Edited by drhornii

Thanks to the mods for setting up and running this build.

A few more photos of the CF-100.

I just noticed that the ejection sheet handle ring is broken. D'oh!

Done-Cockpit.jpg

I didn't take the time to do the fan blades a metallic colour. This is good enough for me.

Done-Front2.jpg

You can see Shelby in the background keeping a watchful eye on the photographer. She thought I might have a dog biscuit on me! Rotten little dog...

Done-Front1.jpg

One last one to go with the others in my build thread below.

Done-RR1.jpg

Mike

Edited by AX 365
  • 4 weeks later...

This is my 1/48 scale Ibex T-6A Texan II, built as a Canadian (NATO Flying Training in Canada, or NFTC) Harvard II. I used Caracal decals. This aircraft is special to me because I worked for 2 years on the simulator project for NFTC, where we built 3 Harvard II simulators, and 2 Hawk simulators. I was a test pilot on the project. I got to fly a prototype of these aircraft at Raytheon's plant in Wichita, Kansas. Two flights, one in the back, then the other in the front seat. It was a fun little airplane to fly.

Years after working on the simulator project, I ended up working for the company that runs the contracted training at NFTC; my office was here in Bagotville, but my support base and supervisor were in Moose Jaw's NFTC building. I often went back there, a place I had instructed for 5 years on the CT-114 Tutor, and saw these little turboprops buzzing around the traffic pattern.

P1150706.jpg

P1150705.jpg

P1150707.jpg

ALF

• 2 weeks later...

After it left the assembly line, Canadair Sabre Mark 2, serial number 19421, was assigned to 434 'Bluenose' Squadron based at CFB Uplands in Ottawa. The 'Bluenosers' were stood up at Ottawa on 01 July 1952. Milberry's Sabre bible shows that 19421 was the 321st Sabre built by Canadair at Cartierville and she took her first flight on 11 September 1952. She was taken on strength by the R.C.A.F. on 19 September 1952; 60 years, 1 week and 2 days ago - as I write this paragraph on 27 September 2012. Uncle Guy was assigned to 434 Squadron in June 1952 and then reassigned to 438 Squadron in November 1952. Although I don't know it for certain, I'm going to presume that Uncle Guy flew 19421 at one point during his time in Ottawa between 19 September 1952 and November 1952. The possibility was there as was the opportunity. Who knows? Quoting Milberry's book, F/O S.E. 'Syd' Burrows was responsible for ferrying 19421 overseas. "March 7 - April 6 he was part of Leapfrog 3, flying 19421 from Ottawa to Zweibrucken." - Page 149, The Canadair Sabre, Larry Milberry. Sabre 19421 met her demise in a Category A crash on 21 October 1960 during a wheels up landing at Merzifon, Turkey.

Found an link to a digitized article from a January 1953 edition of the Ottawa Citizen stating that Syd Burrows as the usher at Uncle Guy and Aunt Barbara's wedding. How small a world is it!?

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=edMwAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Ct8FAAAAIBAJ&pg=7068,643169&dq=barbara+rolston&hl=en

Here she is...

LeftSide.jpg

RightFrontCorner.jpg

Tail.jpg

Edited by AX 365
  • 1 month later...

Finally finished it, just in time for the show in Tulsa that it was built for.

The kit is made by planet models and is resin and vacuuform. I had to scratch the antennas, some cockpit stuff and the venturi on the RH side of the cockpit.

PT-19-03.jpg

PT-19-01.jpg

PT-19-02.jpg

PT-19-04.jpg

And the second model.....barely made the deadline of Nov 10th.

It is the 1/48 scale Tamiya kit. I updated it to match the modern day Millie G by adding a back seat and extra antennas like the GPS antenna behind the back seat.

P-51_Millie-04.jpg

P-51_Millie-03.jpg

P-51_Millie-02.jpg

P-51_Millie-01.jpg

Both builds

P-51_Millie-05.jpg

Edited by drhornii

Very very nice drhornii. Excellent execution. I really like the Pt.... a rare aircraft in an unique scheme. Are you going to build anything else?

Not for this build, I need to finish the AN-124 I put aside to build these. This month I will not be doing much building. Holidays, travel for work, Civil air patrol training....lots of stuff to do.

Here are all three inspired builds. Two of the three aircraft (Millie G was not there) were at the fly in Saturday and the plane owners got to see their birds!

Tulsatrio-03.jpg

Edited by drhornii
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm calling my Voodoo done.

Brief summary:

My father was a Navigator on Voodoos on 409 Squadron, Comox, BC, from 1964 to 1967. This was his dream job as a Nav - right next to the place he grew up (Nanaimo), and on one of the hottest jets of its era. Only years later, when he became a pilot and flew the CF-104, did he like an aircraft better than the One-O-Wonder.

The jets were natural metal, which I replicated with Alclad shades. The undercoating was Krylon black. Decals are from Belcher Bits.

P1160046.jpg

P1160044.jpg

P1160059.jpg

ALF

• 5 weeks later...

Here is another build - this one is two CF-104s in 1/72 scale. They honour my Uncle's career flying the CF-104 - from the RCAF days in Lahr, Germany in the 60s, to when he was Base Commander at Baden in Germany in 1984 as they were retired from service.

The kit was the "Starfighters" boxing from Hasegawa. I used Leading Edge variegated decals for the single, and Wintervalley natural metal decals for the dual. The single was painted with Tamiya acrylics; the dual with Alclad and Tamiya white primer.

P1160592.jpg

P1160591.jpg

P1160589.jpg

P1160585.jpg

ALF

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My final build for this group. CF-18 790, as it was the day I flew it from Cold Lake to Bagotville in December 1987, where it became one of the first 12 aircraft to form 433 Squadron. It had 50 flying hours when I strapped into it one cold day to fly it East, via Thunder Bay for fuel, then on to Bagotville. At the time we flew with centreline tanks most of the time - before the fatigue life police killed that fun configuration. The Hornet is my all-time favourite fighter, but I have several second-best favourites (CF-104, CF-5, F-16, F-15, F-14, you name it!).

It had been a few years since I built a 1/48 Hasegawa Hornet - I had forgotten just how many tiny pieces it comes with. I think I'll do mostly 1/32 Hornets in future!

P1160803_zpsa9dc764b.jpg

P1160798_zps3d7276b2.jpg

P1160799_zpsb3219488.jpg

ALF

OK, cranked out another.....

Not an exact reproduction but a build inspired by a co-workers 80% light sport Fokker D.VII.

The light sport plane

DVII-01_zps1d2365ec.jpg

DVII-03_zps0f700e82.jpg

The model, Rodens 1/48 Fokker D.VII (OAW)

Fokker_DVII-04_zpsfb68da42.jpg

Fokker_DVII-05_zps838455cb.jpg

Fokker_DVII-08_zpse8d3cad4.jpg

Edited by drhornii
  • 5 weeks later...

Well looks like we're all done. This has been a fantastic GB with some very interesting stories told by all. Keep it going as I really think this should be a permanent part of ARC.

Wait, this is done???? I had it in my head that this ran until August. :bandhead2:

Please, someone say that this will be a permanent build. I feel like a total idiot coz my Spit Vb is still sitting unfinished on the workbench. :doh:

An embarrassed BD.

Just because the GB officially may be done doesn't mean you need to stop building. This wasnt a contest or anything but a place to focus those personal stories a lot of us have that may have lead us to modeling.

I suggested it made permanent but that all fell on deaf ears. Maybe wrote your congressman!

Edited by Bigasshammm