1/32 Trumpeter F-14D Super Tomcat

Tomfomes, I love your main landing gears. The additional detail and chipping sure do brings it to life. Very nice tip on the fan, but what are you going to use to replace the wire mesh with? TIA.

Mike

Hi Mike. For replacement of the wire mesh I have used an old sieve mesh as you can see on the picture below:

66_zps5dba765c.jpg

mareku, JMan, JesniF-16, geedubelyer, thank you guys for your tips and support! I appreciate it a lot! :salute:/>

Here is my progress. I made the wire mesh, rivets, lines and some extra details. I painted it with Mr. Surfacer 500. It's not very accurate, but I can live with that. :)/>

65_zps0a90321a.jpg

Edited by tomfomes

Okay, I was not satisfied with my latest work, so I rebuilded it. The problem was that there was glue visible on the wire mesh and the mesh itself was pretty ugly. Even if the mesh is not very accurate, because it is too sparse according to real wire mesh, I used the same material. The reason was that I had no other material...but I think it looks pretty good. I changed the way of glueing it to the fuselage. I sanded the sides of the hole and glued the mesh inside the fuselage on sanded sides, which can not be seen from outside. Here are some pictures:

67_zps98fa02bc.jpg

68_zpsd2c841ef.jpg

I washed the fans with tamiya enamel flat black:

69_zps00f90200.jpg

And I positioned the fans inside the fuselage using some evergreen plastic as you can see on next pictures:

70_zps27fb3fa7.jpg

71_zps5365ebc6.jpg

72_zps88c62e06.jpg

Next I rebuilded the grille below the windshield and cooling fan behind it. Here are some pictures of my work:

73_zpse3981a1f.jpg

74_zps6f29fb39.jpg

75_zpsd7f039de.jpg

76_zps6a82b6ca.jpg

Edited by tomfomes

77_zpsf0c1d9ac.jpg

I also glued and primed the Eduard PE parts inside the boarding steps:

78_zps8fe10b58.jpg

79_zps5cf605c0.jpg

Scratchbuilded avionics cooling fan. Painted with Mr. Surfacer 1000 and washed with Tamiya enamel flat black:

80_zpsf8f72886.jpg

Cooling fan positioned behind the grille:

81_zpsa4a0ab49.jpg

And here are some new and better photos of landing gear. I drybrushed the tyres with enamel flat grey and flat brown.

82_zps22e81dc8.jpg

83_zpsfca1d85e.jpg

84_zpsd31bbd30.jpg

85_zps2ea551c8.jpg

86_zps078c28d3.jpg

Edited by tomfomes

Damn those are some of the sexiest legs I have ever seen, nice detail on them. Love the scratch building of those cooling fans especially the one below the windscreen. Just awesome work!

Damn those are some of the sexiest legs I have ever seen, nice detail on them. Love the scratch building of those cooling fans especially the one below the windscreen. Just awesome work!

Thanks JMan! :)

Great job on EVERYTHING! Having built two 1/32 F-14's in the past, I know a good Cat build when I see it and this one is top notch on every level at every stage. :thumbsup:

BTW, If you haven't found it already, there's a great site for F-14 details here that has helped me out a lot with panel line and rivet patterns, etc.:

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle_f-14d/f-14d_159600_christine_parts/

Keep it coming!

Greit job.

Thank you mareku. BTW I love your 1/18 Tomcat! :thumbsup:/> :salute:/>

Some lovely work you've got there.

I'm going to be watching with interest.

Well Done

Mike

Mike, thank you very much. :)/>

Great job on EVERYTHING! Having built two 1/32 F-14's in the past, I know a good Cat build when I see it and this one is top notch on every level at every stage. :thumbsup:/>

BTW, If you haven't found it already, there's a great site for F-14 details here that has helped me out a lot with panel line and rivet patterns, etc.:

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle_f-14d/f-14d_159600_christine_parts/

Keep it coming!

Thank you Chuck for kind words and thank you for the great site, I did't know about it...it will be very useful.

Today I made important decision. I decided to completely rebuild the main landing gear bays...I think I will sand off almost all of the detail and scratchbuild everything acoording to real images...so wish me luck. :)/>

Here is a picture of untouched main landing gear bay:

89_zps4d597976.jpg

I glued the Eduard PE parts for main landing gear bay:

90_zps6d2cdff2.jpg

And here is first step of my work on it....no turning back :doh:/> :)/>

91_zps57eb44cb.jpg

And I started to scratchbuild some parts of the bay:

92_zpsfc402fe8.jpg

93_zpsd91dfb79.jpg

94_zps47f4a804.jpg

Edited by tomfomes

I love Edward PE with the exception of the pre-painted, I mean where is the fun in that. Very nice detail though your adding, I wish I could afford all the Evergreen plasticard I could afford, that would be awesome so I can learn to scratchbuild like you and all the other Masters on this forum! Great job!

