1/48 Monogram F-100

Here's my take on the good old Monogram Hun. This is the 3rd such kit I've built in 30 years, so there were no surprises left. However, I got a bit more ambitious with this one. I rescribed it and cut off the stabilators so I could reposition them in a more natural drooped position that you see on parked aircraft. I tossed the kit pitot tube and replaced it with telescoping sections of hypodermic tubing. The 200 & 275 gallon drop tanks are resin from Fox 3 Studios. The exhaust is Aires resin. Eduard photoetch rounds out the details. The decals are from Aeromaster.

I used Floquil Old Silver for the "Operation Lookalike" silver lacquer finish, and Alcad + Testor's Metalizers for the natural metal portions.

f-100_1.jpg

f-100_2.jpg

f-100_3.jpg

f-100_4.jpg

f-100_5.jpg

f-100_6.jpg

f-100_7.jpg

f-100_9.jpg

Edited by CrowTRobot

Wow...men that`s a great build...i have one of those old monograms and the new one of trumpeter....and i can tell you, the older one seems to be better if you rescribe it like you`ve done...congratulations...!!!!!!!

How did you rescribe the panel-lines?

I used a sewing needle chucked in a pin vise and a handful of scribing templates that I've accumulated over the years. I also cut some custom templates from an aluminum soda can.

I have a trumpeter one, and two beatiful monograms, one is the famous triple zitch, i love natural metal, but i really need to know how have you`ve done with the decals, did you use glossy barnish before applying them, it seems perfect...looks like painted...please i`m really waiting for your answer to start mine...congratulations, you`ve done quite a job here....

I have a trumpeter one, and two beatiful monograms, one is the famous triple zitch, i love natural metal, but i really need to know how have you`ve done with the decals, did you use glossy barnish before applying them, it seems perfect...looks like painted...please i`m really waiting for your answer to start mine...congratulations, you`ve done quite a job here....

Thank you! Before applying the decals I sprayed the model with Future to give it a high-gloss shine. Here are the steps I followed for each decal:

1. Dip in very hot water to soften it, then I apply it to the model.
  2. Dip a cotton swap in hot water and roll it across the decal to press it in place.
  3. Brush with Solvaset.
  4. When decal is dry slice through panel lines with a sharp scalpel and apply more Solvaset.
  5. Repeat steps 2-4 until desired finish is obtained.

Afterwards, I sprayed the model with a mix of Future + Tamiya Flat Base to give it a semi-gloss finish.

Good gracious that looks good! I am building the very kit right now. However I did not have the courage to rescribe it :( . I am curious, I have never rescribed a kit before...how much time do you think you have in the whole rescribing process? The reason that I ask is that my modeling time is so scarce that I have been afraid that I would get stuck on that step for an eternity!! Curious, did you also sand off and scribe all of the little square hatches on the sides of the fuselage?

Chris

Good gracious that looks good!

Thank you.

I am curious, I have never rescribed a kit before...how much time do you think you have in the whole rescribing process? The reason that I ask is that my modeling time is so scarce that I have been afraid that I would get stuck on that step for an eternity!!

I don't recall the exact amount of time, but it took quite a while- maybe 20 hours total. There are lots of intricate lines on the wings, vertical stabilizer, and the bottom of the fuselage. I spread the scribing out over several weeks so as not to drive myself crazy.

Curious, did you also sand off and scribe all of the little square hatches on the sides of the fuselage?

Yes, I sanded off everything including the access panels. I had scribing templates that made it easy to restore them.