1/32 Trumpeter F-14D Super Tomcat

Do you think the front part of the Tamiya kit pallet grafted to the wolfpack part work?

Honestly I don't know but I would definitely try it. Is it possible to get only some parts from the Tamiya kit or you have to buy the whole thing? Thanks.

Tomas

Honestly I don't know but I would definitely try it. Is it possible to get only some parts from the Tamiya kit or you have to buy the whole thing? Thanks.

Tomas

If you need any, I have a couple I could send you that I didn't use on my last F-14. Just PM me if you are interested.

Chuck

If you need any, I have a couple I could send you that I didn't use on my last F-14. Just PM me if you are interested.

Chuck

Thank you Chuck, I'll send you a PM.

Small progress with rescribing of the panel lines..I never would have think that this could be so time consuming.

1_zpsb4f84fae.jpg

2_zps899817f6.jpg

Cheers,

Tomas

Tomas

I would take Chuck up on that offer :thumbsup: , I often thought about trying that after I saw how bad the kit and then wolfpacks looked . I finally got my paws on a set of zacto intakes myself. Keep up the good work, I know how hard it can be to push through with such a big and complicated build.

Wow, you're REALLY getting into this Tomcat!

Too bad on those front pallets, I will share your pain since I also have the Wolfpack versions in stock.

:cheers:

Marcel

Thank you Marcel. I am pretty sure that with your skills you will somehow fix those flat pallets and I will follow your work in the future to fix them same way, or I'll just try :) So when are you planning to build a Tomcat? I saw your previous models and they are just beautiful. I really would like to see a Tomcat from your bench.

Pallets are on the way. Good luck!

Thank you again Chuck. Hopefully they won't resist and will fit easily to my kit.

Check the front wheels with the wheel bay in the kit. The Weels are to separated. I noticed that in my F-14A trumpeter

:rolleyes:

Hi Manuel, I have noticed it as well. That's why I fixed it when I put on the Wheeliant detailed resin wheels. See on this picture they are much closer now.

82_zps22e81dc8.jpg

Cheers,

Tomas

Coming along nicely! One day, I will get myself one of the big Cats, but the sheer amount of aftermarket that is required for fixing the current kits so they are accurate

is insane. One should expect to get a correct kit for that money these days especially when one knows about today's technology and what is possible…

My respect to all those who build and fix these regardless of the kits' shortcomings!

Coming along nicely! One day, I will get myself one of the big Cats, but the sheer amount of aftermarket that is required for fixing the current kits so they are accurate

is insane. One should expect to get a correct kit for that money these days especially when one knows about today's technology and what is possible…

My respect to all those who build and fix these regardless of the kits' shortcomings!

To bad we will probably never see a new tool 1/32 Tamiya F-14.

• 2 weeks later...

The level of detail is just outstanding. You have done such a good job. I am especially impressed with those ejection seats. Great, clean, eye-catching work.

Thank you very much! :cheers:/>

Thank you. You are right this kit is not very accurate but not all aftermarket items I'm using are for correction. Most of them are just for extra detail. Incorrections in this kit which I noticed so far: inaccurate intkakes shape, inaccurate front pallets shape, inaccurate lines. But you're right that for this money we should have more accurate model.

My work with detailing of the Sparrow launchers was also inaccurate. I realized when I compared it to real photo. It was a lot longer then it should be... :bandhead2:/>

01_zpsd3ea4413.jpg

So radical measures had to take place...no way back

02_zps1bcb9f95.jpg

03_zps733d4378.jpg

04_zps27b5eb2e.jpg

After cutting the launcher and shortening to correct length:

05_zpsacae0b57.jpg

Healing process started. As I cut approximately 0.5 mm of plastic from each side by cutting it with saw I had to use plastic to fill the gaps.

06_zps0fcf98ea.jpg

Correct size launcher back in place:

07_zps74e051a8.jpg

After lot of sanding it started to look better again..

