M1 mine plow question

Hi, I just had a quick question. I've got two Trumpeter M1s in 1/72, one of them being the M1A1 with mine plow and the other being an M1A2. I'm going to put a TUSK kit (courtesy of OKB Grigorov) on the M1A2, but what I was wondering is if it's more common to have the mine plow on an M1A1 or an M1A2 if both are in the same unit? I would think it would be best to have the older tank doing the more dangerous job. I ask because I'm planning to have a diorama with both the M1A2 and the M1A1 (mostly because I'm too lazy to convert the A1 to an A2) If it doesn't really matter which tank has the plow, I'll probably just mount it on the M1A2 because the combo of a mine plow and the TUSK kit just seems like it'd be nigh invincible. Thanks in advance.

The plow can go on either the A1 or the A2. The M1A2 added an armored connection box on top of the hull to the left and just behind the drivers hatch where the mine plow or the mine roller is connected. On the M1A1, Army and Marines versions, the control cable is run through the right drivers periscope, which is removed.

I'm not sure about the Marines, but the Army tactics are for the first three tanks in the column to be fitted with the mine plow, not just for mines, but for other obsticales as well.

HTH

• 3 weeks later...

One thing that would not happen is for a unit to mix M1A1s and M1A2s. They would be incompatable since none of the Blue force tracker or computerized como would work between tanks. It would also be a serious training issue and spare parts stocks. Battalions would be up trained to the A2 and converted over all at once. That doesn't mean one unit would not meet another in the field but they would not be in the same unit. Unless some dire combat emergency caused losses to be filled with what ever is available. Just a comment, your build is your build and in that case do what works for you.

TC

I'm not sure about the Marines, but the Army tactics are for the first three tanks in the column to be fitted with the mine plow, not just for mines, but for other obsticales as well.

Not necessarily. Unit TTPs could vary. If actually breaching, plow usually leads followed by roller to proof. If they were just fitted for possible use, the could be distributed throughout the unit, depending on the type of armor unit. If the tank is from a Divisional Cavalry Squadron, they usually weren't in the MTOE. Regimental Cavalry had them, but varied between Squadrons (we actually left our rollers in Kuwait in 2003). Armor battalions usually had a breach company designated. Most of the plows/rollers would be carried by the support platoon (HHC) until needed (fun stuff).

Fun fact: Plows don't work if the mines are installed upside down. We had a HMMWV hit an AT mine that was fortuantely upside down. We later had a plow clear the road (dirt). What should happen is the plow lifts and pushes the mine up and out of the way. Since it was upside down.....tore up the plow pretty darn good.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing that would not happen is for a unit to mix M1A1s and M1A2s. They would be incompatable since none of the Blue force tracker or computerized como would work between tanks. It would also be a serious training issue and spare parts stocks. Battalions would be up trained to the A2 and converted over all at once. That doesn't mean one unit would not meet another in the field but they would not be in the same unit. Unless some dire combat emergency caused losses to be filled with what ever is available. Just a comment, your build is your build and in that case do what works for you.

TC

This answers my question. Thanks a ton. So I should basically just convert my M1A1 kit to an M1A2.

You could have an A1 unit meet an A2 unit. its called a passage of lines if the M1A1 unit breached the obstacle and was defending it as an M1A2 unit passed through to continue the assualt. Also units do meet on the battlefield to coordinate actions confirm unit boundries etc... lots of reasons they could be in the same area but not the same unit.

TC