Who's all in for another F-4 Phantom Group Build?

F-4 Phantom Group Build  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Would you participate?

Fellow addicts,

Got word from the PAA group build legal department recently. You will all be happy to know that cockpit and stores (to include pylons) can be assembled prior to the start of the GB, they just cannot be mounted in/on the airframe prior to the start date. This has been allowed to help whittle down the long wait time for the GB to start. The first raffle (prize to be determined prior to kick off date) will be for those who have a completed cockpit or weapons load that will be used during their build when the GB kicks off, details to follow. Happy building!

V/r

Ron

Fellow addicts,

Got word from the PAA group build legal department recently. You will all be happy to know that cockpit and stores (to include pylons) can be assembled prior to the start of the GB, they just cannot be mounted in/on the airframe prior to the start date. This has been allowed to help whittle down the long wait time for the GB to start. The first raffle (prize to be determined prior to kick off date) will be for those who have a completed cockpit or weapons load that will be used during their build when the GB kicks off, details to follow. Happy building!

V/r

Ron

Wow, I can start 5 cockpits and have em' ready in two weeks!!!

Think I just might do that infact. :rolleyes:

hmmmmm seems like very good timing this!! im just finishing off a 1/48 sea harrier and a 1/32 lightning f6 and next in line to build is my hase raf phantom.

im going for the grey/green camo from the 70s with 56 squadron markings!

ive done two grey phantoms already including the one in my signature below!!

ah well didnt realise start date was so late!!!!! :crying2:

Edited by F14SRCOOL

OK, we are allowed to do 'pits & weapons, so is there going to be a page for in progress pics?

A 72nd 'pit with just decals is pretty quick to do, I will dress one up a bit. May also drag out the 32nd kit I won a few years back and get going on it's 'pit!!

May the Phorce be with us!!

OK, we are allowed to do 'pits & weapons, so is there going to be a page for in progress pics?

A 72nd 'pit with just decals is pretty quick to do, I will dress one up a bit. May also drag out the 32nd kit I won a few years back and get going on it's 'pit!!

May the Phorce be with us!!

Ask and you shall receive...

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=256880

V/r

Ron

Well then, if we can get started on stores... what did 23 Sqn FGR.2s at RAF Stanley carry usually?

Probably AIM-9L (4) Sidewinders and Skyflash (4) missiles, then maybe the SUU 23-A gunpod or centerline tank depending on mission, and finally the standard wing tanks. The Skyflash is similar to the AIM-7E Sparrow but does have some minor differences in length ahead of the forward fins, the warhead is also a little different. I'm sure some of the British modelers will have better details.

V/r

Ron

Thanks for that, Ron.

A further question then.

I'll be in this GB possibly even with two builds. An 892 Sqn FG.1 and a 23 Sqn FGR.2. I'll be using the respective Fujimi kits, and in looking inside I got to wondering.

The FGR.2 kit comes with AIM-7E, some rocket pod, SUU-23 and a camera pod; the FG.1 comes with two kinds of AAMs - a Sidewinder of some variant, and I guess another AIM-7.

So on to the question: is this Fujimi Sidewinder an AIM-9L? As for the other missile in the FG.1, am I right in guessing it's a Sparrow? Is there a Skyflash available in 1/72, or will I have to modify the Sparrows from the kit?

Litvyak,

I'm not really sure about the Fujimi kits (I only have the 1/72 F-4E 3rd TFW boxing from them), I do have most of the Hasegawa 1/48 RAF kits, I can compare their missiles with some from a Hasegawa 1/48 USAF kit and maybe post some pics of the differences if any.

V/r

Ron

Litvyak,

I'm not really sure about the Fujimi kits (I only have the 1/72 F-4E 3rd TFW boxing from them), I do have most of the Hasegawa 1/48 RAF kits, I can compare their missiles with some from a Hasegawa 1/48 USAF kit and maybe post some pics of the differences if any.

V/r

Ron

Ok, compared Sparrow missiles between 2 RAF FG.1's, 2 RAF FGR.2's, 1 USAF F-4G, 1 USAF F-4E, 1 USN F-4J, all Hasegawa 1/48, and they were all the same. The RAF kits don't include sidewinders. On further investigation online, they are both the same length (12'), and through side by side picture comparisons, they pretty much look the same aerodynamically to me. I guess the first bit of info I read on another modeling forum was not accurate, that's where I read there was a length difference due to the different seaker heads.

• 2 weeks later...

Well at least a March start time will allow me to acquire more Phantoms plus accessories. Especially the Academy F-4B which I have several marking options for.

AND I will be on sick leave for two months starting in March, following jaw surgery, so I will have time on my hands.

Denis

I see that Lucky Model has the Academy F-4B in stock. At $36 US I would be willing to give it a try but with $20 on the shipping I'm going to pass right now since I can find Hassegawa kits for less now.

I see that Lucky Model has the Academy F-4B in stock. At $36 US I would be willing to give it a try but with $20 on the shipping I'm going to pass right now since I can find Hassegawa kits for less now.

They are supposed to be available in the US in early December.

The key for me is to wait another month or so until the Academy F-4B is available in the states. Then I'm all in.

Welcome to "The Great Wait", you have plenty of time to get your project together.

Edited by bashace
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok people, we're down to the three month mark on the countdown :woo:/> . There's been a whole bunch of hoopla (in a very good way) about the new Academy F-4B kit, it's going to be interesting to see how many of those will be entered into the GB. I've been working on the ROE with Ro-gar hobbies (Robert) and hope to have a first draft by the end of the year. Don't forget, cockpits and underwing stores can be completed prior to the GB start date. We have started to amass some nice raffle prizes and hope to acquire a few more sponsors before this campaign kicks off.

V/r

Ron

Edited by bashace

What are the rules on the group build again.I have a Academy F-4B on the way from Korea and plenty of Hasegawa F-4 C/Ds and F-4E's on hand.

Any F-4 Phantom kit, scale, or user may be entered into the build starting on 1 March 2013. The only construction that can be started or complete at the time of entry is the cockpit (including panels in cockpit area on inside of fuselage sides) and underwing stores (fuel tanks, missiles, bombs, ECM, pylons, TDY pods, gun pods, rocket pods, napalm, and racks). At this time "what-if" builds are not permitted (I'm not hating, just don't have the full OK to allow yet).

V/r

Ron

• 2 weeks later...