Need help on weathering!

Not to say that CAG birds go to the wash rack more than any other plane on the line, it's just that they're often done up in high gloss paint which repels dirt and grime far better than other low vis schemes. So unless it's been sitting in a boneyard for a few years, it's unlikely to see one this weathered while being in service. As was stated, at least you know what your limits are now. Just curious, what did you use to create the drip effect down the side, and the yellow fluid streak aft of the leading edges on the wing??

Well to be honest with everyone this is the first time I have ever tried to weather like this. The other 2 times before was just a dark sludge wash all over wipe off and done. This time I tried a couple new ideas and it worked really well but I think I should have saved it for a different aircraft.

The streaks running down the aircraft are done with pencil lead. I rubbed a pencil over sand paper to make a pile of lead then used a small brush and rubbed it where I wanted it. After I was happy with it I rubbed it down with a dry t-shirt to get it to lighten up. Kind of like an artist does with shading when using nothing but pencils.

The Hydro stains were done with straight Raw Sienna acrylic paint mixed with equal amounts of hand soap. I used a flat bristle brush and ran it in the direction that the aircraft flies in order to get this affect. The stuff comes off really well even on flat paint. If you end up with too much paint on the bird I just take a q-tip dipped in water and roll out the excess water to make it damp, then I roll the q-tip over the stain till it lightens up to my liking.

After I'm done I seal it with Krylon Matte finish straight from the rattle can. That stuff sprays like a dream. I tried to spray it from my airbrush and had horrible results. Hope this helps. JOSH

Hey Josh, Other than the heavy weathering on a CAG bird, it looks great! thegoodsgt gave you a great idea about leaving your model as is and using it as a reference. Another option would be to take a lot of photos for your future reference. Going this route would allow you to try and de-weather your model. This would allow you to do something with your model rather than leaving it like it is. As a worse case scenario, you could strip the whole thing and start over, and do it like you want to. Whatever you decide to do with your F-8, this will be a great learning experience for you and every one who reads this topic. Good Luck, Josh!!!

I love the weathering!!!

I never saw one of those birds, so I wouldn't know if it's accurate, but who cares, it looks like the real thing.

So I'd say, unless your hobby room is constantly overrun by people who were around these planes, don't worry about it.

It looks mighty fine! And honestly: if you have a problem with it not being accurate, during the really busy campaigns, they sometimes looked like this and if you are not convinced, fade the paintjob a bit and make it an abandoned AMARC-bird. Looks great to me!

Is this a wartime bird? For an aircraft flying daily missions on Yankee station, it may not be too far off.

I agree with this - it looks a lot like pictures of aircraft that have been flying over Vietnam for a while. I think your type of weathering (ignoring quantity of weathering) is spot on - it has that "caught in a dirty rain storm" look that airplanes with that paint scheme had.

I personally think it's too heavy. My experience on the flightline has brought me to the "Chaos Theory of Model Weathering" - no two aircraft look alike (once they leave the factory) - and the weathering is random. Way too many modelers make everything symmetrical with regards to weathering - spoiling the realistic finish they're trying to achieve.

It's also my belief that too little is a far better alternative than too much.

I think the only thing that's a little distracting for me isn't so much that it's too heavy, it's just too consistantly heavy. The panel lines have consistent amount of grime around them and are all about the same heaviness. Real plane's surfaces weather differently depending on what's underneath the panel(oil, hydraulics etc...)as well as how it sits on the ground and in the air. Also, the areas between the panel might be a bit too un-weathered as well. I think it's all about contrast. What looks odd about heavy panel lines is often that there is too much contrast between the line and the panel, not necessarily the panel being too heavy. Also, a bird that weathered would probably have been touched up quite a bit so the grey area would be more spotty probably. So having said that, it may not be weathered enough(think tone variations and pushing the markings back a little) Keep in mind that is a VERY minor and extremely picky view. I think it's very well done and looks great so go with what you like. :thumbsup:

Bill

Edited by niart17