My first bad trader

Worst night of my life!

I had someone (two days ago) who was willing to trade me two piston-engined scale models for one 32 scale which I did not have in my stash. Then today my local hobby store had a special deal: buy one and get another at half price. I thought I use this opportunity to get a big kit for the trade so I contacted him via email and ARC since 5:48PM local time (Pacific) but got no response. The store was closing so I contacted him again at 6:22PM and again until I had no choice but to get a random 32 scale model of an F-15D/E Eagle by Revell. Before I left I checked with the store clerk about their refund policy and found out that they have none so I hoped my customer wants the Eagle. Then at 9:10PM from his smartphone he says he already has an Eagle and that's when it ticks me off - $40 blown for a model nobody wants!

Since I can't refund it I tried to sell it instead via "Buy & Sell" Thread. From past experiences I made offers before and got no customers so I thought I try to sell them at a really small price; for the 32 Eagle - $20.00. It finally attracted someone and was willing to buy it so I tried to make arrangements but found myself confused on the shipping price, and during that confusion something hit me ... I wasted $40 bucks for that kit and now I was going to sell it for $20?! This ****** me off and I'm getting tired. I got work tomorrow starting at 6AM and as I'm typing this it's already 12:24AM.

I've never sold nor traded any kits before but after this experience I am never selling here again. :angry:

Jack

Hey Jack I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience. Not everyone on here is a bad trader though. If you are interested and still have the Eagle I would gladly take it off of your hands for you. I will PM you after I post this. Hopefully you won't ever have to deal with people like that again. It is pretty bad when one bad apple ruins it for everyone else. JOSH

If I'm reading your post right, there were three hours and twenty-two minutes between your contacting the other fella and his replying. You have no idea what he was doing in that very short period of time that might have been more important than answering questions about a plastic model kit. You took a calculated risk which, alas, didn't work out for you. But I'm not seeing how this makes the other bloke a bad trader. If he'd strung you along for a week, perhaps; but I think your expectations might be a little unrealistic.

Worst night of my life!

I had someone (two days ago) who was willing to trade me two piston-engined scale models for one 32 scale which I did not have in my stash. Then today my local hobby store had a special deal: buy one and get another at half price. I thought I use this opportunity to get a big kit for the trade so I contacted him via email and ARC since 5:48PM local time (Pacific) but got no response. The store was closing so I contacted him again at 6:22PM and again until I had no choice but to get a random 32 scale model of an F-15D/E Eagle by Revell. Before I left I checked with the store clerk about their refund policy and found out that they have none so I hoped my customer wants the Eagle. Then at 9:10PM from his smartphone he says he already has an Eagle and that's when it ticks me off - $40 blown for a model nobody wants!

Since I can't refund it I tried to sell it instead via "Buy & Sell" Thread. From past experiences I made offers before and got no customers so I thought I try to sell them at a really small price; for the 32 Eagle - $20.00. It finally attracted someone and was willing to buy it so I tried to make arrangements but found myself confused on the shipping price, and during that confusion something hit me ... I wasted $40 bucks for that kit and now I was going to sell it for $20?! This ****** me off and I'm getting tired. I got work tomorrow starting at 6AM and as I'm typing this it's already 12:24AM.

I've never sold nor traded any kits before but after this experience I am never selling here again. :angry:

Jack

I'm not sure what this "bad trader" did. He contacted you two days ago offering you 2 kits for a kit you didn't have. Did you and he actually agree to a trade at that time, or did you assume that if the other person was willing to make the trade two days ago, he would be still willing to do so when you found one yesterday? Based on your post, it sounds like you took a risk in buying the kit assuming he was still interested. Saying he's a bad trader because he didn't respond to your email within a couple of hours, or in the absence of a firm deal between you and him, he found someone else who had what he was looking for, isn't right. You say you had "no choice" but to buy the kit. Sure you did, you could have chosen not to get it since you hadn't heard back from the other person.

So what happened when you tried to sell the kit for $20? It sounds like you found someone to buy it, but then pulled out on the deal when you thought about it. If that's what you did, that's not right.

