Seaking Commando HC4

Hi all,

I´m going to start the Dragon Cyberhobby Seaking Commando HC4 in 1/72 soon. It will be a partly What-If-build, but I´d like to post "serious" questions anyway.

Starting with the first:

- What kind of doorgun-armament is possible for the HC4? The kit comes with a M2 .50cal gun... Is that a possible option?

- Any options to attach a second door-gun in one of the windows on the port side of the helicopter?

HAJO

http://www.eliteukforces.info/air-support/Commando-Helicopter-Force/sea-king-hc4.php

check out the pic on this website for some ideas. I would also refer back to the weapons configuration on the vietnam era HH-3C with the three weapons stations. Of course the HC.4 is closer related to the SH-3. YOu can just omit the ramp gun, or since this is a "What-If" take a look at the tail gun assembly on the PBY-5A Catalina. It was designed for a hull shaped aircraft. Just some ideas :moai:

Edited by ccrqw602002

Thanks for the input.

I`ll post some pictures of the current progress. I´m not sure if I try to slow it down a little bit - I´m waiting for the new Revell pilots-set to arrive.

IMG_3130.jpg

As someone already pointed out, the kit has no painting instructions. You have to guess (or look it up otherplace) or do a "guesstimate", which is my favorite kind of doing these things. They also forgot to indicate which holes in the fuselage have to be drilled out...

I have the impression they ran out of time with this kit, as they were aiming to release it as "Falkland War Anniversary".

HAJO

HC.4's if they are packing, would be usually fitted with a GPMG which is a UK built variant of the Belgian FN MAG, I would have my doubts if one could be mounted in the port side windows,

but it's your model, you can build it how you like. Just found that they can use the M2 though, known as the M3M variant, AFAIK.

-----------------

Here you see all the things that the "plastic surgeon" Dr. Hajo needs to create some zombies... ehm, I mean, some Royal Navy pilots and a bunch of SAS:

IMG_3138.jpg

And here is the result, although the crew and the door gunner (top row) were already done some days ago:

IMG_3139.jpg

For the four SAS-operators I needed about the time it takes to listen to two dozend songs of my MP3-player and a quick dash to the gas-station to fill up my car, so my wifey can drive away early in the morning. ;)

IMG_3140.jpg

Here is the crew, pilots already painted, door gunner only got a green jacket so far, so still needs more paint.

And the SAS:

I used several Preiser-figures, and even though the SAS is british, many items, especially weapons they use, are of US origin. I tried to give the two persons that will be close to the cargo door (the kneeling one and the one pointing) a very "heavy loaden"-look, with lots of backs and equipment hanging around.

IMG_3143.jpg

All this is also one of the main reasons why I love building helicopters: You can display a lot of action with figures like these ones, making the model to a mini-diorama, without doing a "real" diorama!

HAJO

Today the working program was dominated by painting:

IMG_3149.jpg

I love how the DBDU of the door gunner and the snipers-cape came out. Also the AWP-sniper rifle got some more details and I worked a little bit on its shape. Now it looks a bit more like the real thing.

HAJO

OK, the SAS has entered the helo!

This is how it looks, the first two pictures still without the team-leader:

IMG_3155_zpsac6f784e.jpg

IMG_3156_zps216caede.jpg

With the team-leader it´s even more crowded in the back, and I still plan to put some backs and rucksacks in there...:

IMG_3160_zps701282ff.jpg

IMG_3158_zps280372e8.jpg

HAJO

No pics today, because I´m out of town. Just some advice: If you follow the plan then you will encounter part "C10", to be mounted between the halves of the dog house. Well, "C10" is the disk that covers the top of the rotorhead (you will see it in the plan as well, about 3 steps later), while the part that´s mentionend as initial C10 is no part of the kit!!

Accidently, the RoG Seaking has a part that looks exactly like the one mentionend in the plan, and it goes to the exact same location... Dumb mistake while copying other instructions, Dragon??? ;)

And another glitch: The clear part "E2" is NOT the clear part for the window on the starboard-site just above th egear, but the clear part for the cabin-door...

Just another example how they rushed the kit into sales to get it ready before the 30th Falkland Anniversary is done.

HAJO

Looking good so far. Which version of the rotor blades are you planning to use?

The mistakes in their instructions are not limited to this kit, I have some of their recent armour issues and there are mistakes in them as well???

Sounds like they need to hire a new proof reading department!?

Hmm, I think I will use the "old" blades that come with the kit. Can´t go for the "drooped down"-version, since the bird is literally in action. So I will most likely use the drooped up-version, but maybe I try to neutralize the effect a little bit.

HAJO

Some progress has been made, most notable the gears have been attached, so the helo is sitting on his own feet!

IMG_3173.jpg

I recommend to not glue parts no. 36 and 37 to the fuselage before attaching the main gear sponson and the assisting struts, because otherwise you will end up with a 2mm gap between the struts and 36/37!

IMG_3174.jpg

I also added a couple of smaller parts from the kit and my spare box - mostly antennas and some ECM-stuff. Still a couple of things to do before I can start painting it.

IMG_3175.jpg

HAJO

This is looking fab, you have made a sterling job of the figures. If this is anything to go by I think

the finished article will look outstanding too. Incidently on the kit a part was missed off, there should

be an upside down u shaped part where the spine meets the rotor/gearbox/engine housing, if you check out some pics

it should be easy to spot. Not sure if it would be easy to scratchbuild, then again I have my doubts if it

would matter too much if you left it as is.

Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

------------------

Edited by barkin mad

OK, the glueing-phase is finished, except for the clear parts. Now I will start painting (in about 10 minutes ;) ).

Without further comments some pictures of the helicopter that demonstrate the bigger and smaller parts that had to be added to make it look a bit more like the real thing. A special "thanks" goes to Dennis L. for supplying me with two IRCMs.

IMG_3183.jpg

IMG_3185.jpg

IMG_3187.jpg

IMG_3186.jpg

IMG_3188.jpg

IMG_3189.jpg

HAJO

OK, I´m quite pleased with the result of the painting, but unfortunately it´s very hard to capture it via digicam.

The first picture is taken with flash:

IMG_3190.jpg

And two pictures without flash, you can see the helo is already adapting to my work-desk with its camoflage. ;)

IMG_3195.jpg

IMG_3194.jpg

HAJO