Revised CVW letter code for CVW-17?

I have photos and have only found 1 photo posted on US Navy offical site(on a "Week in Review" slideshow-week of Aug 20-26,or was!?)of VFA-94 "Mighty Shrikes" recent re-assignment back USS Carl Vinson(they were there during Op Enduring Freedom opening Oct 2001 CVW-11)to CVW-17,the Navy site just happened to have only 1 photo of the 'CAG' bird in it's orange and black markings with large shrike on tails(vert stabs)being moved to parking spot by deck crews.

You can just make out the NEW letter code change behind slime light and rudder 'NA' in a standard style orange/black shadow on 'CAG' and medium solid gray on the 2 aircraft 405,412/NA line birds, I have pics of at Rocky mountian Airshow in Broomfield,CO Aug24-26 2012.

The pilots couldn't/wouldn't tell me if this was a permenant code letter change for CVW-17,best known since being stood up as a CVW in 1966 with the often stylised 'AA' codes.

My research came up with the use of this by former VC-4/VF(AW)-4 and ATG-1(Air Task Group One) from early 1957-Feb 19 1959.

Has anybody else besides our Navy/marines or associated access members out there seen these markings and can comfirm if it is an offical letter change,since CVW-17 assigned aircraft are with Carl Vinson(PACFLT)in CA?

And like CVW-14 is now broke up,it's formerlly assigned VFA-22/81/25/113 aren't with the CVW or another(MAG?)that I've found VFA-94 IS THE SOLE VFA..,and VAQ-134 as been transfered to CVW-8 'AJ'but the HS,HSM,VAW,VRC are still assigned to CVN70.

http://www.gonavy.jp/AIRPACf.html

http://search.usa.gov/search?query=Week+in+Review&btnG=%C2%A0&utf8=%E2%9C%93&affiliate=navy_all

Terry

NA-204 VAW-125

LINK

I think you meant "604" but more importantly,thanks Tomas and Gregg for the quick and interesting responses..!!

Where did you find this gonavy.jp link I didn't see it on the website only BBS II aircraft types photos?

I'm emailing the webmaster again on this site,about your findings.

Now to search out VFA-22,113 in the new 'NA' markings. *Corrected as -94 took the place of -25 as the fourth unit in the CVW.

I also read on another site about naval aviation:http://navalaviationnews.navylive.dodlive.mil/

that CVW-14 was reversed in being disestablished a while back...,first I ever read that..??!

Terry

Edited by Tophat25

since CVW-17 is going to be a permanent member of the PAC Fleet, it makes sense that they get assigned an "N" code for the wing,,,,,,it is what should have been done with CVW-16, back in the day, when they formed up and then made all PAC deployments, but kept on using their Lant tail code (AH)

Where did you find this gonavy.jp link I didn't see it on the website only BBS II aircraft types photos?

I'm emailing the webmaster again on this site,about your findings.

Link is www.gonavy.jp. Go to link on the right side named Message Board I. There are lots of photos, usually from Japan (US Air Bases or JASDF Air Bases), but you shloud find some pics from USA.

:thumbsup:

Link is www.gonavy.jp. Go to link on the right side named Message Board I.

Found it!!

Just had to scrool down REAL FAST through all the fine photos,interesting that someone whould have posted it on a Japanese-based military info web site,I wonder where was the E-2C,from the background It looks like an airshow somewhere in the states,as the trucks are American made.

And that the unit(VAW-125)...,so far elected to put the new code in a stylised fashion,instead of VFA-22,81,94 now using a "standard" block inline style N ,in the same positions,between the vert control surface/slime lights. A

Let's see if -81,which is the one long time unit associated with CVW-17 will come up with a new style for this,and will it still contain the familier 'bolt in it!!?

One possiblity is along the angled inside line of the 'N' connected to a lower or to the upper left on one side of tails,for the 'A' as a 'bolt.

:thumbsup:

Terry

Edited by Tophat25

VFA-22 in NA.... COCKS

Hmm,I googled that unit yesterday morning and at that time flickr didn't show a post for it,and unless someone else did one,this would be the most current markings update photo posting.

And I ask the poster where it was also taken.

I don't know about you guys in this thread,but for one thing I DON'T LIKE the Navy.mil change of the photo gallery..it's much harder to find a unit or subject,as now it's a one by one search!!

:bandhead2:

Thanks for the post link.

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

Here's Gary Verner's (skyhawkpc)photos of similar shots I took,but mine were with a Fuji 35mm disposable,since my harder to find Ricoh Zoom battery was low,guess it might time to take advantage of that "Waxman Camera" going out of business clearance for a digital!!

VFA-94 BuNo 164262 405/NA and BuNo 164215,412/NA,F/A-18C(N)'s:

F/A-18C Hornet BuNo 164262

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

Be on the lookout for VAW-116 Sun Kings E-2Cs sporting the NA tailcode. Their official website now has a CVW-17 link instead of a CVW-2 link. And looks like VAW-113 will be filling the vacancy in CVW-2.

I was wondering if VAW-125 would transfer out of CVW-17, since they are still on the East Coast. But I wonder where they will go now?? Maybe take over some duties of VAW-77 since they are going away??

Jeff

I was wondering if VAW-125 would transfer out of CVW-17, since they are still on the East Coast. But I wonder where they will go now?? Maybe take over some duties of VAW-77 since they are going away??

Jeff

A little bird tells me VAW-125 is being prepped for transition to the E-2D Advanced Hawkeye...

-Scoobs