I have a theme build going on aimed at building all the Japanese aircraft in the stash and since my Val build is getting close, I chose to start another. I could use a box-shaker right about now and this one seems a good candidate. Besides, Mom got this for me for Christmas a few years ago and it would be nice to show her I DO build them :)

A6M5a002.jpg

The kit has three decal options and the only one for a Mitsubishi aircraft is one posted to Rabaul in 1943-44. Which plays into what I've been up to lately as so far, all my builds in my theme have been Solomon Island Campaign builds. Plus, being stationed on Rabaul I have a shot at working on my weathering skills.

A6M5a004.jpg

I actually started this Wednesday by painting interior bits with WEM Colourcoats Mitsubishi Interior Green. While I was at it, I also burned up some of the MM Interior Metallic Blue I have in the stash, on a basecoat of Aluminum Metalizer.

A6M5a001.jpg

Hopefully I can get started on cockpit bits today.

Ken

So of course, I started with the wing (!). Clears a sprue and makes more room in the box. And I like empty boxes ;)

A6M5a008.jpg

A6M5a009.jpg

The wheel well is a seperate insert in this kit. The wing guns are also, with 2 options (one for the A6M5a). The gun bay covers on top and bottom of the wing are also inserts with the 5a option. And the wing tips on the upper wing wrap around the lower.

Far cry from the old A6M5c kit.

Ken

• 1 month later...

Y'know, the nice thing about the new Tamiya kit moldings is once you get past the cockpit the rest of the build is over before you know it:

A6M5a010.jpg

A6M5a011.jpg

I painted the ID stripes on the leading edge as kit decals tend to be transparent. Now it gets to sit aside for a while until I resolve my clear coat issue (as mentioned in the Val thread).

Ken

Edited by WymanV
  • 4 weeks later...

This build went by so quick I totally forgot about taking cockpit pics. The paints are WEM Colourcoats-Mitsubishi Cockpit Green, Topside Green and Gray. And-it's done:

A6M5a017.jpg

Ken