IRIAF F-14A Tomcat "Alicat"

Finally the Persian cat is finished!

Been a fun build and my first participation in a group build ( go check out the Iran Iraq war groupbuild..there´ll be coming even more nice stuff from there!)

The cat is completely packed with resin and it was a bit challenging at times to make styrene meet :P However I think that the Gawa cat is a pretty nice kit and as long as you

dry fit parts and be a bit patient about it it fits together well and isn´t as hard to build as it´s ruomored, it´s just lots of parts and interesting assembly sollutions!

So you guys who have them in your stashes, pick ´em out and start building ´em :D

I had loads of support during the build and that´s how I like it, It´s better to recieve critique during the building process since you can rarely change anything after it´s built up!

So guys,thanx for all the feedback during the build.

Well I guess you want to see pictures now eh? and lots of them?

I´ll be getting to that in a moment.... first I thought I´d show my photo set up and explain a bit about how I take the pics :D You with me on this?

OKi, here we go!

My little improvised studio consists of a big A2 paper sheet, I use a black background for light objects, a grey or blue for dark objects... I avoid white since I think it´s to much

contrast with my shutter times (I´ll be getting back to that)

Anyways, for lighing I use a few ordinary desk lamps and I´ve covered lamp cones with paper tissue. It´s to difuse the light, spread it and avoid sharp reflexes from the light bulbs.

I cover the windows and the rest of the room is dark.. this makes the studio a bit mirky but that suits me fine because of the shutter times I´m using (again gonna explain that later).

I use 3 main light sources and have additional light from a desk lamp out of frame and a lilttle halogen lamp, these are to give ambient light.

IMG_4986.jpg

Oki, that´s the lil´ studio...

Here´s my lil´SLR, a I am a spammer, please report this post. D3100 with a 18-55 glass, standing on it´s tripod.

IMG_4987.jpg

Time to look at my camera set up...

First of all I put the camera in M, manual mode...and that of course means I have to set all the parameters myself.

IMG_4988.jpg

And here are the camera settings, I´ll explain the most importan settings :D

IMG_4989.jpg

The "M" in the upper left corner means I´m in manual mode.

I´m using a 2 second timed trigger, that is the exposure starts 2 seconds after I´ve pressed the trigger, that is so the camera is as vibration free as possible.

The bar on the right side shows:

I´m taking picture in RAW format, simplified it means each picture contains more information than a JPEG or GIF, and can be manipulated with greater range without loss of quality...you can change all the settings in a photo programe like Photoshop.

WB= white balance, is set in a manual mode where I´ve taken a picture of something white and the camera has adjusted to recognize it as white in that particular light. (there are modes for say using a flash, shadow, dayligth and so on.

ISO= the sensitivity of the image sensor, the higher value the more light sensitivity and the grainier the photo. I use ISO 100 for best quality pictures,and that means I have to have good lighting for my exposures.

AF-s= Auto focus

below that the symbo shows my auto focus mode, I use "one point" modethat is my aouto focus has 14 points it can focus on and I´ve manually chosen the pooint I want to focus on, it can be seen in the lower left corner of the display... it shows I´ve chosen the center point.

the rest of the symbols are not important.

in the center of the display is my shutter time 4", wich means I have a 4 second exposure. The reason I have such a long shutter time is because I want a deep field of depth. Field of depth is how much of and object is in focus in the Z-axis near and far of the focus point.

Since I want as much as possible of my model to be in focus I have to have a long exposure time to let enough light in. the shorter the exposure the shorter the field of depth you get.

The next and final important variable is Aperture, it´s shownb as the value F29 in the display and there´s a graphic representation of the aperture to the left of the shutter time. I´m using the smallest aperture (the smaller the aperture the higher the F-value) since I`m using such a long

shutter time I can´t let too much light in at a time since it would result in an over exposured picture and be totally white.

After laborating with shutter time and aperture in my lignting I found the combination of 4" and F29 to give me the best pictures and biggest field of depth.

Had I had brighter light sources I could have shorter shutter time.

Hope ya enjoyed a short intro to model photography :D

whaddya say we look at some Alicat pics now ?

End of part 1

We're not worthy!

hehe, sure you are :D

Thanx Bigasshammm :D

Awesome, looks more than great...

Thanx vesthepes

Got pretty nice pics of it...getting better with the camera :D

Wow really nice

i really enjoyed following along on your WIP to this result

Thanx for following the build,Neo :D

Now, what´s your kitty like?

Amazing cat!

Congratulations.

Did you use the Wolpack conversion?

Thanx pacheco :D

I used the Wolfpack IFR set only.

Another Gorgeous build, Janne !

Love that paint and weathering ...

-Gregg

Thanx Gregg :D

You know me and weathering :D

Great job!

Thanx Fly-n-hi :D

Beautiful job! Thanks for the tutorial on the photos as well. The camera looks very familiar! I shoot with a I am a spammer, please report this post. D3100 and use just about the same settings you do. I do have a question, though. How do you change the timer from 10 seconds to 2 seconds? I get impatient waiting for that 10 seconds to go by. :rofl:

What can I say? It looks smashing :worship: Do you work for I am a spammer, please report this post., because you may have just sold me on this camera :P Thanks for all the tips and for always taking the time to post your work and respond with grace. Please don't ever stop building models Janne.

:cheers:

/Jesse

Beautiful job! Thanks for the tutorial on the photos as well. The camera looks very familiar! I shoot with a I am a spammer, please report this post. D3100 and use just about the same settings you do. I do have a question, though. How do you change the timer from 10 seconds to 2 seconds? I get impatient waiting for that 10 seconds to go by. :rofl:

Thanx Darren :D

To change the timer you enter the menue, then the properties folder ( the one with a wrench symbol) and scroll down to the timed trigger, click OK and then your in the timer menue where you can chose either 10 seconds or 2 seconds delay :D

CHeers!

Wow, fantastic details...all those goodies paid off well...

being an iranian jet, do they carry US weapons?

Might be something unique...a tomcat carrying russian weapons?