1/32 Trumpeter F-14D Super Tomcat

Excellent work so far!!

One other area of (in)accuracy I can alert you to in the trumpeter kit, although you are a long way to go before constructing them, is the forward phoenix pallets. Perhaps get some tamiya spares?

Edited by dryguy

Excellent work so far!!

One other area of (in)accuracy I can alert you to in the trumpeter kit, although you are a long way to go before constructing them, is the forward phoenix pallets. Perhaps get some tamiya spares?

Thank you. I didn't know about inaccurate forward phoenix pallets. What's wrong with them?

The problem with the forward phoenix palletes is that the curved part is much too flat and not bulged enough. If you wanted I guess you could leave them off and just arm up with sparrows?

When you get to constucting the nose, I suggest attaching the plastic radome, and then trimming it to a accept metal pitot. Trumpeter have not put attachment line close enough to the tip.

The problem with the forward phoenix palletes is that the curved part is much too flat and not bulged enough. If you wanted I guess you could leave them off and just arm up with sparrows?

When you get to constucting the nose, I suggest attaching the plastic radome, and then trimming it to a accept metal pitot. Trumpeter have not put attachment line close enough to the tip.

I am planning to arm up with GBU-16s, so I will need those forward palletes.

Thanks for tips about the nose.

I started to work on main gear.

Needed some putty after glueing it together.

32081b22.jpg

This is too thin according to real image (this is thickest guitar string I have). So now I need to buy a thicker guitar string.

9c8494f5.jpg

Edited by tomfomes

Wow, what a detail work on the wheel well and nose gear. I like it a lot. Since this is going to be F-14D what markings are you looking to place on this fine jet?

Mike

Hi Mike. Thank you very much. Just look down at my signature. I'm planning to build F-14D BuNo.164342 NE 106 of VF-2 'Bounty Hunters'.

It was the first VF-2 jet to fire its M-61 Vulcan 20 mm cannon in anger during OIF. Pilot Lt Tony Culic led his flight below the cloud layers to successfully destroy Iraqi APC hiding in a treeline. After refuelling, and despite deteriorating weather, he once again led his flight below the clouds and into a high threat area to conduct attacks in support of Coalition troops who were being fired upon. He quickly and skillfully directed multiple visual bomb and gun attacks at very high speed and low altitude, destroying or dispersing all enemy forces and rescuing Coalition troops. He recieved an Air Medal for these actions. (info from book US NAVY F-14 TOMCAT UNITS OF OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM by Tony Holmes) Here is a picture of a pilot:

170b47e2.jpg

I'm considering to load it with two AIM-9s, LANTIRN, one AIM-54C, two GBU-16s and a solitary GBU-12 on the left front pallet as you can see on the next picture:

64675319.jpg

Edited by tomfomes

Totally awesome. I think Zotz decals are the only thing in market to do VF-2 in low viz markings. I have a set and I highly recommend if you still don't have one yet. I'll be following your build with great interest. Keep up the good work.

Mike