Looking for B-24 Parts

I just got the 1/72 Minicraft kit of the B-24 L. If possible, I would like to build a "D" but I need parts from another boxing. Does anybody have the nose sections and the transparencies so I could convert my kit and build the D?

Thanks!

Carter

Edited by Ace1

Well, I've returned from my spelunking expedition (lost a couple of native porters along the way, but they knew the risks) but sadly the quest was a failure. I've got a bunch of spare Minicraft B-24 bits, but unfortunately the only nose sections are for the turret-nose versions. I do have a spare clear nose "greenhouse," and could send you a couple of B-24J nose side pieces. It would require some surgery, but that's you could probably make it work.

SN

Thanks, Steve.

I wrote Minicraft to see if I could get the nose section and the transparencies to make the "D".

If Minicraft doesn't have the parts in their spares, I'll look into the Squadron canopy set for either the D or the J--does their "D" set have the nose peices? And does the "J" set fix that front turret?

If I am still scratching my head after that, next I could use the kit as-is and sand/cut down the nose turret. That's too bad about the nose-turret they went with--way too big, and it makes the model look like a toy. Otherwise, the kit looks really good. It'll be a nice big build after all the 1/72 single seaters I usually do.

Anybody have experience with the Squadron parts for this beast?

Carter

The Squadron set for the D only includes the clear nose cap, and not the fuselage side panels. It also includes a new top for the tail turret..but none of their sets address the issues with the nose turrets. As far as I know, the size of the Minicraft nose turret is fine..the problem is that they molded it in front and back halves, which leaves an impossible-to-eliminate seam that's not there on the real aircraft. Falcon (maker of the Squadron Clear Vax sets) says that the nose turrets are too deep to vacuform.

SN

Edited by Steve N

To me the turret looks too big and sits too high, and some of the reviews say this too. Could the turret be fixed by sanding off the bottom maybe 1/32" to 1/16" and raising/cutting the MG slits a like amount? Thinning the top of the turret by sanding with 1000 and 1500 then hitting it with Future might help too.

Meawnhile, hopefully Minicraft can come through with the parts for the "D" nose.