Yea I'm going to go with the consensus that this wasn't a bad trader but just an unfortunate situation. Never rely on another person and always make the decisions yourself. Did you need those two kits that badly and he was the only person who had them? Was the 1/32 F-15 kit the one he was wanting or did you just buy any 1/32 kit in the hopes he'd trade for it and not think if he actually had it?

I'm currently dealing with my first possible bad trading experience on here. Paid for my item nearly 3 weeks ago and I still haven't gotten it. Seller's in the US and so it shouldn't have taken more than a 3 day postal journey for the kit. He says its in the mail so I've been giving the benefit of the doubt but after this Saturday if it's still not here the bad trader hammer is coming down.

I'm not sure what this "bad trader" did. He contacted you two days ago offering you 2 kits for a kit you didn't have. Did you and he actually agree to a trade at that time, or did you assume that if the other person was willing to make the trade two days ago, he would be still willing to do so when you found one yesterday? Based on your post, it sounds like you took a risk in buying the kit assuming he was still interested. Saying he's a bad trader because he didn't respond to your email within a couple of hours, or in the absence of a firm deal between you and him, he found someone else who had what he was looking for, isn't right. You say you had "no choice" but to buy the kit. Sure you did, you could have chosen not to get it since you hadn't heard back from the other person.

So what happened when you tried to sell the kit for $20? It sounds like you found someone to buy it, but then pulled out on the deal when you thought about it. If that's what you did, that's not right.

This whole deal was never right at the start. I was too focused on getting the "Betty" he has because I can't find it anywhere else. Now I am stuck.

Yea I'm going to go with the consensus that this wasn't a bad trader but just an unfortunate situation. Never rely on another person and always make the decisions yourself. Did you need those two kits that badly and he was the only person who had them? Was the 1/32 F-15 kit the one he was wanting or did you just buy any 1/32 kit in the hopes he'd trade for it and not think if he actually had it?

After last night's situation I'll just avoid deals like that. At that time I badly needed the "Betty" bomber (G4M). The 32 Eagle was bought as an accident and now I am stuck with it until I find a solution.

After last night's situation I'll just avoid deals like that. At that time I badly needed the "Betty" bomber (G4M). The 32 Eagle was bought as an accident and now I am stuck with it until I find a solution.

Should be an easy sale there. Don't get discouraged.

• 2 months later...

Kinda not understanding the "woah is me" syndrome on this one, bud. It's unfortunate, sure. But I think the impulsive decisions on your end are all that you really have to be mad at. If he said "Buy the 32'nd Eagle, and we'll have a deal.", and then flaked out, then yes....your post would have been valid. But as was already stated...you didn't have to pick up the secondary model, much less one that you didn't even know if he would be interested in. You should have picked out something that YOU personally would have built, just in case a situation just like this one came up. That way, you'd have at least still had a model that you would've been interested in.

Please, understand. I'm not trying to discredit you in any way. I'm just simply pointing out that you've made this out to be everyone else's fault but your own. When in reality...you took a gamble, and lost at it. Now you're stuck with a plane that you don't want. Not by anyone else's actions but your own. Sounds like you realized a moment too late that you let it go for too cheap, and then wanted to play it off like you've been jipped out of money. As was also stated...I think you found someone who was willing to bite, so perhaps you figured if he was willing to pay 20 bucks...why wouldn't he be willing to pay 40...at that rate, you've changed the terms of the negotiations, which...in my book. Would make you a bad trader. Again, this is just in theory, so I'm not saying anything out right negative towards you. I'm simply saying chock it up to an impulsive decision on your end, and don't resent everyone else around you...especially in a public forum where people's names can be destroyed in an already small community over a petty smear campaign, fueled by irrelevant negativity.

I joke sometimes about seeing some of the impulse in this hobby. i.e. People paying next day shipping to have a model that's going to sit and collect dust in their stash of 900 models for the next 40 years or folks who do sometimes outlandish things because they swear they need a particular kit right now. It's puzzling to say the least. Just try to move forward with it, and keep posting it in the buy/trade forum, and I'm sure you'll be able to find someone who will take it off your hands.