Seaking Commando HC4

A last impression of the unfinished model - there are only some minor things to do, and I think I will be able to show the finished helicopter tomorrow.

IMG_3196.jpg

And on the weekend I will do some shots in our sandbox. I already tested it this late afternoon and it looked like the real desert. :)

HAJO

Looks really nice. Great job on it so far. I really lik eth efinish and crew/troopers in the back.

How different is the Wessex HC4 from the US Navy SH-3 Seaking or USAF HH-3 Green Giant? Could this be used as a base for either of them without too much modification?

Hmm, I hope Troschi will post an answer to your question, at least he should be able to clarifiy the SH-3 issue. As for the HH-3 - I highly doubt that you can do an easy scratchbuild using a Seaking as base.

Now here come pictures of the finished Commando, I hope you like them:

IMG_3198.jpg

IMG_3200.jpg

Yes, you are right, there's an Union Jack!

IMG_3199.jpg

IMG_3204.jpg

IMG_3203.jpg

Looks really nice. Great job on it so far. I really lik eth efinish and crew/troopers in the back.

How different is the Wessex HC4 from the US Navy SH-3 Seaking or USAF HH-3 Green Giant? Could this be used as a base for either of them without too much modification?

Here's troschi at your service...

Of course the Wessex (any mark) is different to the SH-3 and HH-3 - two completely different aircraft :whistle:

But I assume you meant "Westland HC.4"...

First of all: The HC.4 doesn't include any sponsons, so it would be difficult to build an USN SH-3 out of it (unless you get the sponsons from elsewhere). But, Dragon/Cyber-Hobby also released this kit as Westland Sea King AEW. 2 - with sponsons.

Second but: I strongly assume that Sikorsky Seaking versions will follow from Dragon/Cyber-Hobby. Just be patient...

The overall differences between a Westland and Sikorsky Sea King were already discussed somewhere else. Major points are oil cooler housing on port side underneath main rotor (Revell moulded on, Dragon seperate part), air inlet grilles above engines (Dragon provides different parts for that if I'm not mistaken), sponson shape (depends on Sea King version), horizontal stabilizer (depends on USN Sea King version), main rotorblades (Fujimi and Dragon provide only "old" metal ones, RoG provides only new Westland exclusive composite ones). Pilot's seats (Sikorsky used slightly different type of seat/cushion than Westland) and of course all the smaller outside parts which differ between different types/marks and users.

A conversion from this kit in particular to a HH-3? Not easier than with the Sea King kits we had before. Simply wipe out this idea. The differences in the fuselage arrangement tail boom design are way too big. The best option for that is still to grab the oooold Revell kit and modify this one with parts from either a Fujimi Seaking or a Revell Seaking (be careful with the rotor blades). The Dragon/ Cyber-Hobby kit is simply too expensive to cannibalize it.

Hope that helps you. If there are further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Edited by troschi

@Troschi

An once again I am simply amazed by the detailed knowledge you have about slight details on helicopters.

@Hajo

really nice and as always your SAS crew adds life to the modell. Too bad neither Dragon nor Revell has yet downscaled their Seakings to 1/144 scale.

Cheers

Thorsten

@Hajo

really nice and as always your SAS crew adds life to the modell. Too bad neither Dragon nor Revell has yet downscaled their Seakings to 1/144 scale.

Cheers

Thorsten

I thought a Sweet did a Sea King kit in 1/144 scale, granted I think they were Westland type.

--------------------------------

I thought a Sweet did a Sea King kit in 1/144 scale, granted I think they were Westland type.

--------------------------------

Actually I don't really care for the differences, availability and price are more of an issue, hence the wish for Revell to downsize their Sea King.

Cheers

Thorsten