1/32 Trumpeter F-14D Super Tomcat

Thank you guys. tomcat21 thank you for the awesome video.

Yesterday I had a very little time, so I just sanded the main gear and primed it with Mr. Surfacer 1000. Notice that I sanded off the tie-down point on the main strut. I will scratchbuild it to make it look more realistic.

76b1dc9c.jpg

Edited by tomfomes

I just started some detail work on main landing gear...and I put together the aircraft with masking tape..I just wanted to see how big it is...its amazing :woot.gif:/>

Here are some pictures:

8a238439.jpg

e3c818e2.jpg

fba4c731.jpg

1de30252.jpg

f471ad15.jpg

Edited by tomfomes

Very nice attention to detail. Love the scratching of the tie-down rings. When I was on the George Washington I worked in the hangar bay, and wouldnt ya know it they put me in bay 3 which held the kittys. My favorite part of the day was when the plane captains would do their cleanings and inspections, and allow me the privalege of sitting in the front seat! How many people can say they got to sit in the front seat of an F-14 Tomcat?

TomFomes.

MY favorite jet is looking very good in your Skilful hands..

AMAZING work do far.. :worship:/> :worship:/>

Keep up the good work :salute:/>

HOLMES thank you very much! It is my favourite jet, too. :)/>

Very nice attention to detail. Love the scratching of the tie-down rings. When I was on the George Washington I worked in the hangar bay, and wouldnt ya know it they put me in bay 3 which held the kittys. My favorite part of the day was when the plane captains would do their cleanings and inspections, and allow me the privalege of sitting in the front seat! How many people can say they got to sit in the front seat of an F-14 Tomcat?

Thank you JMan. I never had an opportunity to see Tomcat on my own eyes, so I envy you a lot. :)/>

Here is some progress on the main landing gear:

3db737b9.jpg

I sanded off the middle of the side brace (I think that is the name of it...correct me if I'm wrong) as you can see on real photo.

cee45ea5.jpg

f056a196.jpg

eabac0a4.jpg

Edited by tomfomes

Sorry one other question, do you intend to have the wings swept or not? On my hobbyboss build I built it with the wings swept and had to remove plastic from the wing bladders as the wings were not sitting at the correct angle, maybe something to watch out for. Another thing you may consider is filling in the rivets on the tailplanes; my understanding is that these are boron composites that should not have rivets. Also be careful where the front of the windshield joins the fuselage; many builds I have seen have a 'hump' that should really be sanded away. I hope this is useful info; I will try to help as and when I can. Keep up the outstanding work!!

Thank you guys for kind word, it's very motivating. dryguy thanks for your tips and yes I'm planning to have the wings swept. I will check it. Here are new pictures after some painting and washing. It was painted with Mr. Color White and washed with enamel flat black.

cac5242e.jpg

3cc7e0f6.jpg

51a0749b.jpg

5dd621b9.jpg

Edited by tomfomes

Okay, so I checked the front pallettes. I compared it with the blueprints (I hope they are accurate). dryguy was right about these pallettes, that the curved part is much too flat and not bulged enough. See on the picture below. I need to do something with it...

58_zps472cadc8.jpg

I had a very little time this week so I did not make much progress. Before I start work on main landing gear bays, I decided to make some details on fuselage. I started with construction of two air conditioning system fans located next to the air intakes. I have sacrificed one AIM-7 Sparrow for it. Here are some pictures:

59_zps9826d483.jpg

60_zps0c9cf210.jpg

61_zpsf282a3b2.jpg

62_zpscce7fe21.jpg

I made holes for the fans. Here are compared with real photo:

63_zpsd70bf435.jpg

Finished fans:

64_zps9db1ee55.jpg

And my landing gear is almost ready :)/>/>

dc9f0bba.jpg

56_zps70737dcb.jpg

57_zpsb04081d5.jpg