S-3A/B Viking Torpedos

Does anyone know what the type, number, or name of the torpedos or bombs that the S-3 carried? I am building the ESCI, 1/48, S-3A viking subhunter. I planed to paint it in the Gull Gray/White Scheme. I know the torpedos in the kit call for all gray. Were they painted different colors when the S-3 was in the earlier Gull Gray/White scheme. Also the type, name, or number.

Thank You in advance.

Also I am looking for an S-3A Viking COD in 1/48 scale if anyone wants to get rid of theirs.

shmlmm68@frontier.com

Mk.46 torps wouldn't have been carried externally for operational use. AFAIK/IIRC the Mk.46 was only carried externally (on anything other than helicopters) for ferrying purposes only. Any of the Mk.80 series weapons could have been carried as well.

These photos of exercise weapons may be useful, these particular weapons are loaded on a P-3, but they could also have been carried by the S-3:

Mk.46s on a transport trailer:

Mk46.jpg

Mk.82 Snake Eye:

Snakeye.jpg

DST-36 Mine:

DSTMk402.jpg

DSTMk40.jpg

Other than colors these particular Mines were basically (externally) Mk.82 500-lb Snake Eyes.

Does anyone know what the type, number, or name of the torpedos or bombs that the S-3 carried? I am building the ESCI, 1/48, S-3A viking subhunter. I planed to paint it in the Gull Gray/White Scheme. I know the torpedos in the kit call for all gray. Were they painted different colors when the S-3 was in the earlier Gull Gray/White scheme. Also the type, name, or number.

Thank You in advance.

Also I am looking for an S-3A Viking COD in 1/48 scale if anyone wants to get rid of theirs.

shmlmm68@frontier.com

For an S-3A:

MK-46 in the bomb bay only. Max was 4 (2 per side). Warshots were white, but the REX and EXTORPs we dropped were much more colorful (click on links below).

MK-80 series bombs could be carried on the wing pylons and 500lb MK-82's could be carried in the bomb bay as well. A single MK-84 2000lb bomb could be carried on each parent wing rack, or a slant load of MK-83's with a TER. 3 x MK-82 could be carried on the wing pylon with a TER. MK-20 Rockeye was also a wing pylon option with three on a TER or single weapon on the parent rack. Harpoon/Maverick/SLAM-ER/MK-50 torpedo didn't come along until the S-3B days. Of course the MK-50/60 series Destructor and Quickstrike mine series could be carried...along with the larger MK-52 and CAPTOR mine series. If you really wanted to get interesting, Zuni rocket pods were also used on the S-3A and B (parent wing racks). Not very common but they were used. Rockets fell out of favor due to safety concerns onboard carriers, I never saw rockets on a S-3B while I was flying them all through the 90's and into 2000. I knew folks that shot them out at Fallon or El Centro...but that was rare.

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/16/t/88412.aspx?sort=DESC

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/25/Mk_46_torpedo_dropped_off_California_1987.JPEG

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/10/Mk46-at_SH-3_Sea_King.JPG

Cheers

Collin

Edited by Collin