So I was wondering if there's ever been a group of say 5-10 people who built one model together. I.e. one person starts the cockpit then sends it off to the next person who does some of the building then passes it along. Etc etc. thought it might be a cool idea to do with a cheap kit or something to start. Everyone pays own shipping and then we can decide what to do with it once it's been built. I'd be down and probably have a few kits that could be donors for this. Wondering if there's any interest.

K

Neat concept. Let's break it down: When do you determine if a stage is completed? What if its not to some of the participants' standars? The cost of shipping will increase as the kit gets bulkier and closer to completion. How do you determine who gets what stage of the build?

If we could nail these down and fill the gaps, so to speak, I'd be willing to participate.

Aaron

The Airfix guys over on Hyperscale did this a couple of years ago with an Airfix Hudson. It came out quite nice. You can probably still access the topic there by searching for it. It might give you an idea of the logistics.

Search on "WAGB", their acronym for "World Airfix Group Build".

Edited by Grey Ghost 531

Cool idea.

I would imagine you would want to define some ground rules, like how much extra detailing or correcting you would want to allow, or maybe just keep it OOB (probably best), or assign a time limit (some people can scratchbuild faster than I can kit build). You would probably also want to say that altering someone elses work would not be allow unless it wouldn't allow the build to be completed for whatever reason (For example, person A glued the fuse together without putting the cockpit in first) You wouldn't be allowed to say repaint the missiles because you didn't like the shade of paint the previous person used.

As far as who does what, you should first figure out a logical breakdown of the assembly process. For example (assuming an aircraft):

Cockpit/Interior

Basic assembly (includes filling and sanding seams)

Painting

Decaling

Weathering/sealing

Final assembly

Once you define that and have figured out who all would like to participate, have them list their preferences. (I love doing Cockpit/Interior work and painting, but I hate filling and sanding.) Once you figure out everyone's preferences, you would assign the tasks to everybody and away you go.

As far as what to do with it afterwards, find a museum to donate it to, or a veteran, or something of that nature. You could even dovetail this in with one of the models for the veterans project that one of the guys here on ARC is doing.

Oh, and you could count me in by the way. (I'll try not to bog the project down!)

-Dave

Cool idea.

I would imagine you would want to define some ground rules, like how much extra detailing or correcting you would want to allow, or maybe just keep it OOB (probably best), or assign a time limit (some people can scratchbuild faster than I can kit build). You would probably also want to say that altering someone elses work would not be allow unless it wouldn't allow the build to be completed for whatever reason (For example, person A glued the fuse together without putting the cockpit in first) You wouldn't be allowed to say repaint the missiles because you didn't like the shade of paint the previous person used.

As far as who does what, you should first figure out a logical breakdown of the assembly process. For example (assuming an aircraft):

Cockpit/Interior

Basic assembly (includes filling and sanding seams)

Painting

Decaling

Weathering/sealing

Final assembly

Once you define that and have figured out who all would like to participate, have them list their preferences. (I love doing Cockpit/Interior work and painting, but I hate filling and sanding.) Once you figure out everyone's preferences, you would assign the tasks to everybody and away you go.

As far as what to do with it afterwards, find a museum to donate it to, or a veteran, or something of that nature. You could even dovetail this in with one of the models for the veterans project that one of the guys here on ARC is doing.

Oh, and you could count me in by the way. (I'll try not to bog the project down!)

-Dave

Yeah that pretty much nails it. Figured for cost would have to keep this to North America for at least the first go round. Figure something small/easy for the first time. Maybe a 1:48 Corsair, P-51 or Revell F-18E or something. 1:72 may be too small and done too quickly for something like this (sorry Dave) unless it's a larger 1:72 kit.

Once we got a list of who would want to participate depending on the kit we could break it down into how many steps need be involved. Then based on number of steps would determine how many people would get included. More complex kits = more people and so on.

For at least the first time it would definitely be oob. No need for accuracy sticklers since it may get destroyed in the mail anyway.

I think as far as shipping goes it will leave destination one in a large enough box that it should be able to travel in the entire time so shipping cost should stay relatively the same. Unless we include Canada then those people may have a higher cost for just those rounds. (to and from)

Maybe each person involved signs the instruction sheet or something? Or the Box top!

If this got popular and we had several builds we could rotate so everyone would have a chance to do something different. Then the last person could keep it each time or do whatever.

Document each stage on ARC with photos and whatnots.

Where should I start a new thread? General Discussion? Keep this one here?

Well, sign me up even if it's not 1:72 (I'll try not to smash it to bits when I get it). I'd even be willing to chip in for a Tamiya kit just for ease of assembly. Instead of one of the builders keeping it, I really think we should look into donating to someone.

-Dave

It's a really nice idea indeed that came along a few times on a Dutch forum I'm posting on.

I won't participate in an international group build as sending a package abroad from where I live is as expensive as five new kits (stupid mail privatization). And I would be afraid the model doesn't survive its trip when it reaches it completion. But I would definitely follow the build here on ARC!!

• 2 weeks later...