As I am getting help on various subjects thought I would throw this one in.

The zig zag thingy is I assume either a heating element or some similar item?

How do you build this into the canopy, I am talking Trumpeter's AV8B 11 PLUS IN 1/32 AND AM REALLY HAVING ISSUES WITH THIS ITEM.

Thanks Ian

The "zig zag" thing is the Miniature Detonation Cord that shatters the canopy on ejection.

As to realising it on the Trumpeter 1/32 kit, I can't help you there. A decal works wonders on the Hasegawa AV-8B in 1/72 but can't help you on the big stuff!!

Chris

I just checked the instruction manual and box contents online, but I don't see a decal or seperate part included in the kit for the detonation cord.

Did you get an aftermarket part ?

I used Eduard's PE set on my 48th harrier and it came with a PE detonation cord that was impossible to glue inside the canopy. So I ended up using the white decal included in the kit, which is as easy job.

Hi,

Flying Leathernecks makes a thin vinyl, self adhesive det. cord in 1/32, available (although currently out of stock) from spruebrothers.com :

http://store.spruebr...p/ordv32003.htm

I know some other online retailers have carried this item, so you might try a quick Google search if you need it right away.

HTH

:cheers:

Rob

Hi,

Flying Leathernecks makes a thin vinyl, self adhesive det. cord in 1/32, available (although currently out of stock) from spruebrothers.com :

http://store.spruebr...p/ordv32003.htm

I know some other online retailers have carried this item, so you might try a quick Google search if you need it right away.

HTH

:cheers:

Rob

Thanks Rob,

This will solve my problem nicely, do not need imediatly so have back ordered.

thanks, Ian

• 3 weeks later...

I would echo what Anton said. The Eduard etch det cord is the only one that faithfully captures the double lines of the dual det cords and is actually very easy to attach using some thinned white glue (which dries invisible to the naked eye). It only really needs to be attached at the front and back, and can be shaped to fit the canopy by carefully taping the front and back in place inside the canopy and pressing a soft cloth/t-shirt into the canopy so it conforms to shape.

Here is one I prepared earlier and am just in the process of fitting another. I have done this successfully 4 times and it looks much better than the decal or vinyl cords. I airbrushed it pale grey and ran a thinned wash down the middle to give definition to the two cords.

DSC01341.JPG

I wonder if it might be possible to Future the cord into the canopy? It might need a drop or two of white glue to tack it down and keep it from shifting. But then give the whole canopy a dunk and see how the results look. If it doesn't work, one could always strip out the Future with Windex (since it has ammonia in it).

I like how Airfix approached the det cord on their Hawk and Harrier kits. The cord is molded as a recess. Touch a brush with thinned down gray paint and it flows into the recess very nicely to make the det cord opaque. When dry, wipe the excess paint off the high spots.