08_zps1036010f.jpg

Painted with Mr. Surfacer 1200. There are some lines missing and edges of the center Sparrow wells are not sharp as they should be, but I don't see a problem with that as all of it will be covered by the front pallets as you can see on next photo.

09_zpsfbf1bf01.jpg

10_zpsb048e89c.jpg

I added some more detail to the lower fuselage. Scratchbuilded small vents which are in the back section close to the engines.

11_zpscf47b008.jpg

12_zps298352b1.jpg

13_zps10bb71b3.jpg

14_zps75a27aac.jpg

Next the two air intake's bypass ducts on the upper fuselage. Zacto parts are very nice.

15_zps850dff00.jpg

I have added rivets to the lowered outlet of the ducts:

16_zps70ab07c9.jpg

Now these are Environmental Control System heat exchanger exhausts. I started with drilling the original plastic and then sanding it completely off.

17_zpsa77447a3.jpg

18_zps957e5b50.jpg

In the meantime I primed the AIRES wheel bays. I decided to use AIRES front wheel bay instead of the one which I already prepared because the detail on AIRES one is much much better.

20_zps0e18cf40.jpg

19_zps67035126.jpg

For the heat exchanger exhausts I started with the insides. As reference I used picture from primeportal.net walkarounds. For the heat exchanger radiator(?) I did the texture with scriber on the plastic sheet:

21_zps0a237b1c.jpg

22_zps7e7744f9.jpg

23_zps383df7c8.jpg

24_zps388697d9.jpg

25_zps3ad1ce27.jpg

Both are done:

26_zps38cb819a.jpg

And positioned to it's place, this is how it looks like:

27_zpse3bb06d9.jpg

28_zps6a9d9d71.jpg

29_zps5b14a1ad.jpg

30_zpscea338f0.jpg

Edited by tomfomes

Gift from Chuck arrived this week :rolleyes:/> Thank you very much. I am really happy about it because shape of Tamiya parts look much more accurate.

31_zpsfe728ee1.jpg

Here are some comparison photos with the Wolfpack ones. I think I will use only the bulged part from Tamiya parts as I really like the detail of the Wolfpack pallets.

32_zps1bd535ec.jpg

33_zps15a562bd.jpg

I have also looked at real pictures of lines at upper fuselage close to the heat exchanger exhausts and compared to lines on model. This is what I have to do to have it more accurate:

34_zpsbab84bac.jpg

That's it for now. Thank you for watching.

Cheers,

Tomas

Great work Tomas!

For the heat exchanger exhausts I started with the insides. ...

I'm not sure how much detail you want for the heat exchanger, but here's a detailed photo of the two exchangers. Note the smaller pipe branching out from the larger one in left side exchanger.

Air-conditioningsystemheatexchanger2_zpsc9ec4b13.jpg

Great stuff Tomas. Your doing fablious work. :thumbsup:

Mike

Very well done so far Tomas. Keep up the great job.

Steve

Mike, Steve, thank you very much!

Great work Tomas!

I'm not sure how much detail you want for the heat exchanger, but here's a detailed photo of the two exchangers. Note the smaller pipe branching out from the larger one in left side exchanger.

Air-conditioningsystemheatexchanger2_zpsc9ec4b13.jpg

Wow John, thank you for these pictures. I did't see this detail before. I also see possibly two triangle shaped "parts" in the lef side exchanger but not in the right. Is this correct? I will definitely add these details.

Cheers,

Tomas

... I also see possibly two triangle shaped "parts" in the lef side exchanger but not in the right. Is this correct?

Hi Tomas. Yes, it appears the extra support pieces are only on the left side. Larger photos of the exchangers are included in my In-progress F-14B build. Please see Post #181

If you need additional references for your build, have a look at my in-progress build. I've included an index to what has been done to date for ease of reference - link to Table Of Contents.

Hopefully I'll have this build completed in the near future (fingers crossed).

John