Just thought of something, another of my first models was the old , old Enterprise. I remember I painted it in the garage with DARK blue paint we had for some unknown reason. Figured the blue would dry a bit lighter.

Mom told me it wouldn't and she was right. Also remember the decals flaked off within a day or two of flying it around in the back yard.

So, now I am going to build a opened up Enterprise of very questionable quality. So far dry fitting things show me a great amount of putty is going to be needed.

DSC_0687.jpg

Wow! Neat project, and backstory! I had a Monogram A-10 that I spray-painted in various shades of green and one dark gray. I came up with my own camouflage scheme and hand painted a sharkmouth on it. It lasted years. I recall throwing out many of my completed builds when I moved in with my wife so I could make room for new ones.

I can't wait to see how this turns out!

Aaron

Sorry Phantom, I've been too busy at home the past couple weeks to make an appropriate appearance in this forum. Nice work on the Enterprise! I didn't realize it was a cutaway.

Had I given an opinion earlier, I would have voted for the Enterprise. How long did this take you so far?

Aaron

The Enterprise is very well done, considering it isn't the greatest kit of the subject. Granted it is more accurate than the 18" Enterprise kit AMT designed in the 1960s, but the cutaway features are more of a liability than an asset and most of them that I have seen built have been finished as non-cutaway models.

I'm glad you went with "Enterprise" instead of "Constellation" given that to do a true Constellation, an 18" kit is a better starting point since that is what was used in the episode to make the trashed version of the ship (they literally used one of the first production run AMT kits to make the Connie).

I have a feeling with the Polar Lights 1/350 TOS E only two months away, not many cutaways will likely be finished from this point on. But it is nice to know that they are still capable of being finished to a high standard, even out of the box.

Edited by Jay Chladek
  • 5 weeks later...