Gloss coat recommendation?

The only place i dont use future is over White

i buil a 1/35 Revell EC-145 Rega and the future yellow majorly on the white in a matter of weeks. i stripped it and applyed Humbrol Gloss and it look fine. Im still using that same future bottle and never had the same issue(i airbrush it on now or dip my canopys)

In Swanny's Future page, he mentions that in all the cases he's investigated, the yellowing was actually the white paint underneath the Future, not the Future itself.

Has anyone ever had a canopy dipped in Future eventually turn yellow? I don't think I've ever heard of that.

Stacey

Yeah i read that before but it dosent explain why stipping future with 70% Alchool the brushing on humbrol gloss solved the problem! i looked at it last night and that chopper is still a nice white. So if it was the paint it should have been yellowed too

Edited by Neo
  • 3 months later...

Liquitex Gloss and High Gloss varnish (Matte and Satin also available).

Alclad Aqua Gloss looks awefully like Liquitex Gloss. Both say not to shake or stir the bottle and spray at high pressure. Perhaps Alclad Aqua Gloss is the same stuff.

They are made for brush application so work fine for that.

I always airbrush them. I use them without thinner with 0.3-0.5mm needles (30psi) but ad some thinner (water + retarder) when I spray with fine needles (0.2mm).

The big advantage is that they don't Yellow like Future.

Here's a Future bottle I had for approx 2 years here in Thailand. Clearly Yellowed.

IMG_0927b.jpg

If you leave the bottle in a cupboard, the bottles content will not yellow. I have had a bottle of Future for over 10 years that I keep in my hobby desk cupboard and it has not yellowed at all.

In New Zealand Future (Klear Pledge...) has been deleted from the shelves. There may be a odd bottle somewhere around the country but very hard to find. I myself have been looking for a cheap alternative from the specialized model brand clear coats.

I am about to trial some products from a local hardware chain that has the same initial use as Future. I will post my results

Gav

Try Vallejo's clear coat range if available.

If you leave the bottle in a cupboard, the bottles content will not yellow. I have had a bottle of Future for over 10 years that I keep in my hobby desk cupboard and it has not yellowed at all.

I didn't think about that. My Future does not yellow in the container, but I keep it in a closet.

I've tried the new Alclad Aqua Gloss on my last build and look as a perfect substitute of the Future;it can use for canopy dipping and brushed over the model 'cause have self-leveling properties.

Is an acrilic paint so no smell during the paint session,dry ultraquickly but, despite the producer suggestion of clean the airbrush with water, I raccomend to use a more strong thinner like alchool ar Tamiya Thinner.

No very cheaper an the other hand, I've bought mine bottle ( 120 ml ) 9,90 Euros.

Gianni

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:02 PM

Here is a new kid on the block:

Posted Image

It is pre-thinned and can be sprayed straight from the bottle. You can order it directly from Testors: Testors Acrylic Gloss Clear

The matt version is also available.

Have you used it yet?

Just sprayed a couple of Mirage 2000N drop tanks about half an hour ago at 22 psi over Tamiya acrylics, and it laid down smoothly. Not pebbly at all. Very easy to airbrush. Absolutely no thinning required.

After one coat:

aztek_gloss_clear01.jpg

aztek_gloss_clear02.jpg

I use Tamiya X-22 thinned with Tamiya acrylic thinner as well. I exclusively use Model Master enamels and I seal it with the X-22... No problems at all... Then flat coat lacquer on top of the Tamiya X-22... No problems... I spray enamel on top of the X-22 then when I muck it up, simply use mineral spirits to erase to boo boo.... No problems, ever.... Sprayed enamel and lacquers on top of this stuff... Model still looking good to this day. Oh, and it sprays on super easy!!!

/Jesse

Edited by JesniF-16

Gunze Sangyo Mr Super Clear Gloss is the best but expensive

What about compatibility with this? Can it be sprayed over enamals?

Will it stand up against an enamel wash?

I am considering to give the Gunze Mr. Color range a try and might order this along...

TIA

Ingo