Little progress...Yesterday had arrived the Eduard F-14D Armament photoetched set, so I continued the work on gun bay area. I started with the steel gun gas exhaust vent (I think that's the name of it, correct me if I'm wrong).

At first I had to create hole for the eduard photoetched part. Progress pictures:

95_zpscc57694e.jpg

96_zpsddb3e6ca.jpg

I also drilled the hole for the gun bay vent:

97_zpsd7a5a16a.jpg

I had positioned the Eduard PE part to it's place:

98_zpse6347df1.jpg

Next I tried to drill holes for another two gun bay vents, but it was a little disaster.. :doh:/> Here it is:

99_zps218a0da3.jpg

This is how I solved it...I made a hole just behind the vents:

100_zpsd058c13d.jpg

I sanded it and glued a piece of evegreen plastic to it. Next I will fill it, sand it, make rivets, print it and I think it will look good. Here are some pictures:

101_zpsd57a21e3.jpg

102_zps1a985c4e.jpg

Thank you for watching. :cheers:/>

Edited by tomfomes

hey bro

Some mighty fine work going on here!

Just as an alternative to the thicker Evergreen styrene, try this stuff: http://www.hlj.com/product/YLSPPC-T50

Its as thin as paper and super easy to work with (meaning less sanding because it fits more flush with the surface)

Anyways, keep it up - I'm really enjoying watching you bring the cat to life!

MH

Your Tomcat is looking very good. I love the legs.

Just as an alternative to the thicker Evergreen styrene, try this stuff: http://www.hlj.com/product/YLSPPC-T50

Evergreen has .005" thick white plastic which is the same thickness as the .14mm stuff.

http://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Paint_and_Construction/EVE00009009/product.php?s=4&t=3&u=0&micr=2926&pg=1&ppp=24&sb=stocknumber&so=a

hey bro

Some mighty fine work going on here!

Its as thin as paper and super easy to work with (meaning less sanding because it fits more flush with the surface)

Anyways, keep it up - I'm really enjoying watching you bring the cat to life!

MH

Your Tomcat is looking very good. I love the legs.

Evergreen has .005" thick white plastic which is the same thickness as the .14mm stuff.

http://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Paint_and_Construction/EVE00009009/product.php?s=4&t=3&u=0&micr=2926&pg=1&ppp=24&sb=stocknumber&so=a

Thank you guys for kind words and tips. The piece of white plastic, what you can see on the last two pictures, is the .005" (.14mm) evergreen styrene, so I already have it. Madhatter you are right, it's super easy to work with...I cut it with scissors... :)

New progress..I'm planing to have the refueling probe's main door removed, so I detailed the refueling probe bay.

103_zpsecab3d79.jpg

104_zpsfa7d0e68.jpg

And these two holes are gun gas exhaust ports, I think... (please correct me if I'm wrong):

105_zpsd75e4720.jpg

Edited by tomfomes

You are very brave to scratch build your own wheel wells, but with the skill I have seen so far, I am sure that your parts will be 100% better than the kit.

Thank you dryguy.

Amazing work!

Tell me, how did you made the hydraulic piston shine so much on the landing gear? You used some kind of foil or paint?

Thank you, For the hydraulic piston I used kitchen aluminium foil.

Wow, simply stunning on all fronts! Great to see the legs about done!

:thumbsup:/> :thumbsup:/> :thumbsup:/>

Marcel

Hi Marcel, thank you very much. Tonight I made some paintwork, nothing much...The gun bay will be closed, but I painted it anyway...maybe part of it will be visible through the gun gas exhaust vent...

111_zpsa9ea2273.jpg

112_zpsa1c85a3e.jpg

Edited by tomfomes

Again I hope this is helpful, if not please ignore. I think that it was only the bravo version that had the stiffener plates around the crew boarding steps? Might be worth checking against pics of the actual aircraft you are modelling. Should be simple to sand flat. But please check first!

Edited by dryguy

Again I hope this is helpful, if not please ignore. I think that it was only the bravo version that had the stiffener plates around the crew boarding steps? Might be worth checking against pics of the actual aircraft you are modelling. Should be simple to sand flat. But please check first!

Hi dryguy, thank you for tip. I have checked it. On the picture is actual aircraft, that I'm modelling. I think there is the stiffener plate that you have metioned. Is that ok?

113_zps83f16c67.jpg

Edited by tomfomes